main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Should there be a female alien as a main character in the ST?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by StarWarsFan91, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Samayel_

Samayel_ Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2012
    what about Cilghal?

2. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Yeah, I mean, I know different folks would like to see different things, but to skip right over the unexplored generation of the Big3's children, just to focus the ST on Allana (even if she is older than in the books), still feels like a mistake to me (and a major waste of characters and storytelling potential, no matter how I slice it).

Now, if they wanted to, say, take certain elements of her story, but incorprate them into an older child of Han and Leia, someone who can play off of, say, Luke's son, for example, I could probably get behind something like that. It simply makes no sense to me to have Luke, Han and Leia re-appear after all these years, only to say, you know, "Oh, by the way, here are their children, who we've never met before, and who you're all probably really interested in finding out more about, but, well, the story's actually not really about them, rather their children." You know what I mean?

3. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    First off fyi edited in more to my last reply when you typed this up, lolz

Next, I agree and disagree. Yes having the ST jump to include grandkids would be a crying shame... but this cant be helped too much if they follow the EU even a bit. The big 3 are now just too old and there kids should be old enough to have had kids and for them to have grown up a bit.

The solution is incorporate Allana more with the big 3 and in a supporting capacity for ep VII (maybe guarding other younger jedi and/or kids/grandkids) but branch her out to join the main cast as she grows up. Due to the big threes ages we'll sadly, if sticking to the EU, have to visit there younger years in spinoffs with different actors or in the animated TV thats upcoming. Really unless they fiddle with the ages but still kina follow the EU, thats the solution.

If we get into name only characters... well they can play with a lot of things. Heck, maybe even adding in more kids, that would sure make things crazier... but since I dont yet know 'those' characters I cant comment on them, other than Imho the ST main cast should be Luke's kids (preferably with Mara being the mom imho) and Leia and Han's kids, of those at least one of those kids who joins the main cast should be a daughter and keep the alien characters as sidekicks (either sex). If a grandkid, like Allana, gets involved I want them to be young but not too young if either a main or supporting cast (8ish for supporting cast who mostly is just there to get Han into the fight at his age, and 15is if in a larger role where action is involved)

Personally I wouldnt mind Allana getting edited to be a younger kid of Han and Leia, but I always loved that Allana was a Princess (I also loved her pet Anji). Maybe Leia can be the elected Queen of New Aldaraan thus making her a princess. Plus if Jacen doesnt have a daughter, he wont go sith, thus Mara will still be alive [face_party]

4. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Yeah, if the EU is followed, then she'll almost have to make an appearance, but personally, I wouldn't want to have her in anything more than a minor role, as again, I feel the ST should be the time for Ben and Jaina's generation to be the focus of the story.

Oh, and to your earlier edit that I missed, yes, certainly some kids can act (I still wonder to myself how TPM may have differed had, say, Haley Joel Osment gotten the role of Anakin). That said, just because a kid may be able to pull of a given role, doesn't mean that I want to sit down and watch it happen. :)

It's just not the direction I hope to see the ST go in. I'm perfectly happy with the characters of Ben and Jaina, where they stand in their respective character arcs, and their current ages, and I think they could really make for two fine lead characters in the ST. If the EU isn't to be strictly adhered to (and I imagine it probably will not be), then give me the same rough templates (an 18-20 year old son for Luke and an older daughter of Leia and Han to help guide him), and I'll be thrilled.

5. Jedi_Lantern

Jedi_Lantern Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 3, 2013
    Only if you want her to be sexed up. Female alien main characters are always given subtle or blunt sexual undertones

6. Darth_Quintonis

Darth_Quintonis Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 31, 2013
    Yes, she should be a Togruta named Ahsoka. :)

7. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    And she died many years ago. ;)

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  8. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I hope to see both Saba and Cilghal (and other Jedi of the new Order) in the ST. They would be great supporting characters to see on the big screen.

Samayel_ and Ryus like this.
  9. darthtuttle

darthtuttle Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    I keep telling you, it will be the offspring of jar jar and the stir whip lady from the holiday special.

10. Samayel_

Samayel_ Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2012
    specially Kyle Katarn, if Disney came with a reboot, it would be less painful if we see Kyle Katarn on it.

11. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I would prefer an all new female alien character, not a character that has already been used in the EU. Besides we have enough of Ahsoka, and if she ever appears again in star wars, i would prefer it being in the dark times era, whether in a new book/comic or tv series, but not in the ST.

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  12. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Should the New Republic grant amnesty to all these aliens? Or should they put up a wall between The Core and the Outer Rim?

13. Darth kRud

Darth kRud Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Yes, my x girlfriend, Darth Succubus. She'd make a fine Sith lord.

14. Roberto Calrissian

Roberto Calrissian Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    Jaina Solo, Cilghal&The Witches of some planet I forgot

15. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Should there be a female alien as a main character in the ST?

As a main character of the ST? That depends, would either Luke's son or Leia and Han's daughter qualify as "female aliens"? Because, truth be told, they (alongside the returning OT heroes) are the main characters I'm really interested in seeing.

Now, if we're talking B-role 'alien' characters like Chewbacca, then sure, why not?

Ryus and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  16. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    Depends on how alien.. if it's the kind of alien in line with the triple breasted mutant chick from Total Recall, I'm all for it!

17. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I want to see a female Zeltron.

Also the more Saba/or Barabels in general the better.

18. darthYENIK

darthYENIK Jedi Master star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    Remember when Zabraks were all the rage? Let's bring that back.

19. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    Honestly I'm expecting a female to be the main character. Disney's been doing that a lot lately. I'm not against it or anything, I'm just saying that we have a greater chance of having a female protagonist now that Disney is around.

Or, as I would like it to be, have it to where there's one male main character and one female one. Like twins maybe, or friends or lovers or something. And it's both their perspective and they are equally important.

Leia was an addition to the main story of the OT. She wasn't exactly focused on. Yes, she was important, but Luke in his X-wing and Han Solo and even Chewie with their gunslingin' blasters...we see Luke change from a boy living in Tatooine to a hero of the Rebellion and a Jedi Knight. Solo and Chewie are in deep trouble with Jabba the Hutt, and we see them change from scoundrels to...well...scoundrels with honor...lol. But Leia, although nice and sweet and spunky and willing to talk back to Vader, isn't really focused on. She's the girl of the OT. And that's about it. The only thing they really focus on her is her relationship with Han and Luke. She's not followed anywhere else in character development.

Padme was essential to the plot of the PT, but she wasn't focused on. She goes from a young Queen of Naboo to Senator of Naboo. All we really know about her is that she is a politician. I wish they had kept the scenes where Anakin and Padme were at Padme's house on Naboo. This would have been the first time you actually got to see Padme just at home, relaxed, and herself. We would have seen her true emotions for Anakin, and her family, too, and some of her background. Excellent character development. Unfortunately, those scenes were cut. Personally, I felt more attached to Padme than I did to Leia, but that's mostly cause of the tragedy of the whole thing.

I hope Disney has a female character in a prominent role and one that goes through a major character change and one that we can really connect and feel empathy towards. If they make the protagonist female, then please don't make her cheesy.

20. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I want to see a new alien never before seen as the new side kick, but I prefer it to be a male - just to make up for the Jar Jar Binks fail.

darthbarracuda likes this.
  21. darthbarracuda

Nov 4, 2012
    I agree, however if they do it please either make him/her serious and not the stupid sidekick meant for comic relief (ahem Jar Jar aham). I'm afraid that Disney's gonna do that though to appeal to the kiddies.

Either make the character really really really good CGI, or make it real life. If it's real, then do a fantastic job on the makeup. We can't have a Twi'lek important character that has their head tails at different angles or stiff or unrealistic. In that case, CGI might actually be a better option. The OT got away with the puppets, cause everyone at the time was used to puppets. Not today though.

22. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    If she is a hot blue Jedi, I am all for it, something like this.

[​IMG]

:)

Darth_Quintonis likes this.
  23. darthbarracuda

Nov 4, 2012
    I can never get over their ears though. Really weird. I guess since they're alien...

24. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I've nothing against a lead character being a non-human female, it would be a change from the norm.

But if the movies are about the Skywalkers, it wouldn't make much sense unless Luke had an alien wife.

25. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    A female Alien as the main lead? No thanks. I wouldn't mind seeing a female lead like in the new LEGACY comics but not an alien.

darthbarracuda and Ryus like this.