main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Wait, Nute Gunray is an Ood? [face_hypnotized]

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Imagine my avatar's face with tentacle beard and you've got your answer.

3. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
  4. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Great, I wish him luck.

(But through the entire video I was waiting for him to take an EU novel and mutter "Hey, I can just copy from these")

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Wait--is the plural of nerf "nerfs"?

6. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
  7. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    I recall the term being used in old Galactic Battlegrounds games... sort of along the lines of "all your nerfs belong to us."

(sort of miss that game... not every day you get to play as Vilmarh Grahrk and Mahwi Lihnn sailing around in the Virago....)

8. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Meh, I say nerf. Personal canon FTW.

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    IIRC, they also say "nerfs" in Bounty Hunter.

10. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I'm pretty sure one of the books says "Jedis", that doesn't make it not stupid. :p

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Compromise: nerves.

....dammit, that's already a thing.

TrakNar and CooperTFN like this.
  12. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I rather liked the plot. The Clone Wars one was fun as well. I still have fond memories of fighting my way through the post-Battle of Geonosis battlescape using Ki-Adi-Mundi and other Jedi backed up by clone troopers. I loved using Jedi in that game!

As for the original Galactic Battlegrounds, I really loved playing as the Royal Naboo and Wookiees. The designs for both were really spot on. I still recall sending an armada of Air Cruisers across the map to olbliterate Imperial defenses. :cool:

--Adm. Nick

Zeta1127 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Meaniehead!! :(

...I usually played as the Royal Naboo also, because their buildings looked better than the bunker-esque designs of the Imperial buildings (save for the Imperial Palace Monument thingie). Have some fun memories of playing multiplayer GBG with the JCer group...

Campaign-wise, I still remember the neat characters like that weird Echuu Shen-Jon guy or Sevrance Tann. The final Rebel attack on Coruscant was fun, although I maintain that Force Commander's version of that was better.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  14. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    The Naboo air cruiser looked hilarious. It had a giant clown nose. And the Gungans were a great Vong stand-in.

In other news, I just presented my capstone presentation. Nerves made it go a bit faster than I intended, and I stumbled a little in the Q&A, but generally it went pretty well.

I need a drink.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    This is why you should have done what my friend did and had your capstone on Roman wine. Then you'd have to drink during your presentation -- it's part of the process!

Congrats, though. Presenting is always the hardest part of these things, imo. Now you can relax and just turn in your final draft. :p

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    In undergrad, I had a professor tell me that I needed to drink wine before class; I was always so nervous. And he was a French professor so I probably could have gotten away with it. :p

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  17. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Incidentally, I actually have shown up to this capstone class after having drank a bit. It was fun :D

@Praefectus Classis Magnus Iello- yeah, that's the hardest part. I'll probably start revising in earnest sometime this weekend. But tonight is going to consist of beer, video games, and book 4 of Malazan.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Meanwhile I'm working on my state bar exam -- which, I kid you not -- is almost as intensive as ****ing security clearance was. That's ridiculous.

Well, sort of, I guess. Both of them wanted to know every single place I've lived, permanent and temporary, over the last 10 years, both of them wanted to know my complete employment history over the past 10 years (employed and unemployed, leaving no period of time unaccounted for -- the government, of course, wanted me to put down a WITNESS to verify unemployment and means of support)... the government wanted to know every foreigner to which I've spoken to for a significant length of time, and it's like... do JCers count?

urgh so much for having any privacy :p

19. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Man, you better hope they don't see some of the threads in Lit :p

CooperTFN likes this.
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    You kid, but I often wonder if they'll start doing that once I need to apply for the higher clearances :p Hopefully they don't give a rat's ass about the interwebs, but you never know. :p

Oh well. At least I have strong anti-commie bona fides!

21. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    Yeah, right before I did my M.S. defense a fellow grad student came up to me with a little foil-wrapped candy. Had to ask if it was my suicide pill; it was candy with a tequila center. Gulped it right down when it was all over, and then followed up over the course of an evening with a bottomless beer mug and multiple shots of the hard stuff.

As for Battlegrounds, I still remember the one time I was playing as Empire vs. Gungans. Finally got around to getting the Bothan Spynet upgrade and found out the clumsy oafs had taken over three-quarters of the map, requiring me to hold the line while I flanked them with a giant amphibious assault. I think I had about 20 AT-ATs in the assault and an entire platoon of darktroopers. Ouch time ...

22. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Shouldn't the absence of witnesses to employment serve as a general indication of unemployment?

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Ah, but what if you're faking unemployment?? For... some reason?

24. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Be sure to mention the part where we established that foreigners are cretins.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  25. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    If you're faking something that brings with it no tangible benefits and numerous disadvantages, you're probably not clever enough to get to the point of requiring government clearance in the first place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.