main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Excited more for prequels or sequels?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by WhiskeyGold, Nov 1, 2012.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm looking forward to SW films that are both prequels and sequels at the same time!

2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
  3. Darth_Quintonis

Darth_Quintonis Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 31, 2013
    No! He's definitely talking about a midquel! I want to see midquels too!

Darthchrontis likes this.
  4. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I want nyquels too so I can go to sleep better at night.

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Dayquels help us stay alert while watching them. That is a benefit.

6. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah but don't watch them at night or you'll never be able to sleep.

Darth_Quintonis likes this.
  7. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Well, that is why they created Zzzzquels.

Or, as I call them... the OT. Ho!

8. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
  9. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Cannot wait any longer!! any news!!

10. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    How to put this into perspective...

This marks the first time ever that I'm NOT excited for a new, live action, feature length Star Wars film. I was an adult in 1999. I grew up with the OT. And yet the prequels were all so new and strange and exciting for me. My interest for Episode VII, however, is minimal at best; my enthusiasm, absent altogether.

Primarily, George Lucas didn't create the Star Wars universe as a means to its own end. He didn't create characters like Luke Skywalker, Bobba Fett or Darth Maul for the same reason, say, Bob Kane created Batman or Gene Roddenberry created Star Trek. Everything in Star Wars was created in service to a singular, albeit elongated, cinematic expression. This should not be confused with the fact that Lucas has since a) licensed Star Wars to others so they, too, could express themselves by telling their own stories, and b) sold it entirely to Disney so the franchise could live on, making money, entertaining audiences and, again, giving other artists a chance to flourish in the process. But I think people are putting too much stock in Lucas' involvement with Episode VII, which, in reality, is but a stone’s throw away from being honorary. His original story treatments were still mostly a part of the Anakin Skywalker saga; when altered in accordance to the saga being restructured and streamlined, all that remained on their own were notes containing broad ideas, mostly intended to provide screenwriting context for what would eventually end up in the films. I doubt Lucas ever had any serious aim to follow through with a feature film narrative post Return of the Jedi. The movie itself makes this abundantly clear with its closing scenes: the story is over, the myth thematically concluded. What Lucas has given Disney is basically soil and a few seeds to grow a new myth. But that’s it. His credited involvement will likely amount to, 'created by' or 'based on the characters created by'.

So, for me, this leaves the question: what is there to be excited about? As much as I enjoy Star Wars as a fictional universe (and I really do), I enjoy it even more as a personal artistic endeavor as directed and/or macro-produced by Lucas, fundamentally so. I enjoy it more as a cinephile. But all of that is gone now. I might be playing a different tune had another, more inspired director been brought on board for the ST. Sorry, but I just don’t think JJ Abrams is an interesting filmmaker. At all. I find his sensibility for drama and storytelling utterly generic, and his technique with the medium, at best, superficially cosmetic and, at worst, just plain sloppy. Nor do I have any interest in a continuation of the OT main heroes. That was a poor choice that will completely lop-side what was a perfectly balanced six-part saga.

This is hardly an unfortunate time for me as a person. That would be ridiculous. Yet it is an unfortunate time for me as a Star Wars fan. It’s the first time I’ve ever really experienced a kind of estrangement from something that I’ve cherished for as long as I can remember, which is surreal. I'm certainly curious as to how the new films will turn out, but nothing more. Honestly, I’m genuinely more excited about Colin Trevorrow and Jurassic Park IV.

ezekiel22x and StarWarsVerses like this.
  11. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Sigh.

DarthBreezy and Rawne like this.
  12. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    You're more excited for Jurassic Park IV than Star Wars? :oops:

13. Doug625

Doug625 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 9, 2012
    I was really excited for the prequels, and with the disappointment of the those I am probably more excited for the ST with hopes of them redeeming the franchise. Not hating on the PT, they were just disappointing for me.

14. Ingram_I

Sep 7, 2012
    I gotta be honest...

...I gotta be honest.

15. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    Do you think Darth Plagueis will be in Jurassic Park IV?

DarthBreezy likes this.
  16. Ingram_I

Sep 7, 2012
    Oh, hell, why not! – that’s right, I ended that sumbitch with an exclamation point. Question marks are for women.

The mirroring story elements are already in place: cloned troopers, cloned dinosaurs; DNA extraction, midichlorians; blue milk, green jello. I would see that movie. I would definitely see that movie. Now, if they could just find a way to work in a search for the Ark of the Covenant …total nerdgasm.

17. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    lol.

3 hours of Ian Malcom, Indy, and Chewbacca digging through the basement of the Pentagon.

18. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    My excitement for the PT was bigger than for the upcoming sequels. Hopefully when we start getting more info about them my level of excitement will go up and at least match the PT excitement :)

19. Lord Revan

Lord Revan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 15, 2013
    Prequels.

the mystery of how Vader came to be was/is so much more riveting than anything i can imagine being in the ST. i mean, you just see this guy for 30 years being the greatest villain in movie history, looking/sounding so boss, and you don't really know how/why he ended up there.

now i think they kinda **** the bed with the Vader arc in the PT, but waiting for it, this doesn't compare.

LAJ_FETT edit - that word and its variants has to be asterisked out.

20. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Not meaning to be too critical, but I'm not sure that this thread really gives an adequate idea of what SW fans are/were more excited about. This is the ST forum, so it sort of goes without saying that the people here are, in general, already interested the ST. Someone who has the view that ST shouldn't even get made wouldn't even come to this part of the Jedi Council Forums, so those who are least excited about the ST wouldn't be here to vote. That skews the results.

I think maybe this question should be re-posted in the SW community forum or somewhere else.

I am interested in the ST but also somewhat worried. With the prequels, I was excited, but strangely at the same time, I had low expectations, so I liked the TPM the first time through. I was really psyched to see ROTS.

21. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    "Wasn't around" as in you were too young to see them?

22. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    We're not voting, we're discussing. You know, shooting the ****. We're not looking for results. And, I should point out that those not interested in the ST are here all the time. :)

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  23. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Well I would have been in elementary school when they came and and sadly I was in a barbie doll phase so I didn't see them in theatres. Though I remember watching Attack of the Clones in school once.

24. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    When did you first see them? Was AOTC the first one you saw?

25. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Well the first prequel I saw was AOTC in elementary school on a rainy day. My PE class was cancelled so instead they huddled me and around 20 other kids around a tv screen and we watched AOTC. I think I saw ROTS in theatres *dont know. my memories not the best. I just know I saw a movie that I ended up yelling at other people about. :p*. I dont think I ever saw TPM as a kid, I think I watched it when I was older and in my "Pre-sequel trilogy Star Wars phase". My fondest memory of my pre-sequel trilogy Star Wars phase: Trying to explain the entire Star Wars trilogy to a couple people I met in the Dominican Republic. I think I confused them....whatever :p. Well thats my Star Wars life story so far ;)