main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT "Outlander" Social Club: Darth Chiznuk's hangout till October

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth-Horax, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I just got my GF to love the Prequels and Reloaded (she hasn't seen Revolutions yet). Clearly, she's a keeper. And its LOTR next!

Dredalus and AT-AT That Matt like this.
  2. AT-AT That Matt

AT-AT That Matt Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2013
    Marry that girl!

3. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    I don't understand how some people hate the prequels so much. I'm absolutely in love with them. I don't compare them with the OT because there's two different plots and stories going on there. The PT reveals the fall of a hero to the very thing he was prophesied to destroy, and the OT shows how a son tries to win back the good in his father for the better. There's many other aspects to each trilogy, but I love the stories in each, no matter the flaws that both have.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  4. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    At the heart of your statement, I agree. Both of the stories are pretty cool. I can't speak for anyone else, but as a so called "hater", I "hate" the PT because the totality of its flaws outweigh the delight I am supposed to get from its story. It's hard to take it seriously when you are suppressing unintentional laughter during even the most serious of scenes. The best concept ever invented for me, as a fan of the PT, (but not of George's version,) was the fan edit. These versions allow me to get into the movies and love the stories in ways that GL versions do not.

Watching Star Wars movies, Episodes I-III (GL's versions,) was the equivalent of watching a person that I deeply love and admire stand up in front of all of my friends at Karaoke night and utterly mangle my favorite song after having spent all week bragging to those friends about what an awesome singer they are.

Dredalus likes this.
  5. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    I understand and respect your points, mainly because you're not one of the PT haters that just says "the story sucks" and leaves it at that. I can get where you're coming from with the movies.

6. Master Elaine Nega

Master Elaine Nega Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2013
    Pfft... Now prequels hate again... But I know a way for you to love the prequels. Don' t watch films while judging them with cold logic. That' s the biggest mistake most film critics do, and that' s what makes a critic different from a regular watcher, the critic takes everything too seriously. That's why I never read reviews, when I form my opinion, I rely solely on myself, and judge films solely with my heart. Don' t examine a film for flaws, because there aren' t any without them.

Dredalus likes this.
  7. Tornado Wrangler

Tornado Wrangler Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 22, 2013
    Generally, people that saw the prequels as kids still like it after they grow up. I saw Return of the Jedi as a kid, so I loved and still love the ewoks. Many star wars fans that saw it as an adult didn't like the "kid" stuff.

I saw TPM as a senior in high school, so Anakin seemed like a little kid to me. It's hard for adults to accept kids in movies as the heroes. But to kids, Anakin was their age, a hero they could relate to. If he was supposed to be 9 years old, then people that saw TPM when they were Anakin's age are now in their early 20's. I'd reckon if you polled college students today, you'd see a higher percentage of them like the prequels than college students when the prequels came out. Jar Jar was a big factor too. Again, kids liked him, adults didn't.

I however, loved The Phantom Menace when I saw it. I still do. Yeah, it's got some flaws, but so do all of them. It wasn't until a year or two later when the internet told me it sucked that I even realized that a lot of Star Wars fan didn't like it.

Sorry if a bunch of that was just common sense that has already been stated. Still kinda new here.

Dredalus likes this.
  8. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    The adult and kid thing totally makes sense. I saw all three Prequels when I was a kid and I adore them; it's probably because of the age similarity.

9. Master Elaine Nega

Master Elaine Nega Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2013
    I was 14 when I saw TPM and I loved it. Like the little hero image, it always seemed positive to me.

Dredalus likes this.
  10. Darth Dominikkus

Apr 5, 2013
    MY favorite TPM picture is of little Anakin walking on Tatooine and his shadow is the silhouette of Vader against the wall.

11. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Vshadow.jpg
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

GGrievous likes this.
  12. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
  13. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    It's been a long time since I've stopped by these parts.

14. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    Hi Jedi Gunny! Don't leave us! We're so lonely!

15. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Joe? How'd you get here so fast? [face_thinking]

16. Joe

Dec 25, 2012
    I've been here since I joined! This place is precious

17. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    I was too, way back in the day.

18. Joe

Dec 25, 2012
    No! You can't have precious! Precious is mine! I'm gonna wash it, and clean it, and make it shiny again!

19. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    How would one go about making a thread shiny, anyways? o_O

20. Imperial Reject

Imperial Reject Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    the thread title says funny sw clips and movies so here are a few I made

21. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    I know I'm a little late to this exchange but I just came across it today. I agree with Tornado Wrangler's point--I think a lot of it has to do with which movies you grew up with. I grew up with the OT (I'm in my early 40s now) and I'm sure that's why I have a particular fondness for SW today. I was very, very excited for the prequels when they came out (when I was in my 30s), but when I saw them, I definitely felt disappointed by aspects of TPM and AotC, for many of the reasons you often hear from such disappointed fans (I would give the specific reasons if asked, but the particular reasons aren't really part of the main point I want to make here)....

...BUT, in spite of the aspects of the prequels that disappointed me (really just TPM and AotC...I thought ROTS was much better done, and in fact it's my overall fave SW film with ESB coming in a very close second), I have to say I still get a certain amount of enjoyment from them simply because I was interested in the overall story being told (Anakin's/Vader's "backstory"), because they are still recognizably "Star Wars movies" to me, and because in addition to having aspects that disappointed me, they also had elements I enjoy (for example, Qui-Gon's character and the Maul/Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan duel in TPM; the Genosis arena battle and our first view of Yoda fighting in AotC).

What I really dislike is when SW fans start bashing each other over these types of differences (I'm not saying anyone on this thread has done that--just referring to the problem as a whole). I say "to each his own," and if person A enjoys something that person B does not, I don't see the point in person B trying to make person A feel bad or stupid for enjoying that something or trying to convince person A that they should stop enjoying what they enjoy. And I recognize that some of the things that I didn't find entertaining in the first two prequels (like Jar Jar in TPM, for example) were deliberately aimed at a younger audience. Part of my overall attitude on this issue also probably stems from the fact that I don't expect SW movies to be something I don't think they are intended to be--I really don't expect more from them than fun entertainment in an imaginative universe. So I enjoy them on that level and don't worry too much about the rest...

Hopefully I'm not derailing what I guess is supposed to be more of a social thread, but I was interested in the exchange between Dredalus and Tornado Wrangler, so thought I'd add my two cents.[face_peace]

Dredalus likes this.
  22. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Pensive Padme
    Not to worry, [reported] your post as soon as I read: "SW fans start bashing each other...":p

23. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    SithStarSlayer: [face_relieved]Whew!...for a second there I was worried that I might have been added to some sort of "Newbies We Need to Keep An Eye On" mod list! :)

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  24. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    The first time you post a link to your favorite betting site or discount handbag store, will also be your last...
    [face_devil]

For now, its all good.
    [:D]

:p

Pensive Padme likes this.
  25. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    StarWars.com stupidity:

This Day in Star Wars
    5/16/05 - Revenge of the Sith arrives in theaters worldwide

I think it meant AOTC and in 2002.