main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena "The Beautiful Game" - The Official JCC Football (Soccer) Thread.

Discussion in 'Community' started by FORCE_SKIN, Feb 7, 2004.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    ****. Late concessions, always the story with Blues. Doesn't matter who is managing, or who is on the pitch. No lead is safe. [face_plain]

2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    But I want the exact opposite, DI.

3. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Suarez is quite possibly the nastiest footballer who ever lived

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Agreed. I always regarded Vinnie Jones and Nicky Butt as right up there, but I don't think either were on par with Suarez.

5. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I wouldn't say Nicky Butt was a nasty footballer, Roy Keane however was a nasty player.

Vinnie Jones, Dennis Wise, Julian Dicks and now Suarez are awful

6. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    halibut likes this.
  7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Why should it be double, that was a different FA.

Am I the only one that laughed when they showed the replay. He looked like a vampire.

8. George Roper

Oct 31, 2012
    He has a history of doing it. I don't think it should matter if it's a different F.A.

Yeah, the visual was pretty comical.

9. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Does this mean that Ivanovic will turn into Suarez during the next full moon?

10. George Roper

Oct 31, 2012
    I hope not. He'd be afraid to deal with crosses.

halibut likes this.
  11. George Roper

Oct 31, 2012
  12. George Roper

Oct 31, 2012
    Apparently, it's all Rodgers fault. At half-time he told the players that he wanted them to fight tooth and nail.

Point Given likes this.
  13. George Roper

Oct 31, 2012
  14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    That is beyond glorious. Scrumtrulescent.

15. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Just watching that GIF of the incident gets me mad. If he doesn't get at least what the Dutch FA gave him, then it just shows again what a bunch of pussies the FA are. So he'll probably only get a 3 game ban as he's been charged with violent conduct.

Fair play to Ivanovic though - he's not made a meal of it.

16. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Ooh, I take some of that back

"it is The FA's contention that the standard punishment of three matches that would otherwise apply is clearly insufficient in these circumstances."

So 4 then [face_plain]

17. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Well done Man U

18. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Worthy champions. Congrats!

19. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    That second goal of RVP's was something else. Fitting goal to secure the title.

For a somewhat derided team, to have the title won with a month to go either says something about this United team or the rest of the league. Still on course for a record points haul, mind.

20. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    On reflection looks like he shinned that second goal. Smh

21. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    What this season has shown is that whilst everyone is talking about Man City, Chelsea, Gareth Bale etc, Man U have shut up, and got the job done with minimum fuss and controversy.

22. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    And with no midfield and crap wingers!

In other news, rumours that Bayern have triggered Gotze's release clause. Wonder what yankee8255 has to say about that.

23. George Roper

Oct 31, 2012
    31 minute hat-trick. Pfft.

Also, lol @ Suarez for losing out on the golden boot.

24. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    He would say that he's stunned. Götze, though a Dortmund native, was in the Bayern youth program for quite a while (family moved around a bit). They tried to get him last summer, but he turned them down, and all indications were that he wanted to to stay in Dortmund, who I believe sweetened his contract, albeit giving him the release clause. He had clearly indicated he had no intention of leaving for Arsenal, and it seemed most likely that he would extend his contract again in the coming weeks, most likely trading an increased salary for removal of the release clause. Following several BuLi-centric journos on twitter, all initially reacted with disbelief, especially citing the timing (big match tonight against Barca, plus the Höneß tax affair). But ow they all seem to have sources confirming. Media in Dortmund apparently reporting that it will be announced officially this afternoon.

As a Dortmund sympathizer, I'm very disappointed, I think they had they had a real chance to compete with Bayern over the long term. I think they still do, to be honest, as they've been preparing for the his departure for the past year or so. They could certainly use the money to improve their width, Götze Reus and Kuba all tend to play more in the center of the pitch, so a true winger is definitely needed, plus they need more depth for the back four. Still, a player of his caliber is not replaceable, and it hurts to see the rich get richer.

From Götze's perspective, what changed since last summer? Two things. First, Bayern regained the upper hand domestically, finally getting a win against Dortmund in the Cup quarterfinals and winning the league by 20 points. Second, and probably most importantly, is Guardiola -- essentially the chance to be the next Messi or Iniesta.

Lastly, Bayern already have a log jam in offensive midfield, will be interesting to see what happens to Robben and Ribery over the summer.

25. George Roper

Oct 31, 2012
    He did not. I think Rooney may have shinned the pass though. I think he was actually trying to do a Beckham from the half-way line.