main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Micro-series vs. TCW

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Saga_Symphony, Nov 14, 2012.

?

Which Clone Wars show do you like better?

1. Clone Wars (2003)

115 vote(s)
    35.2%
  2. The Clone Wars (2008)

212 vote(s)
    64.8%
  1. ThatsNoPloKoon

ThatsNoPloKoon Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2013
    How does something being "serious" make it better? It's not true anyway that the microseries wasn't "serious". It had lighthearted moments and more emotional moments, just like TCW does.

Having only watched the first 3 series of TCW I do prefer the microseries at this stage. Like others have said it did a better job making it seem like the galaxy was actually at war and made the Separatists formidable foes instead of it seeming like they go from defeat to defeat in TCW. I do prefer TCW characterisation of Anakin but CW still does a good job with him. Although I enjoy both overall I feel like TCW is a lot more hit or miss. You have good episodes like the Savage Opress stuff and the Citadel arc but then you've got the incredibly boring "Senate" episodes and any episode that has too much Jar Jar antics. CW was pretty excellent throughout for me.

But we'll see what Season 4 and 5 have to bring. I'm really looking forward to this Maul arc.

2. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    It doesn't make them better. Everyone will have their own opinion. However at the same time it is obvious it was not meant to be taken for gospel which is why they created TCW (so people could have a good cartoon series to watch over the same time period that they could take seriously and that that was the story that Lucas wants told).

3. ThatsNoPloKoon

ThatsNoPloKoon Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2013
    I don't see how it's obvious the microseries wasn't supposed to be taken seriously. Lucas was the one who hired Tartakovsky to do the series. And anyway I don't really care if one thing is the story Lucas supposedly wanted told instead of another. I like a good Star Wars story regardless of whether Lucas is involved or not.

cwustudent, JackG, spicer and 2 others like this.
  4. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    Well that is your choice. For me (along with the fact that I also thought TCW was much much better) I prefer to stick with the stuff that came from Lucas and the things he was directly involved with. TCW has been stated to be a high level of canon while the micro series was not. I don't really want to bother with all the extra stuff that isn't considered a high level of canon.

Ani501st likes this.
  5. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    I think you'll enjoy Seasons 4 and 5 much more. There are far fewer political episodes and more action, including story arcs similar to the Opress Nightsister arc and the Citadel arc. These last two seasons were my favorites (well, if you pretend the droid arc never existed you'll enjoy Season 5 a lot more); excluding that unfortunate arc (and perhaps a couple others, YMMV), the quality is in general much more consistent. So I highly recommend watching them, especially the Maul arcs.

cwustudent and ThatsNoPloKoon like this.
  6. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    The Umbara, Slaves of the Republic, Rako Hardeen, Maul, and Ahsoka Fugitive arcs truly raised the bar each IMO. They show what TCW can do with good, fast paced character and story driven arcs.

7. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    My thing now is that at least the micro was compete, this series left too many things unanswered. We can't just pick up the movie novel and say...Ohh thats how everything ends. Where did Asohka go, what happned to Cad Bane, of course ...Darth Back to Life Maul, and mystical mother Talzin. This is bad stuff for me.

8. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    Cad Bane is a bounty hunter so if he does not die in a mission, he will continue for the rest of his life this job.
    For Ahsoka, we at least know she is alive so that's no so dramatic.
    But yeah I agree, it's too bad not to see how it ends for Talzin, Maul and Rex and the others.

9. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I just want a conclusion for Rex and Maul. And its not sounding to much like that will even happen. The incompleteness caused by the cancellation will be one knock on TCW. It might make it harder to get into for anyone looking to watch TCW now. I know people who won't watch something if there isn't an ending and it stops.

cwustudent and vong333 like this.
  10. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    Good bet they will try to wrap up the important characters in the bonus material that will be coming out. In anycase I would much prefer a regular series full of twenty plus twenty two minute long episodes per seasons vs a couple seasons of three and twelve minute episodes.

11. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I concur in that Cad Bane's fate isn't important and that it doesn't matter where Ahsoka ends up. That was the end of her character arc; we now know why she's not in ROTS. What exactly would knowledge of Ahsoka's whereabouts after her exit of the Order give us? Nothing. Some heroes just walk into the sunset.

Talzin, Maul, and Rex's story arcs should have been completed, of course, but I attribute the incompletion of the character arcs to Disney since they're the ones that cancelled the series.

cwustudent likes this.
  12. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Not only pick up an watch an incomplete series, but even bother to see the new animation. Why? Whats the incentive. No closure for TCW, for TFU, and well look at KOTR, we had to wait forever to get an MMO to complete the story. The problem is I don't play MMO's and have been relegated to watching youtube videos to see the ending.

13. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    I think my biggest unanswered TCW question is how did Boba get the Slave I back from Hondo and what happens to Aurra Sing? Although it's pretty easy to fill in the plot holes with imagination lol. They are kind of Boba Fett's family so I'd have liked to see how their fates influence Boba's character (Does Boba betray/outwit everyone and receive their bounties?)

Boba Fett's journey in TCW was fascinating, especially knowing how hardcore he would become, his 'humble' beginnings and just how much he struggles in TCW, how harsh his life is. I can't help but feel like he and Anakin had that in common, starting off as stupid kids with a long way to go and extremely rough journeys and harsh environment which finally result in their personalities in the OT.

cwustudent likes this.
  14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The micro-series was so much more fun.

AusStig, windu4, Theron Solo and 2 others like this.
  15. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    VanishingReality, I assumed that evnetually Boba and Cad would team up against Hondo. In the end Boba would steal the Slave I back. I'd like to see the answer on screen since Boba has a few loose ends in TCW. Would be great to get another over the top performance by Jim Cummings.

16. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    Well try again.

Florrum: Hondo has Anakin's and Dooku's lightsabers. When the Jedi break free, he has Obi-Wan's lightsaber and Dooku's is nowhere to be seen.

Asajj: She loses one lightsaber on Teth yet uses the same two in later episodes. She loses one lightsaber in the fight against the Savage and Maul yet later on against Ahsoka she has both of them again.

Citadel: The number of clone troopers varies all the time. Also, the blasters they used during the arc changed all the time as well.

Nautolans; They're not supposed to blink.

I'm sure there are many more.

17. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    The Clone Wars (2008).

The Clone Wars (2004) Felt like an epic anthology film. I love both. They're the same beast. If I had to absolutely choose, it would be the 2008 series. It's better. Matt Lanter is a superior Anakin, my daughter and I love Ashoka.

cwustudent likes this.
  18. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Well, there are rumours about an episode arc involving Boba Fett turning Sing and Bane against each other.

VanishingReality likes this.
  19. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    TCW all the way!

AshiusX and Ani501st like this.
  20. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I love them both, but the microseries didn't trample over canon as much as the new series did.

13thsithlord likes this.
  21. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    The way I see it, they both did great jobs for two different things:

Genndy is awesome at action, visuals and badass characters. For example, I know it was Lucas who made Grievous, but we all know it was the Micro Series that made him awesome. however, the old show was bad at story and characters. They were passable, but they were kinda just there, no one got developed, barely anyone got meaningful lines. Most of them were pure action. Now, what this series had that the other didn't was freedom. They weren't bound by the movies, so they didn't have to jump through hoops.

TCW is awesome at arcs, and sometimes story. The action, especially in earlier seasons was subpar. But they made up for it by making it an actual show, not 3 minutes of action scenes. Now, I've grown to love the new show. Even my intense hatred of Ahsoka has been more or less tempered, by less shoehorning of her into everything. Now the first three seasons were....pretty awful, yes they had great episodes from time to time, but did we really need all this Jar Jar or irrelevant political talk? Do we really need to be reminded why The Phantom Menace had us cringing in this show, called the the Clone Wars? My final compliant is all the retcons, some of them like Barriss, Maul(Which was pretty stupid at first) and technically Anakin's voice, are for the better. But honestly, more than a few are just unnecessary: Piel's death, Adi Gallia's death, which made Obsession, a great ending to several character arcs, noncanon, and Grievous always having a cough(I know it's foreshadowing, but no one cares. Seriously we all know Anakin is gonna become a robot with black lung, you don't need to remind us every six minutes.)

So in the end, while I really can't pick, I'll say Genndy, because it never took me 3 years to adapt. Once again, I enjoy both. But I'll always have my complaints.

22. 13thsithlord

13thsithlord Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 30, 2005
    micro series all the way ......

spicer likes this.
  23. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    I haven't seen the entire TCW series, but from what I have seen, I still prefer the microseries because it did not blatantly disregard established continuity.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    CW 2003: The animation really threw me off; when it first came out, I could not stand the way Anakin was drawn, and it was a turn-off. But the storylines were better; no pet characters and a bigger focus on the war itself. Plus it fits in better with already-established continuity, as the PP said, and the Separatists were actually considered a viable threat as opposed to toy-villains for the Republic to play with in a video game that they could play with their eyes closed and one hand behind their backs.

TCW 2008: As I said, much better animation, this is Filoni's strength and this is where Disney should make the most use of his talents. I mentioned the bigger focus on the war itself with CW 2003, but that said, there were a few non-war-focused episodes that I liked in TCW 2008, including the political episodes. And I liked Matt Lanter's Anakin a lot, as well as his interaction with Obi-Wan, which we see more of in this series; plus I liked Ventress' development. But...pet characters (yeah, Filoni, we know which ones are your favorites without your saying so in an interview--and that's not a good thing), love triangles, and needless ****ting on continuity (see: Barriss Offee).

If I had to vote, it would be for CW 2003, although I can see merits and disadvantages to both.

AusStig and Esg like this.
  25. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    I suggest all the people bringing up the canon issue of TCW come to peace with it before going to see the sequel trilogy movies. Boy howdy will there be a lot of complaining by the ones who aren't at peace with it yet.