main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [MAD MEN] Guy walks into an advertising agency...

Discussion in 'Community' started by kingthlayer, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I think this Heinz storyline has potential especially if turns into a turf war between the two agencies, with Peggy and Don at the centre of it.

2. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Agreed, it could be a very interesting storyline, or it could lead to something else. Most every character who has left SCDP hasn't been shown as often as Peggy has and we rarely see the goings on of other firms. Something is definitely up.

On another note, I am somewhat glad to see Pete finally get what was coming to him and I really wish Don would figure out just where his loyalties lie and stick to them.

3. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Pete! [face_rofl]

EDIT: also, so Don = The creepy little kid? :p

4. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    That has been the same in the previous seasons with the flashbacks from Dick/Don's childhood.

Another thought I just had - I'm wondering if the multiple mentions of the Tet Offensive will somehow loop back to involve the soldier Don met in Hawai'i and the lighter. It could also be nothing, but it being referred to in the broadcasts (and distinct enough for your average viewer to hear/understand it) made me wonder why they would bother with putting it in if there wasn't already a specific reason for including it. But then it wouldn't be the first time such events have been referred to and not had any bearing on the story. Still makes me wonder...

5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I think it's just to set the time frame.

6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i loved trudy telling pete off so much, but i'm sad that it seems like we might not see much more of her from here on out.

7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, I'm hoping we stop following Pete and it just becomes Mad Trudy.

I loved the Pete-Don parallel. Pete screws up his next-door affair right away, and handles things with Trudy pathetically. Don feels worse about it, but completely compartmentalises and stays out of trouble.

I was really glad to see the Jaguar decision come back to bite the company in the ass. I retroactively feel a lot better about that decision now that we know the show will have continuing fallout from it.

8. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Trudy's line might have been the best part of Mad Men since sad don draper.

tom likes this.
  9. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    Trudy smack down.

10. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    Good to see the ****storm continuing to fall on pete this season. and I thought season 5 was bad for him...

11. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Harry's best scene ever.

12. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    This episode is kicking all kinds of ass. Is there anything better than watching Don react to a swinger proposition? Plus Harry making a fool of himself, more mockery of Meredith, Dawn being an actual character, and Bert's new office? Best of the season, so far.

Oh, and now Don listening to Peggy pitch. Amazing.

13. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I agree. Liked Don's begrudging smile of approval while he was snooping on Peggy's presentation too.

Edit- Great ending, too. The lady from ER is seeming more and more like a female version of Don, understanding of the inner battle.

Definite 10/10 episode.

14. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    Loved seeing Joan assert herself as the Alpha female at SCDP, and I do feel for Dawn, knowing that she is just a secretary AND the token black person around the firm all while having to deal with the drama and chaos to which we're accustomed to seeing around there.

Don's squirming at the orgy proposal was easily the best scene. It seems to take quite a bit to make Don uneasy and the followup to it was also well done. Still, his cheating on Megan is pissing me off and is sending him into levels of douchebagginess not seen since...

Harry Crane. Is it possible for him to NOT act like such a douchebag? Apparently he never learned the value of keeping your head low and letting your work speak for itself and instead just HAS to go making a fool out of himself when whoring for attention. I have worked with people like him and the things said about him behind his back are the same things said about the people I worked with.

While on the subject of people we once worked with, I loved Don listening in on Peggy's presentation to Heinz. If the drama from the encounter in the hallway wasn't enough, the drama of what came next was the icing on the cake. What made the scene even better was Stan's muted reaction to it all as he knows good darned and well that the blame for it falls squarely upon his shoulders when he shared it with Peggy in last week's ep.

This is probably the best episode of the season thus far. I am sure there is something else coming along which will blow this one out of the water, but it was damn near perfect and didn't let the viewer down for one second. These are the kinds of episodes I will miss once Mad Men has finished its run.

15. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    Great episode. If you had told me a couple years ago that I'd be on the edge of my seat during an advertising pitch I'd prolly be like, "lol k" but that back to back pitches had me freaking out. And not only was Peggy's better but her stealing Don's line while he was listening was INCREDIBLE.

Harry Crane needs to chill out. I wish Lane was still around so he could beat the crap outta him like he did Pete.

Don's being such a hypocritical douche when it comes to Megan's job. ugh.

16. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Dawn and her friend complaining about rich white people and their problems was funny.

Harry making a fool of himself and getting a year's worth of money out of it.

And yes, Don calling Megan a prostitute for kissing onscreen and then going straight (well, almost) to his mistress? Ass.

themetresgained likes this.
  17. George Roper

Oct 31, 2012
    I love how normal Cosgrove is.

Other than his science fiction writing, of course.

18. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I do enjoy occasionally being reminded in very striking terms that Don is a huge *******. Once in a while, you might start to forget. Then you have an episode like this one and they do a fantastic job of throwing it into sharp relief again. It'll swing into this, but then we'll also be reminded that Don knows he's an *******. And that's where it gets balanced out once again as the brilliant character study that it is.

Ah Joan. It's so hard, because on the one hand she actually did deserve more power and respect. And instead she was just treated as an object and thankless worker bee for 15 years. When she actually got that power, she did it through... letting herself be used as an object. So much for respect. I've always thought the tragedy of Joan was that if she were 5 years younger, and not so pretty, she would have been Peggy. But she was too entrenched in the office as the indisposible pretty secretary who made the place run. In many ways, she just can't ever be anything else.

And yay for Dawn starting to get her own storylines. I completely understand that they couldn't have black characters in the show (outside of Carla) prior to about now, or the end of last season, for historical reasons. I just like that now they can add that perspective, because it's a very different wrinkle.

Ah Harry. I think my favorite part of the episode (okay, second... after Don reacting to the swingers) was him storming in, Joan beginning to stop him, then Roger cutting in to just let Harry finish so he could make a fool of himself [face_laugh] The thing is, Harry absolutely has a point about being a department head in the arena that advertising is beginning more and more to matter the most in. But he just can't make his points in any kind of reasonable way.

19. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    this show is so great, but alison brie's name was in the credits and then she wasn't in the episode at all. not cool.

20. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    Yeah, Harry MIGHT deserve partner, but this was definitely not the way to go about getting it. But meh... talking down to partners worked for Pete in the long run, maybe Harry's trying to emulate that.

21. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I'll echo the praise for this episode. It was fantastic, all the way around.

22. George Roper

Oct 31, 2012
    Didn't Pete only get partner because they needed him to bring his clients with him?

23. Armenian_Jedi

Mar 14, 2003
    Oh sorry, my post was two separate thoughts that ended up coming across as one. The Pete talking down to partners part of my post wasn't really about him becoming partner. It was more about how he constantly did it and did it and did it until people started agreeing with him a little bit. Like Don did in the episode with the Japanese guys.

24. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    I was surprisingly effected by Don's current mistress saying she was praying he would find peace. A little "on-the-nose" but still such a sweet moment.

25. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    Pete is a slick manipulator, Harry is a whiner, that is why Pete is where he is and Harry isn't. I've seen both types in various jobs I have held and their careerpaths tend to be very similar to Pete and Harry's.