main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Is EU continuity going to be respected in ST? Shouldn't we do something to ensure it is?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Nerdling, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    The official line (as Wookieepedia phrases it) is that "the events in What Ever Happened to Jabba the Hut? may have happened in some shape or form, but not how they are presented in the comic". Mosep Binneed is the most commonly accepted retcon, though. Similarly, the issue featuring a wild tale of Wedge going MiA during the Battle of Hoth has been accepted in canon as a tale told by Wedge to rookie pilots.

All in all, with tiny bumps here and there, Marvel fits like a glove by this point.

2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Government is required to follow its own rules in that case, so it did. Corporation owe us jack!

That reply though has to be in the running for best response ever, it started off in style even:

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I could be in the minority, but in addition to posting those loud, incendiary messages of condemnation about TCW, I also stopped buying the products with the Season 2 DVD. Stopped buying the toys before that(and I am a toy collector) as well.

I think the corporate attitude is more along the lines of thinking they will replace disgruntled fans with new fans, so thus the existing disgruntled fanbase is of little value to them.

Esg likes this.
  4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, that's definitely a major part of the calculation Robi - one that tends to go in the corporation's favour more often than not. But how many new fans can they really get? Must be a fair amount of fans who stick with it despite their protests.

Which is why I say deciding not to buy has nothing to do with effectiveness, it's simply you deciding to flip Disney the bird symbolically on SW. I may end up doing the same.

5. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    I don't know about everyone else, but I'm not interested in buying Star Wars products that do not follow the established continuity. Sure, I have the Infinities comics and some Tales issues, but I'm not going to put money towards any alternate version of Star Wars chronology Disney might conceivably cook up. It wouldn't be a form of protest, just lack of interest.

6. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Can we have our own separate canon so we can please everyone? I have disregarded all Post-2007 Clone Wars EU. I pretend TCW never happened.:)

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Marvel's first Star Wars comic when the license reverts from Dark Horse should be The Darth Evil Retcon Bomb 3-issue Miniseries 3D Pop Up Book in Prestige Format. Written by Jeff Loeb and art by Rod Littlefield. That'll take care of post-ROTJ continuity!

8. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    Ugh. No. Just no.

I'd probably ragequit in that instance. I grew up on the post-ROTJ EU. For me, that's just as much Star Wars as the films are.

9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah, I'm a late 80s-early 90s Star Wars geek as well, I have practically every damn Bentam book (dropped off basically after Vector Prime), but the only way I can see making it all fit (because I don't believe ep. 7 will make it all fit and will actively work against fitting) is actually a retcon bomb story. Cut off points and simply stamping chunks of it "not canon" bum me out. I would totally be down with those stories being acknowledged while they're being burnt down because, hey, it happened! At one point! Then that thing happened! And we can get crazy stuff like Darth Revan and Darth Cadeus having a time-traveling chess match to decide the future of the galaxy's history or whatever.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I've already rage-quit Star Wars once. I'm looking at you, ROTS. Lasted about 3-4 years, then I came back.

In my utopia, Disney would keep the parts of the EU that I like (Yuuzhan Vong) and eliminate the parts that I hate (Mara Jade and Grand Admiral Thrawn). I'm neutral on Han and Leia's kids; if Disney keeps them and their personalities (other than Anakin crushing on his aunt), great, if not...it won't be worth a second rage-quit from me. I'll judge the sequels on their own merits and continue to enjoy the EU that I already enjoy, even if it's rendered non-canon.

I'd also say "be careful what you wish for" regarding wanting EU characters to appear in the ST. We saw what happened when we wanted EU characters to appear in TCW. Hello, Barriss Offee that isn't recognizable as Barriss Offee. Filoni did that because he could. Period.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  11. Obie-2-Kenobi

Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    I'm not quite sure I get your meaning. It had style??

12. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    A Petition of 2,000 was tried 2 years ago when TCW was running roughshod over continuity. I was a booster. Good luck.

Robimus likes this.
  13. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Bad Robot would love your input @bad_robot
    1 310 664 3456

14. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    And the second Lucas saw it he decided to bring Darth Maul back from the dead.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  15. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Honestly, I have felt my time has been best spent coming to grips with the inevitable. I have loved the EU, but it has had some incredibly painful flaws that make me largely welcome a clean slate. Enjoy the ride we had boys and girls, but expect to be beyond shocked if they retain the EU. Way to much to explain to the vast majority of folks who have not read the books.

I enjoyed the ride, but I am ready for change and I genuinely believe this is the change needed after the character personality massacres that have happened in the last two major story arcs. Bring me a brand new EU that is consisten and in full continuity. I'm ready.

DoubleSith likes this.
  16. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    [​IMG]

17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    It'd be like watching a train wreck of puppies in slow motion, you couldn't look away!

18. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Which was an EU idea. They even kept the EU legs, didn't they.

19. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Nothing we can do to ensure it unless someone is on the Board at Disney.

20. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    A non-canon EU idea, to be exact. And for very good reasons.

spicer, Esg and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Bringing Maul back from the dead made me stop watching TCW in the middle of season 4. I sort of wish I hadn't started again, given how badly season 5 sucked.

As far as the question, I don't think it would hurt to let Disney know how much we'd like to see our favorite EU characters but I also think it depends on how much they can incorporate into any storyline they already have.

22. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    You know what, they made the NJO just to watch the EU burn. Why should we care if the ST and upcoming totally overwrites it? Much of the EU isn't worth saving.

23. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Wrong

24. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    I'm not wrong. And I'll say it again. Much of the EU isn't worth saving.

As for what the new movies will have in them, part of what Lucas sold Disney were three story treatments for Episodes VII thru IX. He had already been working on them before the sale.

25. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Taste is highly subjective.