main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Audience reactions to the PT in theaters

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Feelicks, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    All you guys are so lucky you got to see the PT movies when they first came out. I only saw TPM in 3D last February. I'm truly looking forward to seeing the ST and having a great time.

2. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    I don't remember any reactions on my one and only viewing of Episodes 1 and 2.
    On ROTS opening night we were just cheering the opening scroll, nothing else.
    But I do remember on my second viewing of ROTS behind me a couple were sitting and at the end, when we were leaving, the girl asked her boyfriend when's the sequel coming out.

Dredalus and DarthBoba like this.
  3. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I saw it 15 times, my standing record for theatrical viewings.

4. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    I remember the first time I saw 'Attack Of The Clones' all those years back in 2002 when I was 16 and my fellow geeky friend declared it "...is the best Star Wars film ever."

I don't know why that moment stuck in my head, but it's still there bouncing around my brain. I never saw 'Revenge Of The Sith' with him so god knows what he would have declared walking out of the cinema to that one!

5. Padmes_love_slave24

Padmes_love_slave24 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Oh heaven forbid your friend has a differing opinion than you, if you have a problems with friends having differing opinions than you than maybe you should go to the cinema alone just a thought......

Dredalus likes this.
  6. Jedi General Gelderd

Mar 6, 2004
    Woah....hang on a mo, what do you mean PLS?

Bit of an unprovoked attack there....!

7. Padmes_love_slave24

Padmes_love_slave24 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2003
    It wasn't a attack I am just saying it shouldn't be a prerequisite that your friends have the same generic opinions I am sorry if you find that controversial. Sorry sometimes I just think the college aged crowd is way too clicky and way too generic even when they claim to think independently

8. Jedi General Gelderd

Mar 6, 2004
    .... [face_thinking]... sorry, to go on, but how did you assume I disagreed with him?

A) At that time, it was "The best Star Wars film ever" for us, just as 'The Phantom Menace' was 3 years before that

B) If he thought that about Ep.II, the general idea is Ep.III is far greater, so my point was if I'd have seen that with him, I would have bet he declare THAT one "The best Star Wars film ever, and the best film ever!"

There was no conflicting opions or views, and if anything I was sad I didn't get to see it with him as our views are identical from growing up together.

So...y'know, no offence taken or meant, but don't be so quick to assume something from a few words.

[​IMG]
    And I generally go the cinema on my own anyway now. [face_party]

9. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    !
    Maybe I read that differently than you. It doesn't seem like the guy agrees or disagrees with his friend. it seems like he merely stated that this event happened. Why the attack?

10. Jedi General Gelderd

Mar 6, 2004
    It's ok, don't worry - wires just crossed a little!

Let's have a group hug and move on with the debates....

[​IMG]

11. Artoo Detoo

Artoo Detoo Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2013
    The best reaction that I've ever seen watching a Prequel film in the theaters (and probably any movie) was when I saw AOTCS when it came out in 2002. I went with my parents (I was 9 going on 10 at the time) and during the fight scene with Yoda and Dooku, the entire theater started clapping and cheering! And it wasn't just kids. Grown adults were pumping their fists in the air and cheering like it was the Super Bowl! Never saw a reaction like that in a movie theater before or since that time! :)

12. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    I remember the audiences being very receptive to all 3 of the films. I remember people cheering when Yoda dueled Dooku. And I remember a deeply emotionally affected audience leaving ROTS. People from the get-go did complain about Jar Jar. I remember people being excited to see TPM when it came out on DVD. I was in college then, and I went to a party with about 20 people right after it came out (not a kegger, but people were drinking), and it was being played and watched. It wasn't thought to be a nerdy thing at all, unlike how watching a Harry Potter movie or LOTR at a college party would be thought of as nerdy today.

Despite what people think, TPM was very well received by audiences when it came out. Here's a link that shows a poll of Americans right after the film came out: http://www.gallup.com/poll/3757/public-gives-latest-star-wars-installment-positive-rave-reviews.aspx
    74% of those polled thought that the TPM was excellent or good. 17% thought is was fair. Only 4% thought it was poor.

I think the film really did wow people with its special effects, and it was the first time you could see just how powerful Jedi really were. I think TPM and AOTC just don't hold up as well to multiple viewings as some of the others do, but then again, very few films do. The anti-PT hate didn't kick in until years and years after they were released.

13. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    People cheered when Maul was cut in half.
    They cheered when Yoda ignited his lightsaber for the first time.
    They cheered when Vader took his first breath with the mask on.

14. Chainmail_Jedi

Chainmail_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    People laughed when Yoda drew his lightsaber and fought YoYo style

They laughed at the "only because I'm so in love with you" - "No I love you" - "Only becuase I love you" - "nu-uh I love you" - "nu-uh I wuv you more" dialogue scene

People cheered when Vader was in suit, then started to laugh hysterically half way through his "NOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooOOOOOOoooooooOOO!!!!!?!!!?!!"

People boo'd when Jar Jar was first seen in AotC, and boo'd during every scene with Jar Jar in that movie

They also boo'd during every scene with Jar Jar in RotS. Seriously, I never heard Jar Jar speak after TPM. Probably for the best

15. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    "Yo Yo" style? I'm not quite sure what that means. As in his fighting style is like fighting with a yo-yo? That doesn't really make visual sense, especially seeing as the yo-yo was first developed as a martial-arts weapon, and has a completely different fighting style than swordplay, which is what Yoda does, even if it's amped up.

Anyway. Can't say I heard any of those reactions when seeing the movies. Closest is people who started laughing a little when Yoda started walking in at the end of AOTC. Even before he started fighting, people seemed to sense that something was gonna happen, and I mean besides just the fully spoiled fanboy crowd. That was cool.

Dredalus and FRAGWAGON like this.
  16. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    YoYo style; as in he was bouncing around like a YoYo

17. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    Yo-yo's bounce? Every yo-yo I've owned was wood or plastic. Kinda hard for them to bounce without breaking.

Granted, I understand the criticism of the fighting being very frenetic and jumpy. I've heard it called "Sonic the Hedgehog" style and things like that (mostly by people who liked it, though-- when I saw it with a friend once, she hummed the Invincibility Star music from Mario Bros. when Yoda fought). "Yo-yo" is just an odd descriptive.

Dredalus and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  18. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    YoYos bounce up and down. I can't believe you can't see what I meant by YoYo. Then again, you can't see how Watto is even slightly offensive, so I guess a YoYo's range of motion escaping you shouldn't be surprising.

Mod edit: No personal attacks

19. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    I can see how some people can think Watto is offensive (after all, there are people who claim to be offended-- can't just ignore them, even if you don't have the same reaction), but that doesn't mean I think he's offensive, or think that it's correct to presume that offense is intended (as I've said before, when so many different groups claim to be offended by the same characteristics, they kind of cancel each other out). And again, considering that the yo-yo was at one time a weapon, it's odd to see it compared to a different, completely unrelated style of fighting.

I'm a pro-bono fan.

Dredalus likes this.
  20. Jabari

Jabari Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    TPM: I remember being surprised at the correct pronunciation of "Coruscant", as it was not what I had originally thought (Corus-cant) I don't remember anything else specific, however it was the only one I didn't see opening night (probable combination of homework and first job!) We were excited out of our minds.
    AOTC: Someone yelled "Yoda's the man!" when he pulls out his lightsaber. General cheering throughout.
    ROTS: The people I was with all went "aha!" when we finally heard "Kashyyykk" pronounced.

21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Nobody every cheered in the audience when I saw them. Sadness.

Dredalus likes this.
  22. Cautious Optimist

Cautious Optimist Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2013
    ROTS was pretty much enjoyed by everybody in the theater. That's all i remember.

Dredalus and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  23. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    I saw all of them in the cinemas... I don't remember much. My friends and I really liked The Phantom Menace. We were 10 years old.

My only vivid memory is about Episode II in 2002. I remember some of the audience roaring with laughter when Yoda started hopping around with his cute lightsaber, and then the laughter turned into audible groans when he went back to limping. It was like 'Come on!'

I still can't take this scene seriously. Why does Yoda need that walking stick, if he can jump around very fast? Also, he never seemed even close to hitting Dooku with his tiny lazersword.

Just my opinion.:)

Dredalus likes this.
  24. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    I saw all 3 Prequels on opening day (TPM at 9 PM on May 19and AotC and RotS at midnight premieres), and, even with the supposed perception of the films being subpar, all 3 screenings were jam-packed and featured enthusiastic audience reactions.

The one detail I do still remember about the screenings - which has been a constant everytime I've seen a SW film in theaters in its 'original run' (counting the OT special edition releases as being separate entities from the original OT releases)- is that people cheered when the titles started. I've never been to any other screenings of any other big franchise films where this has happened, which kind of makes SW unique in my estimation.

25. Beautiful_Disaster

Beautiful_Disaster Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2005
    When I saw TPM the first time, there were a lot of "Yeah"s when the words "A long time ago in a galaxy far far away" came on the screen..then outright cheering when "Star Wars" burst onto the screen.
    AOTC- When Yoda drew his lightsaber there were cheers, then after the movie, I heard one guy tell another "Yoda is a bada**..I found my new hero."
    ROTS- The audience cheered when Vader took his first breath after the mask was put on.

There were many other smaller reactions, but those were the bigger ones