main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info New movie every summer beginning 2015 confirmed.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by TheBBP, Apr 17, 2013.

1. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    I suspect the spinoffs will get a similar level of attention that Iron Man or Captain America gets - whereas the Episodes will get a similar level of attention the last 3 Episodes got and the Avengers got.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  2. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I would hate for a Star Wars film to one day be a flop. I think it could happen.

3. GreedoCMZ

GreedoCMZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 13, 1999
    A cartoon series every week (not quite) for five years doesn't overkill in the same way a feature film every year does. It's a whole entirely different scenario. No longer will a Star Wars film be a reason to camp out at a theater. With the glut and the overkill they have announced they are going to unleash on us a new Star Wars film will just be one of many humdrum choices at the multiplex.

I also don't like that it seems like the new trilogy films will not be 3 years apart as usual. Rushing POTC 3 out a year after part 2 to me kind of killed part 3. They did a rush job on it AND killed audience anticipation.

dolphin likes this.
  4. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    That's the thing, though. The Marvel Cinematic Universe will have Iron Man film after Iron Man film and Thor film after Thor film (to a certain extent) because they are playing out like comic books (albeit on an obviously much more grand scale). Using the comparison that you made, with the MCU we have one main event film and five spin-offs/lead-ins, and another four lead-ins due out before The Avengers 2. With Star Wars we have six core films, with another three on the way and at least two spin-offs. They are different franchises and, while the marketing seems similar, things are being handled differently.

Unlike the MCU, the Star Wars spin-off films do not have to work towards something larger (the 2016 spin-off does not have to build up to Episode VIII in the same way that Thor: The Dark World is building up to The Avengers 2, for example). They could very easily set a completely independent Star Wars films thousands of years in the past, or focus on characters that have absolutely nothing to do with what is seen in the main films.

There are a ton of legitimate concerns to have about the future of Star Wars, but I personally don't think that over-saturation is one of them.

5. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    The text book answer "they are able to do it with 'Marvel' and they are really good", just doesn't cut it for me. I'm not trying to downplay the comic/Marvel universe, but their overall stories and plots are far less complex than those in the Star Wars universe. Even Bob Iger (to a certain extent) even states that SW has 10s of thousands of characters places and things. And up until now, for the most part, all exist in a a somewhat orderly continuum. Let's face it, toys, novels, TCW, had more data then the comic books of the comic world. Unlike comic book movies, you can't just reboot SW or have "alternate universe stories" when you run out of ideas.

I agree, there is a LOT of Star Wars content and places you can fill with movies. I just think it has to be WELL orchestrated. You can be "lose with the facts" with other films, but with a SW film, it has to be somewhat closely adhered to. I guess if we could clone Pablo Hidalgo and put him on every story, we might be ok.

6. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I should just move to Orlando and get it over with.

7. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
  8. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Star Wars crack. Come get your fix.

9. KED12345

Sep 10, 2012
    But then you have to take into account the fact that Disney doesn't make those stories, Marvel does, as Disney gives them a "handsoff" approach. I think the fact that we are only getting a movie a year, with Episodes coming out only every two years (an eternity for Disney) they are fully aware that you have to spend more time on the quality of each movie than you have to do with Marvel.

People don't seem to think the time to make a higher quality movie has dramatically shortened since the prequels.

10. EUdiscoverer1136

EUdiscoverer1136 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 18, 2012
    I seem to remember in the late 80's and early 90's.. Star Trek being an unstoppable, very popular giant. Unseated SW as THE popular Sci-Fi franchise. Ran into the ground with more and more product. Resulted in a re-boot. The ironies with this situation are killing me here, lol!

However... although the warning lights are going off all over the place in my head, and so far, most everything I was worried about, and predicted are now coming true, (including the inevitable death knell of the old expanded universe, which I was just beginning to get into)... it's a good/bad situation in my mind. I will sit back and see what happens, but the one thing I AM worried about, I would NOT like to see happen.. which is over saturation, death, and then another re-boot. Not to Star Wars. Exciting times, indeed... but I won't submit to blind enthusiasm.

Circular_Logic likes this.
  11. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Or maybe it will just be great and everyone will love it.

In the 90's we had SW books, comics, games, merch, the Special Editions etc. It did nothing to harm its popularity. The prequels were not received enthusiastically by old-school fans, this did nothing to harm its popularity. The "Clone Wars Movie" tanked and was hated on with great intensity; and yet the show became very popular, well reviewed, and won over many of its critics.TCW did nothing to harm its popularity.

The difference between ST & SW is that ST is modeled on a "morality play" concept, so many of the episodes are built around some kind of overt topical message. It's hard to keep that fresh. ST started to repeat the same story lines, rehashing the same themes, it got old for good reason. SW can be pure fun & storytelling. No reason for it to get played out if the writers exercise their imaginations and take us to new places, like TCW and the EU have.

As for all these calls for "watching cautiously" I have to say: Why? You only get one life, enjoy it. I imagine all these Nervous Nellies ordering from the dessert menu and then watching for the waiter's return through narrow Clint Eastwood watchful gazes, not allowing themselves to anticipate any enjoyment, ready to ruin the simple pleasure of a slice of cake with long-prepared "I told you so" criticisms, complaining about how they should have skipped dessert for the whole car ride home. Yeesh! I'd rather be the kid in the candy store, wide eyed and open to joy.

12. AdmiralSteven

AdmiralSteven Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 23, 2010
    I haven't read all of the posts since I last posted, work's getting in the way (curse them), but I've read a fair number of posts that have basically stated that because of the time table the movies are going to suck. Period. Well guess what, if you already have the mindset that the movies are going to suck, then the movies are going to suck and nothing can change that. If that's the case then don't go see the movies, it'll just mean more popcorn for the rest of us. Let the movies come out before making a decision. I'm not as critical as some people, so maybe this has something to do with it, but I for one am excited about new Star Wars movies and can't wait to see them. Now, if the movie(s) suck then I'll be the first to say it, but until then I'm going to hold off judgment and have fun trying to figure out what the movies are going to be about. That's all...sorry for rant.

13. P.Sam

P.Sam Jedi Padawan star 1

May 31, 2011

Au contraire, this is exactly like the model of Marvel. Films on a regular basis at least once a year and maybe more if it proves successful. This formula was a complete success for a franchise like Marvel so Disney wants to shape the Star Wars franchise like this. I am not sure why you talk about Peter Jackson, as it has nothing to do with Disney and Star Wars. Warner Bros and New line Cinema acquired the rights of The Hobbit to make a film trilogy. Jackson makes 3 films about it and after that it is over. That is not the case with Star Wars who by the way will have certainly more than one director for all these upcoming films. They even wants to release spin-offs directly after Episode VII! Not even bothering to wait the end of the Saga's conclusion. Alas that Star Wars, once a franchise like no others with mythic films is reduced to a standard like the well-known superhero franchise...

14. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    Even though I believe they will suck (or alt least not have the same nostalgia as the previous 6), I am of course open to seeing them. I may even like them. It's just hard to look at the situation in detail and see an out come where each of these films will be as epic as the previous released films. People didn't like how Lucas made a SW film, yet throwing out multiple films to multiple writers and directors doesn't make a case that they will be great.

One of the biggest issues I had with EP7 was would Abrams/Arndt keep the "nuances" that make SW film a SW film??? I slowly started becoming open minded because it seems that the "treatments" were from GL himself. Writers like Lawrence Kasdan have been asked back and J.J. "seems" to want to stay with tradition. Now that I've been semi sold on that EP7 has hope, what's the odds the other 10 spinoff films will get that same quality and care?

But back to being optimistic vs pessimistic: even though I believe these new films will be sub-par (for all the reasons I mentioned before) I am still going to be open-minded. We saw this same scenario back in 1999. EVERYONE had "optimistic" and great "expectations" for Episode I, so much so that no matter what was made, they were going to be unhappy. Born right there and then: the PT hater..

I on the other hand like the PT, along with the OT. I had NO expectations of the PT, so I wasn't let down. I see history repeating it's self here. Everyone is crowing "WOW! GIVE ME NEVER-ENDING SW!!! I WANT MORE!", that they are building the same unachievable expectations they had for the PT. Now "Insert bad joke about how it's not Lucas and the films will be good here..."

I'm just saying something has to give. You can't have this aggressive of a schedule and not lose something in the mix..

15. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    So you're being open minded but you think they're going to suck? :confused:

I'm excited for these films because I love Star Wars, all Star Wars, not because GL is gone ( :( ). I love Star Wars and I want more. That's my only reason, I'm just greedy. :p

16. KED12345

Sep 10, 2012
    Well, if it makes you feel better - Iron Man 3 is getting rave reviews so far from critics and so far and it's only the third Marvel/Disney movie. If anything, the quality of the Marvel movies have drastically increased. Iron Man 2 was pretty bad, and Captain America as well as Thor were just 'okay.' And the Hulk.. [face_sick]

17. EUdiscoverer1136

Sep 18, 2012
    I think I've proven on my previous posts that I want these movies to work. I want more Star Wars. But I want GOOD Star Wars. And I'm sure you do as well.
    But as to my reply to your argument...
    You can always define popularity by the fact that there's always a mass audience for the product, but it's never THAT simple, nor are the fanbase... and I'll admit that it would take a lot for SW fans to go away. Most have already proven that they will rappidly consume ANYTHING with the SW name on it. And you can site books, comics, and the TV show to prove your point until you're blue in the face...

BUT... we have NEVER had a situation like this, where new feature films were coming out every year. Ever. Being a first generation fan as well as a prequel fan, a large part of the joy was WAITING those three years between movies. We also knew that, given the waiting time, that there would be real quality put into the movies. We don't have that confidence here. It also built a joyful anticipation, which will now wane once the first couple movies come out... count on it. It just won't be such a big deal anymore, because it will ALWAYS be there. Great to see new stories coming out on a regular basis, but will they be good stories? If the first one, or two tank withing two years... nobody will care about the third. Giving fewer movies and more time between them, might mean a higher forgivness or toleration wait for the occasional flop.

Not to mention, the events going on since the sale HAVE given reason some fans reason to worry. I'm not going to go through a list here. We know what I'm tlking about.
    While there IS appeal in being the wide eyed optimistic kid, EVERY peice of news, every event, pro and con, has proven that to Disney, Star Wars is first and foremost only one thing: A cash cow.

Was it always that? Hell, yeah... to an extent. But there was always....good, bad or indifferent... with the movies, show, and books... care given to the overall building blocks of the saga as a whole at the same time. With the urgency Disney has put forth toward the whirlwind schedual in the Features releases, it just seems that they are interested in bottom line above all else. Story WILL... and history has shown... HAS ALWAYS suffered for that kind of care. The differences you site between Trek and Wars are irrelevant. The principal is the same. And the books, comics, and even the series are not the same as a feature that you are shelling out 30 dollars to see on the big screen EVERY year. It just isn't. And along with the cancellations, downsizing, the wiping out of whole arcs of the Expanded Universe..etc, and the loud, intense grumbling of fans stomachs... crying out for bigger and bigger fixes... NO MATTER WHAT.. and drowning out all logic, it gives me pause.

The movies might be great... it might be all good... and you could be right... but DON'T tell me I don't have reason to worry... c'mon, now...lol!

18. Motterman

Motterman Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 22, 2000
    Lucas entrusted the future of Star Wars to Kathleen Kennedy to oversee. I'm not saying that Disney isn't profit driven, but it's not like there isn't somebody watching over the franchise to prevent "strip mining".

dolphin likes this.
  19. EUdiscoverer1136

Sep 18, 2012
    Agreed to a point. But I'd venture to wager Kennedy wasn't for all the things that are going on with Lucasfilm. Disney has the final say, and Iger has made most of the decisions. Fighting or disagreeing with them would be a difficult task at best.

Motterman likes this.
  20. Motterman

Motterman Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 22, 2000
    All I would say is that if Lucas cared about Star Wars/LucasFilm/LucasArts enough, he would have put language into the purchase contracts protecting his legacy.

EUdiscoverer1136 likes this.
  21. Darth_Panicius

Darth_Panicius Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 7, 2013
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Lucas staying on as creative consultant. That basically means that although he isn't profiting from the new films, he still has high-level oversight.

22. EUdiscoverer1136

Sep 18, 2012
    Technically, it means he can give advice, and they have to listen to him.... but in no way do they have to obey, or even consider what he says... just let him have a say.

23. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

I'm not so sure that is true. Yes, special effects technology has advanced in the 16 years since post-production on TPM began. However, the actual work of modeling, rendering, and refining special effects sequences and objects is still time consuming. I don't know if 1,500 CGI renders is any less painstaking.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  24. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

Excellent term, "strip mining".

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  25. Darth Shibs

Darth Shibs Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    So when they mean every summer, they mean until when? 2035? 3018? lol