main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by droideka27, Aug 31, 2005.

1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Interesting! Adding it to the list :)

2. King_of_Red_Lions

King_of_Red_Lions Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2003
    Year Zero by Rob Reid

Aliens violate earth's copyright laws and pay the price. The cover blurb compares it to the Hitchhikers Guide series but I haven't chuckled out loud, yet.

Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett

A female poses as a male to join the military and locate her missing brother.

3. Lord Revan

Lord Revan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 15, 2013
    Darth Plagueis

4. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    The Two Moons of Sera[/i[

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I'm gonna give The Difference Engine a bit more time but if this does not get any better I'll drop it.

6. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Just finished Memories of Ice, moving on to House of Chains: A Tale of the Malazan Book of the Fallen 4. The author loves to make the last bits of each book insanely gut-wrenching.

7. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    Just finished The Blue Hour by Alonso Cueto. Roughly about a Peruvian lawyer learning about his father's dark past fighting the Shining Path, but that sort of short changes the story. I liked it, but I didn't love it and I'm not sure I understand why it is so well reviewed. That may be on me though; I read it almost entirely on a flight to D.C. and on the D.C./Boston Subway systems, and I tend not to read as closely/absorb as much as I should in those situations. I'll probably reread it in a couple years once the details have faded from my mind.

Up next is Andrew Ross Sorkin's Too Big to Fail about the financial crisis.

8. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Reading through the Ender's Game series in a haphazard order. I've read Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, Ender's Shadow, on Shadow of the Hegemon, and I'm planning on reading Xenocide and Children of the Mind back-to-back next. I enjoy how Card changes the tone and dynamics of each novel to reflect where the characters are in their lives. I can say right now I do prefer the Ender novels over the Shadow novels. Speaker for the Dead recalls God Emperor of Dune, a novel hated during my formative years, yet I enjoy the book a lot more as an adult. Great works all around.

9. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    The Shadow novels become dry and boring for me, but I trudge through them anyway because I want to know what happens with Bean. He was such a fun character to contrast Ender in many ways...but also similar to. Those and the later Ender novels, especially after the 3rd or 4th sequel, are definitely better enjoyed as an adult.

10. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Pride and Prejudice. And beginning to understand why Mark Twain said when he read Jane Austen, he kept forming a desire to dig up her corpse and hit her over the skull with her thighbone.

Axle-Starweilder and V-2 like this.
  11. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    Just finished reading Truce at Bakura.
    The ending was so sad, omg Dev. ;-;
    And it was just amazing how much Luke had to go through, I really want other Luke-centric books because he is my favorite Star Wars favorite character by far.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  12. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Jailbird by Kurt Vonnegut. I'm literally just starting so I have no strong opinions, but considering I'm a massive fan of his any insights would probably be tainted, anyway.

So you also view her popularity as symbolic of rampant anglophilia in American literary circles? :p

Son of a Bith likes this.
  13. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    *digs up Ramza's corpse, beats it over the head with its thighbone* :D :D

14. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    'Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring'

I've never read them, and only seen 'TFOTR' movie, so felt 10 years on and with the emergence of 'The Hobbit', I'd see what the fuss was all about.

Done 'The Hobbit', clearly the childrens novel it said it was, but enjoying the more adult, fantastical 'FOTR' and can't wait to continue the trilogy.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  15. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    Just finished my MA in English, and I finally have some time to read just for fun again.

In the middle of Vector Prime. Haven't read it since it came out in 1999, and I'm enjoying it much more than I did the first time. I remember just being kinda weirded out by it - after the Bantam books, everything seemed so diifferent. My interest in the EU waned for a while after that, but I've been experiencing a rennaisance (thanks to the fact that I've finally read Darth Plagueis) and so I decided to give it another shot because so many on here love the NJO series. I'm loving it. Still odd to see Borsk Fey'lya as Chief of State, but politics is a crooked game so I have an easier time accepting that now. The fact that Kyp Durron can walk around the galaxy after destroying a starsystem in a rage irks me somewhat as well, but those KJA novels were crap anyway so I'll just pretend that something different went down. Anyway, really enjoying this novel and the Vong bio-ships, weapons, armor, etc.

Also reading/finishing up Stephen King's 11/22/63 - King's stab at a time travel story, centering around a man who finds himself in the past and tries to stop the Kennedy assassination. Love it - King gets flack sometimes, but screw that - he's a fountain of creativity and his characters are real people.

NYCitygurl and RC-1991 like this.
  16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I read the King book awhile back. I can be hot and cold on him but I liked 11/22/63 - I was just old enough to remember events from that time. Younger readers might be a bit lost.
    For my non-fiction book I just started How Do We Fix This Mess? by Robert Peston. It's a look at the world financial crash and how we can recover. Quite a bit of jargon but he does explain things well. He's the BBC's Business Editor.

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I thought Ender's Game was fantastic when I read it, but Ender's Shadow was kinda tedious to get through.

18. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
    Orson Scott Card's a jerk - don't buy his books unless you support homophobia.

19. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I read both of those books in middle school. Now, I refuse to read anything by that crazy nut job. I will see the movie though.

Son of a Bith likes this.
  20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I Are The Internets, I love your icon.

I dumped The Difference Engine. Great idea, bad delivery. Moving on to a book that has been staring at me on the shelves for years and I always passed over. Got it for $2 at a book fare.

[​IMG]

21. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Why thank you VadersLaMent. Couldn't make this my FB cover photo because it was too big, so I compensated with the next best alternative.

22. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
    Xizor? ;)

V-2 likes this.
  23. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Xizor? You lost me.

24. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Leader of Black Sun during Shadows of the Empire.

25. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Legacy of the Force: Betrayal.

Great so far, never read the LOTF series, so I'm completely lost on the whole Darth Caedus thing.