main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Should ep VII (or a VI - VII intermediate series) address the Endor Holocaust issue?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth Valkyrus, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Llew

Llew Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
    Ugh. The Ewoks live on the "Forrest Moon of Endor", not Endor itself. :-B

2. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    We need to vote for Pluto Endor to become a planet and rename the Planet Endor to something else, so the Forest moon of Endor can become Endor. Else think of how hard it will be to explain this to kids in textbooks that the moon Emperor Plapatine was defeated over had no name but its planet that has no historical signficance does have one. Just think of all the evil grade school teachers who could mark them wrong on a test due to a technicality. :eek:

3. MYMUTHAZ

MYMUTHAZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 17, 2001
    they couldn't possibly use Ewoks in any of the ST movies, right? RIGHT? [face_worried]

4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    If you want to talk about an abrupt ending to the saga... the residual explosion of Alderaan should have destroyed the Death Star.

5. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Theory you say.......?

Nope.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Luke used the force to move all of the debris elsewhere.

/thread

7. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yes. And it should also raise the questions concerning who or what might have been hit with shards of glass on the lower levels of Coruscant after Obi-Wan's jump through Padmé's window in AOTC.

8. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
  9. natureboy76

natureboy76 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 11, 2009
    Don't put too much depressing reality in my Star wars!! I like it just the way it is. I have no love for the ewoks but that is a downer!;) Besides it sounds like a huge waste of time to address this in any of the new movies. Now I love me some trek as well and think it's more along the lines of that universe and not the Star Wars universe.

TheManFromMortis likes this.
  10. Han Yolo

Han Yolo Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 7, 2013
    Can we talk about how the force works...."Midi-chlorians" :oops:

Explanations and physics have no part in star wars.

natureboy76 and Original Oatmeal like this.
  11. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Midi-Chlorians don't cause or create the Force. Just saying. ;)

12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Yes, yes, yes let's get into another midi-chlorian debate! :p J/K

P.S. Seagoat I read the article in your signature and if I could I would like it a 1000 times!

Original Oatmeal and Seagoat like this.
  13. Herewegoagain

Herewegoagain Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2013
    If there was a holocaust on Endor that resulted in the destruction of the Ewoks, most people in the theater (myself included) would stand up and cheer.

TheManFromMortis and Ryus like this.
  14. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    If followed by the gungans being whipped out they'd be estatic [face_party]

15. Tornado Wrangler

Tornado Wrangler Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 22, 2013
    I have issues with the theory to begin with. We don't know the actual mass of the death star 2 except from EU sources, but it's mostly empty space. Kind of like a modern-day aircraft carrier or even just a skyscraper. We even get to see that huge central compartment where the reactor is. Then there's all the hanger bays, living quarters, etc. Even though it's huge, the thing is mostly air.

We can assume the explosion vaporized a good portion of the mass. Plus, at least half of it would be blown away from the Endor moon.

The assumption that it is in "low orbit" doesn't hold. Since it stays stationary relative to the surface of the moon, it must be in geosynchronous orbit (unless, of course, it is not in orbit but keeping itself in that position using its engines, but we are not told this one way or the other). Since the Endor moon seems to have similar gravity to Earth, and without information regarding its radius and density, we can only assume it would have a similar geosynchronous orbit altitude, which is over 22,000 miles. At this distance, only a fraction of the death star's mass would hit the moon. What doesn't hit it immediately would probably be ejected from the moon's gravity well or continue to orbit indefinitely.

Anyway, there's not just enough info given to really confirm or reject the theory. You'd have to know the mass of the death star, the energy released by the explosion, the mass and diameter of the Endor moon and Endor itself, etc. But hey, it's a cool thing to think about, and as a science teacher I love anything that gets people interested and doing their own research!

This would be a great question for xkcd.com 's What If? to tackle. http://what-if.xkcd.com

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The biggest problem with that, is that it looks way too close to be in geosynchronous orbit (assuming similar mass and day length).

[​IMG]

Suggesting it's being kept up some other way (repulsorlifts, maybe).

EU sources do give the Forest Moon's diameter (4900 km) but this produces a rather high density, given a surface gravity close to Earth normal.

Though not impossibly high- there exist planets smaller than Earth and more than 10 times as dense:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KOI-55.01

17. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    Apparently, Gary M. Sarli has written an excellent article on this, called The Truth About the "Endor Holocaust". In his own words, it's "a profoundly detailed rebuttal of Saxton's 'Endor Holocaust' theory".

And I can't find it anywhere. :mad: All the links are down, and it appears to have been gone for some time. Does anyone here have it?

18. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

Fanwank is a great word.

19. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

That's a good idea for another spin-off movie. We follow the progress of those injured by those shards of glass. Will they survive? It could provide a fascinating insight into Republic healthcare coverage in the PT-era.

Wasn't making fun of your post by the way.

20. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    As for how DS2 stays in place, Inside the Worlds, the same source that changed its diameter from 160 to 900 km, says that initially the ground station kept it in place using repulsorlifts. It doesn't make it clear whether or not it's still help up this way by the time of the film.

21. MRCynical

MRCynical Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2008
    Perhaps mention it as attempted Imperial propaganda post-Endor (if the first ST film is the New Republic trying to deal with what's left of the Empire).

Ryus likes this.
  22. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I loved the Imperial propaganda in TIE Fighter... that could actually work. Though this is more spin-off movie stuff imho then ep VII set decades later

23. Darthchrontis

Darthchrontis Jedi Padawan

Feb 25, 2013
    W
    What of the plight of the spiritual side of the Ewoks 3po was their god incarnate after all, would they allow him to even leave?

24. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    I always figured the Ewoks believed 3PO was one of their lesser gods. I mean, they're willing to throw him a feast, but look how quickly they dismiss him when he says he'll get angry and use his magic.

"Magic? You, Glaznak the Pudding God? What are you going to do, smother us with cheesecakes?"

Darthchrontis likes this.
  25. MRCynical

MRCynical Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2008
    Maybe, having (seemingly) never encountered Jedi/Sith or whatever their culture had no concept of 'magic' to which they could relate?

Darthchrontis likes this.