main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "If You Seek His Monument, Look Around You" - The Man of Steel and Announced Sequel Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    We don't actually know if Jonathon is trying to tell Clark to let the kids die; and I think that what you'll find they've done is make Jonathan the moral centre Clark needs whilst also having him recognise that a kid like his is probably too pure with those powers to be taken in by society.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I wonder if that line by Jonathan Kent in the trailer is edited... I'm certain that statement is the entirety of their conversation in the actual film...

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, I'm sure it is. I believe it's possible he may actually respond to "I should have let those kids die?" with "Maybe." As a function of "If that's what's in your heart, but that's not how we/I raised you" type of thing.

I can't -- well, sort of refuse -- to believe anyone would miss the point of Superman badly enough to have the "I learned my moral compass from my small-town human parents" aspects ruined by having that be a solid "maybe" in the "Maybe, if you need to protect yourself, I don't know..." way.

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Your logic is not welcome in this discussion. Histrionic overreaction to uncontextual, incomplete lines of dialogue are what we are going for in here...

6. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Cracked is honestly a remarkably stupid website.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Not always. Some of the stuff is good and/or funny. But this sort of thing just annoys me....

8. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Can't agree. The vast majority of their output are moronic lists that, while being entertaining (I have lost more time than I am comfortable admitting to reading a string of their articles) are ultimately based on miscontextualizing information and using hyperbolic language to make it appear they are making points that actually fall apart under scrutiny. And they're have a moronic literalist bent when it comes to films that seems predicated on them having no idea that films are "fiction" and that "fiction" is "totally made up by people."

9. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    My "sarcastic and mildly apoplectic rant" (<--- my own words), which seems to have begun this discussion, was intended to be funny in a hyperbolic kind of way. Obviously I haven't seen the film, and trailers can present an incomplete picture of tone, character motivations, etc. I responded unfavorably to the idea that the Kents fail to provide Clark his moral compass based on the trailer and on an article on the film quoting the writer(s), who confirmed that they were taking that tact. But I will certainly go into the film with an open mind, hoping that this aspect will be justified or developed into the context of the Superman I know and love, who despite Kill Bill's mangling of his identity, is actually Clark Kent, a Midwestern boy from Smallville, USA.

10. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    [​IMG]

11. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Isn't he a little short to be a storm trooper?

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  12. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    To say nothing about Space Jockey/Engineer...

13. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Some samples from the Zimmer soundtrack:

It's Zimmer, so it's great.

All I can conjecture is that 0:30 is something having to do with Zod, and from about 3:42 on, it sounds like something's going down- my guess would be the assumed showdown, or equivalent of it.

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
  15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    If this does well, does that mean the JL movie will be moved forward?

16. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Given the last trailer we saw, I'm inclined to believe that rumor is a bunch of marlarkey.

No, because DC/Warner Bros. Can't seem to make either good versions of the other existing characters needed for the Justice League on the Big Screen (GL) or said characters are stuck in permanent development hell (Flash, Wonder Woman).

I predict we will see Avengers 4 long before we ever see a Justice League movie.

17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    What's weird is we're getting Justice League Dark before Justice League Original Recipe.

18. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005

Even if it does, it is going to face a massive up-hill battle now that Marvel has beaten DC to the punch, and the kick, and the headlock. Marvel is so far into their own cinematic series that DC would forever be playing catch up, while also trying to keep their films different enough to avoid comparisons and accusations of plagiarism. Some of the characters DC might want to use would be almost off-limits because the Marvel films got their counterparts to the big screen first. It will be very hard for DC to compete effectively.

Darth_Invidious and Juliet316 like this.
  19. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Lucky you are barking mad and, it seems, to be ignored for more than just your music taste.

DC are looking to bring their IPs to the screen and have them centred around the Justice League. It's happening, your predictions be damned.

20. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    The last time I was hopeful for even the remotest chance of a JL movie was when Joss Whedon was attached to Wonder Woman. Once he was run off, so too were my hopes for anything other than the occassional Superman or Batman movie (and the occassional lesser made film like GL or Steel [Which I liked, but only because I had to take the Steel movieverse as completely seperate from the Steel Comic origin]) every few years or so.

21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Fascinating.

Ender_Sai likes this.
  22. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    It's pretty sad that Marvel is working on two separate team films(in addition to way more single character movies) and DC can't even get its flagship out of port when its parent company is a movie studio(Marvel has yet to release a film since the Disney purchase, technically). On top of that, other studios have even gotten in on the action.

23. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I saw that, too, and it would be a terrible, terrible decision. I had actually wondered about that when I saw the last trailer, because there is a clip
    that says something about Zod wanting to "take Kal-El back", which would imply kyrpton wasn't destroyed. At the time, I wrote it off to maybe being out of context.

EDIT: Just watched the trailer again, couldn't find the part I was thinking of. Maybe it was an earlier one.

24. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    And if that isn't the very definition of irony, I don't know what is. It's pathetic really. What kind of idiot suits are running the show at Warners that they can't get their **** together at competing with Disney when they OWN hundreds of superheroes under one roof?

Juliet316 likes this.
  25. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I don't know, they did Batman pretty well.