main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Essential Guide to Warfare by Jason Fry and a pseudonymous Scotsman

Discussion in 'Literature' started by whateveritis12, May 17, 2010.

1. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Having been a proof-reader I might be a bit biased, but it really is the most comprehensive guide to SW warfare you're likely to find (until someone wants to one-up it in ten years time or so, these things seem to go in cycles). There is a lot of technical trivia, not as focused as the ICS series, but it has to balance between being a guide to the in-universe history of warfare and its impact on societies, to profiling famous military characters, to showcasing tools and tactics that changed the nature of warfare in each era, giving personal anecdotes of soldiers, providing an overview of battles, campaigns etc. That's a lot of ground to cover, but it has some nice technical info, especially in infoboxes and paragraphs.

darthbarracuda, HedecGa and jasonfry like this.
  2. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    /cross-posted from A&A, Atlas threads

Hey folks, the paperwork's done so I can now announce that I'll be signing books at Star Wars Weekends May 24-26, including the new Clone Wars Episode Guide, which DK arranged to get ahead of its official street date.Details here on my Tumblr, which you of course want to follow, even though right now it's mostly Mets stuff. (Ahem.) Hope some of you can make it out -- would love to talk Star Wars, and SWW is really fun.

Barriss_Coffee and CeiranHarmony like this.
  3. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Congrats Jason!

Out of curiosity, is the guide a straight up recap of episodes or will you be working in some EU stuff, retcons, new info, and the like?

--Adm. Nick

4. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Not really that kind of book -- think of it more like the Character Encyclopedia, but for episodes. Though they are in chronological order.

LelalMekha likes this.
  5. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    In the correct chronological order? Very interesting! I am excited to see how the various events & battles all end up lining up.

If you have a chance to slip in a retcon, throw in a reference to the Calamarian Council being the true rulers of Dac. :p

--Adm. Nick

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    How dare you undermine the legitimacy of the Fish Prince!! Commander Ackbar would be so disappointed in you, traitor! :p

...please keep Mon Cal as a monarchy. Just to make Nick squirm (do fish squirm?)!

I'm so bad.

jSarek likes this.
  7. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    There are days I hate you. :p

Besides, I expect better of a WEG fan like yourself. WEG's concept of a democractic Dac needs to be preserved at all costs! If not, one day Ars Dangor might cease to exist! [face_devil]

--Adm. Nick

8. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I'm pretty sure they flop.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Not even Luceno remembers Dangor these days! :( He was mentioned in Warfare (thank goodness!) but everyone ignores him.... :_|

'sides, I thought my theory of the monarchy being Imperial-aligned and thus overthrown by the Rebels was a good way to fix WEG's thing.

Are you saying I should be careful that Nick doesn't evolve into a gyarados and eat me? :p

10. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    There's your problem right there.

As long as we're bringing up WEG fans. :p

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  11. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Why yes, it sounds like a good opportunity for another "subtle retcons time"! :D As the old Sith would say: Vexok savaka... "There's work to do."

Cronal and Mia Mesharad like this.
  12. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    How about a trade and make Anaxes a monarchy and return Mon Cal to a democracy:)

13. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I think they flounder.

14. Han Solo Cup

Han Solo Cup Jedi Master star 4

Mar 11, 2002
    Does anyone here have any experience with the iBook or Kindle edition of this guide?

15. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Friend has them, the hard copy is somewhat more fun for reading, as especially the artwork is not even half as epic on the Kindle.

16. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    So is it possible that this Twi'lek is Ral'Rai Muvunc?
    [​IMG]
    It seems to fit the bill; the card is "Alliance High Command" from Threat of the Conquerer. Considering Muvunc appeared in the EGtW lastly, I thought it would be appropriate to post it here rather than make a new thread.

17. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    Well, he could also be the Sullustan behind him. ;-)

Sinrebirth likes this.
  18. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    His facial expression = my facial expression at the moment.

19. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    So this is the project you were talking about, mhm, jasonfry?

Pretty amazing. I hope the Panaka-Leia meeting makes the cut! :D

jasonfry likes this.
  20. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Leia & Panaka is a MUST. I have been dying to see that story. Hopefully it will also give some insight on how and when the Naboo & Gungans joined the New Republic.

Hmm, we don't know what ultimately happens to Panaka, do we? Defector to the New Republic or an officer who headed to Byss when the reborn Emperor called...

--Adm. Nick

21. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Wow, Jason that was an awesome read.

jasonfry likes this.
  22. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    can someone list for me again what was cut from the guide that we already know of by mentions, endnotes etc. so we can check out what to expect from future blog updates?

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Don't forget Queen Kylantha, the Loyalist monarch of Naboo from 18 BBY at least to the time of SWG. In my head, I envision it as something of a pro-Rebel revolution led by Rebel supporters in De'eja Peak and Moenia -- I imagine them marching on Theed and seizing the Palace precincts, with Rebel forces later joining to help recapture the Emperor's Retreat (which I would think would be the most fortified Imperial stronghold on the planet -- the Imperial military presence elsewhere on the planet was extremely light, per SWG, due to the planet's loyalty). I find this scenario more plausible than an Alliance invasion of the planet, since most of their attacks were focused on the Core in the early period.

I imagine this is most likely to happen fairly early in the war, either when Isard withdrew Imperial assets to the Core (removing the possibility of the Chommel Sector Group interfering) or when Isard lost Coruscant (being a good motivation for overthrow). It's highly improbable that Naboo became an Imperial fortress world.

But this is all just supposition on my part

edit: And I can't see Panaka defecting to the Rebellion -- he's far too pessimistic to join a brand new galactic government full of dreams and hope :p

24. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    We do know Panaka was the guy who gave the initial support to Hissa... so I wonder if he was part of the whole "Grand Moff" conspiracy.

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    What. What? Panaka supported the guy who put up a fake dynast of the House of Palpatine, instead of doing his duty towards Naboo by supporting HIH The Princess Ederlathh?? That no good traitor.

I hope Panaka was eaten by a bigger fish.