main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Should Luke be single, married, divorced, or a widower?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by newdawn12, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Fine points, but, for me, at least, one of the reasons to bother is clear: To provide for the continuation of the Skywalker name. Now this could be accomplished through a single Luke, of course, but I don't know that that speaks to the 'family entertainment' element of the franchise.

Besides, explaining Luke's wife is no more difficult than any other important new character who will appear, and if she's already out of the picture, a few lines of expository dialogue should do the trick.

Still, I agree that a film should be self-contained enough to tell it's own story, free of any important unanswered questions.

2. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    While in RL this doesnt bug me (my father in rl changed his last name and I prefer that name to what it would have been had he not changed it, though not due to marriage but due to finding out a different man was his father)... I think Swedens progressivness here would be a huge culture shock to many audiences. Plus the name Skywalker is iconic and should be saved, if that means old school wife changing her name dogma so be it imho.

Not sure how I feel about Luke Jade... never mind I do know how I feel about it [face_sick] ( :p )

kainee likes this.
  3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Haha, agreed, Luke should stay a Skywalker.

kainee, Original Oatmeal and Ryus like this.
  4. poundpuppy29

poundpuppy29 Jedi Master star 1

Jul 3, 2007
    I hope he at least has one child whether it is a boy or girl wouldn't matter to me I understand some would like him to have a son :rolleyes:that is a big deal to some.

I don't know anything about EU so I don't know anything about Mara I don't know about whether or not he should be married or widowed or single I will wait and see I don't understand why Jedi must be Monk like I think that should be changed

5. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Irony: Luke Skywalker abiding by and teaching the "no attachment" rule when he and Leia only exist because someone broke the "no attachment" rule.

Irony: Disney/Lucasfilm priding themselves on Family entertainment while releasing films that say having family makes you turn evil.

:D

6. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Yes, my points were in fact missing the thought of a Skywalker heir if one is to come from Luke's side of the Skywalker fence.

As far as explaining goes, sure it would be easy to explain, but pointless in a number of scenarios. To me, a wife for Luke, in the picture or not, complicates the story. Not by shear existence, but rather by the timeline of the ST. Because all of that history will have been skipped, I don't see a need for it.

At the end of the day, a wife in any form for Luke can only result in unanswered questions.

7. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Well put, couldn't agree more.

I want to know about: Luke the Jedi master, head of the new Jedi order bringing about the new group of Jedi, and what he is doing to stop the evil and/or conflicts of the universe. I want to know what the new dynamics of the universe are. I do NOT want to know what Luke is doing with his penis, or any sort of drama around his romantic/familial relationship.

We already have the romantic relationship from that set of characters, that is Han and Leia, and that will have to be addressed in Episode 7, NO way around it (you are talking one of the truly great and classic romances of American pop culture history, if anything deserves some development, that does); therefore, we are taking up too much space with that sort of thing to get into Luke's lovelife/family/relationships also. If there is going to be a new romantic relationship, it needs to be with the new characters of the story, let's not get into a bunch of Geritol love stories with the 60+ actors.

The focus of the story should be on the new Jedi and the new conflict in the universe (or perhaps some renewal of old conflicts, whatever the case may be). Let's not go too far adrift of that.

Bob Octa and Original Oatmeal like this.
  8. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    As to that last statement... then imho you missed the greatest treasure of the OT. Feeling like a complete Universe with countless unanswered questions and thousands of potentially interesting characters. I still remembering wondering happened to Luke's dad after watching Star Wars for the first time and what happened in the clone wars, even though I was only 3 when I first watched it. I loved to guess what happened to just about every character, that was the fun of it... the unknown and grandness of it.

Star Wars is a setting (no matter what Lucas said a few years ago about it being about Anakin.. in the back of his mind it was always a universe with countless tales to tell as he said in 1978) with relateable themes of good vs evil, fantasy space opera mixed with cultural themes, and family+generational stories... and you need all three pillars in balance for Star Wars to be at its best. Imho your requesting blasting one of those key three pillars, Luke should have a family and/or love but as you say based on his age it should be family vs if it was shot 20 years ago it should have been finding a romantic interest.

Next off for those who want answers and a characters life from point A to point Z... we are getting a tv show most likely set post RotJ to lead up to episode VII. Both parties can have what they want.

9. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The problem with a lot of the ideas about Luke being married and a father is that they revolve around the idea that the storyline should be about carrying on a legacy. In the other movies, the primary issue was state of the galaxy, and even more specifically, the main characters not getting caught and trying to get away from Imperials chasing them. Defeating Vader and the Emperor was to be done by a son against his father but that wasn't clear until the end, yet we could still see defeating them as important for peace.

Bob Octa, Original Oatmeal and Lee_ like this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Ep. 8 Big Final act twist: Luke Skywalker married, had a kid, and divorced the (Insert Female Sith Lord here) who has been the bad guy the entire time! That twist would be so bad it would be amazing.

Original Oatmeal likes this.
  11. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    A legacy doesnt have to be the major movie theme... but that doesnt mean it cant be a characters theme either at the same time. The OT in essance was a legacy theme for two characters but with a grander story ruling over it for the core plot.

12. Herewegoagain

Herewegoagain Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2013
    Not necessary.

13. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    It's interesting. I'm reading Truce of Bakura, and Luke worries that no one would want to start a relationship or family with him because he's a Jedi. This is because as a force sensitive, there is always the slightest chance of turning to the dark side, he could murder his entire family at any given moment like Anakin did. Not a good way to pick up ladies.

kainee likes this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It's been awhile since I read that book. Tatooine Ghost takes a similar angle with Leia not wanting kids because she's afraid they'd inherit her Darth-Vader genes.

I wouldn't mind seeing the ST explore this anxiety in either of the twins to some point, although I wouldn't want it as a central focus.

kainee likes this.
  15. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Indeed.

I think a lot of it comes down to whether or not you think the legacy really deserves the airtime or not (there is no getting around the fact that to put that in, you take something else out), it just depends on whether or not it is important to you. There are a lot of other topics and potential storylines that IMO would fit in better to improve the story; I think it would be better to focus on Luke in a Yoda-type of role as the new Jedi Grand Master ("when I am gone, the last of the Jedi will you be"), and develop the relationships among the new characters (and again, to tie up loose ends of old characters like Han and Leia).

I am grateful that the big 3 are going to be present to play important roles and to hand it off to the new generation of actors. However, while the Skywalker legacy had a great run, I don't think its presence is required to capture the essence of Star Wars, and I think it would not hurt the franchise move on without it; there are so many other interesting directions you could take it in (but of course, others disagree :)) .

kainee and Original Oatmeal like this.
  16. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    It might depend on just how involved Luke is in the ST. If he has a wife, I'd rather she be like Beru, a character of some importance, but still a minor character to the story.

17. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    I'm willing to bet that Luke will be married and/or (at least) have a child

kainee likes this.
  18. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    No, I didnt miss the treasures of the OT, and properly used "mystery" is great. I'm only referring to this subject matter in my comments.

19. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Star Wars always involved some sort of family drama, whether you like it or not. And imo it should stay that way because it is one of the few things that distinguishes it from other franchises like Firefly or Farscape.

20. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Star Wars is, at its core, a family drama. It'll stay that way, without a doubt. It wouldn't be Star Wars if it didn't.

Regarding the question, Luke should be whatever he turns out to be.

- Now, young Skywalker, you will die.
    - Oh, I don't think so.

/LM

21. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    I agree, and I'm sure we will have family drama. I just don't think it will come from Luke's marital status. There is plenty of other established material that falls into that caregory.

I'm just responding to the question posed in the thread.....;)

Bob Octa and Darth_Pevra like this.
  22. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Personally I want Luke with wife and kid(s), but it could swing either way. In any case I'd prefer a Solo as protagonist.

kainee and Original Oatmeal like this.
  23. Han Yolo

Han Yolo Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 7, 2013
    What about a HUGE twist. Luke marries but has a non force sensitive child....

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  24. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    That could be interesting. As it stands now, my preference, certainly, is for a son for Luke to instruct in the ways of the Force and pass on the mantle of the Jedi to, but that said, I could see story potential in a non-Force sensitive son.

I supoose, as with so many things in life, it would all be in the execution.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  25. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Right, and while I imagine we're almost guaranteed to have another galactic conflict, most believe the ST will focus, at least in part, on passing on the lessons of one generation to the next. With that in mind (and with the importance I, personally, place on the theme of Skywalker fathers and son, in particular), the story of the Skywalker legacy becomes all the more vital to a fan like me.

I suppose the truth is, some of us are just hoping for different things from the story (no surprise, that). Best of luck to Lucas/Ardnt/Abrams, et. al. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.