main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    YES... but by getting ride of all the wonky things Lucas did to the Jedi in the prequals by having Luke make them more relatiable to audience by allowing attachment and families. ;)

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  2. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007

So how do you then feel when Lucas approved more Jedi running around for something like The Force Unleashed?

jedimikey and Ryus like this.
  3. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Thats fine, and there should be some kind deeper story in there (Luke/Vader in the OT), but KEEP IT SIMPLE and FUN.

I do not want to see Luke and some new character arguing over the role of the Jedi or whats ethical for a Jedi etc... That kind of conflict isn't simple and fun.

The other problem you run into by pitting the old characters against the new is that the new characters will be cast as the villains, because the audience will back Luke, no matter what, until/unless he does something evil.

4. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    ^
    As well they should.

5. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    But that is keeping it simple :p ;)

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  6. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    I'm fine with it. A bunch survive Order 66, and Vader spent years hunting them down. As far as I remember, all but Kota are killed by the end of the game, and he is stripped of his ability to use the force. So by the time ANH starts up, tis just Obi-wan and Yoda, and by the time of RotJ Luke is the only Jedi still there.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  7. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I see. That makes sense even if I don't mind the notion of other survivors.

I always viewed Luke & Leia as the "only hope" because they would be viewed by Yoda as having enough potential to surpass Vader & the Emperor(midiclorian count and all), not because they were the only ones left in the galaxy who could be trained, or were already trained to some degree.

8. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Thats fine, except for the line - "The last of the Jedi will you be" - as I said, its a story point, not a logically one.

Sure there would be people out there who could use the force, but with no Jedi to teach them, they don't/can't become Jedi.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  9. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
    I used to be a purist when it came to the idea of survivors of the purge. But after reading the Darth Vader novel, I think it makes sense that some of the survivors of Order 66 stopped identifying as Jedi, renouncing the order altogether. Luke would've still been the last of the Jedi in that case.

But I totally understand the desire for that line of dialogue to be a literal truth.

I still get mild nerd-rage whenever a survivor of Krypton shows up in the Superman comics. He's the Last Son of Krypton, damnit!

Krueger likes this.
  10. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Thats kind of a lame work around. Nothing to stop them from going after vader or training Luke.

That superman comparison is very good. Sure there are logical ways to have more survivors from Krypton, but it defeats the purpose of Supermans character.

11. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    Son of a Bith

So, does Kara Jor El/Supergirl/Powergirl bother you? Oh, wait, she's a girl...the last DAUGHTER of Krypton! LOL! :p

Ryus likes this.
  12. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
    I was waiting for someone to make the son/daughter distinction lol

Not the biggest fan of the extended superfamily.

13. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    If the EU is used, then I think its almost impossible to keep it entirely intact no changes whatso ever. Somethings HAVE to change. Look at Marvel, they take pride in trying to be comic accurate for the fans but even they can't be totally accurate *just look at what they did to the Mandarin. Read the IM3 spoilers. Its....wow*. So the EU wont be entirely accurate to the sources. Stuff will be left out, altered, or added in. Its inevitable. I just hope we dont get too many "Well in this book, this event happens this way NOT the way it happens in the movie or *insert EU character* should be THIS age..not THAT age. They totally ruined this character and EU! This movie sucks cause it isn't 1000% accurate!". With the great size of the EU, its almost impossible to expect full accuracy/loyalty/everything in tact. Just my opinion.

Darth Chiznuk and Darth_Pevra like this.
  14. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Don't be forgetting also the Jedi who survived by going dark and aligning themselves with the Empire. The Inquisitorious, the Emperor's hands, the Dark Side Adepts... the Empire had a whole bunch of Force-users doing its stuff and a number of those were former Republic-era Jedi.

DarthApprentice and Ryus like this.
  15. poundpuppy29

poundpuppy29 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 3, 2007
    I really hope both Luke & Leia have children(Leia with Han Luke with someone I don't read the SW books so I know nothing of Mara or any of the EU) so the Force will live on I would like to see their children be the focus of the trilogy the cousins having an adventure

Jedi_Liz likes this.
  16. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    At this point, I'm just hoping for the EU to be at least somewhat recognizeable. As opposed to entirely tossed out.

17. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    Well, don't worry, Puppy...we can rest assured that at least Han and Leia will have a kid in the ST! ;) As for Luke, maybe, maybe not.

You don't read any EU books, so you probably don't know who Allana Solo is...but I think you'd like her. She's cute, charming, smart, tough...and, she's a princess! Best new Eu character, IMO.

18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    This is pretty on point. Not that it's a perfect example (but I really liked it anyway) if you watch Scream 4 it's basically the original characters fighting back against a remake of their own first movie (very meta, as befitting the series). However by the time the end credits roll in Scream 4, you can clearly see which side the filmmakers landed on that particular debate. If in Ep. 7 the OT character's parts are too big, you as the audience is literally just sitting there waiting for Luke and/or Han to take care of business and show these damn kids how they did it right back in their day.

Original Oatmeal likes this.
  19. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Its pro-wrestling logic, and if you want to know how to manulipate an audience and position characters, study pro-wrestling booking. If you put a new guy against the old favorite, the new guy is going to be the bad guy until/unless the old favorite does something terrible, because fans want to cheer for that favorite.

20. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Its pro-wrestling logic, and if you want to know how to manulipate an audience and position characters, study pro-wrestling booking. If you put a new guy against the old favorite, the new guy is going to be the bad guy until/unless the old favorite does something terrible, because fans want to cheer for that favorite.

21. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
  22. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Exactly. Make that Vader spinoff NOW because we'll cheer for him regardless.

Ryus likes this.
  23. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I've got a feeling that we won't get a Vader spin-off per se, but that he will feature prominently in another character's.

24. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    There was also people like Aurra Sing who was a Padawan but walked outta the Jedi order and went her own way in the galaxy. She became a bounty hunter, assassin, mercenary, and was still around long after ROTJ. She was skilled in the Jedi arts, a competent lightsaber duelist and telekinesis wielder who killed a number of Jedi over the course of her carreer..

She wasn't a Sith either though, so I don't know where exactly she fits in... she doesn't sound exactly the light side paragon of virtue, but I don't know if she was fully dark side either, or whether she was some kinda grey...

Does she make Yoda wrong? Where do unaligned force users, identifying neither as Jedi nor Sith, but nonetheless able to apply and wield the Force with skill and power, fit in?

Are they covered when Yoda talks of the Jedi in ROTJ? Or do they slip under the radar, so to speak?

What's the Palpatinian outlook on free agent force users? Are they to be hunted down just like the Jedi, or are they to be recruited if possible, or what? I haven't read everything there is to read, played everything there is to play or watched everything there is to watch, by quite a long shot, so I'm not sure how some of this fits together.

25. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    This line likely provides a clue to how Vader and the Emperor treated untrained force users who were not a threat or potential tools. "He's just a boy. Obi-wan can no longer help him." Now clearly though Luke was a threat as the Emporer had forseen and opposed to them, hence his being hunted down. The Darth Plagueis novel touched on this idea too.

The question though is where do being possessing some training yet not either Sith or Jedi, but not in there way either fit in. The EU would suggest, where possible they be used as tools or killed if not possible. So in the case of Sing, they'd likely just hire her to kill targets for them from time to time, unless one day she either grows too powerful or ever, if even for a moment, gets in the way.

However will this apply post Disney? My guess is yes, if any legacy of the Thrawn Trilogy survives the entire EU being destroyed it will be the idea he put forth of Dark Jedi and unaligned force users either being tools for the dark side where possible mixed with Order 66 if not controlable. Even the Clone Wars barrowed this idea by allowing Ventress, till she got too powerful thus risking a team up of Dooku + Ventress vs Sidious, and by Sidious sparing Maul since he had a use for him (aka a master can have as many tools as he wants, as long as they're not apprentices and an apprentice can have a tool till they get too strong).. its literally the logical missing piece about force users not yet in the movies but one that everyone can accept.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.