main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Michael Arndt Is Having Some Trouble With The STAR WARS EPISODE VII Script

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by bstnsx704, Apr 23, 2013.

1. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Or drink blue milk

2. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    Thanks for this. Hilarious. I cannot imagine the pressure. If this movie bombs, HE will be blamed![face_nail_biting]

3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Nah, I'm sure we'll blame Lucas. :p

4. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Poor Arndt...dude definitly has the hardest job in the entire SW7. Not only do you have to make the OT people relevant, awesome and in character and with enough screentime/stuff to do to satisfy the fans who are convinced the movie should be 100% about them, but you also have to create new characters who can take over this franchise and not piss off people *mostly my sister* who dont like the idea of new people taking the attention away from the OT cast. Add onto that the huge pressure of trying to create a new story that isn't a rip off of a past film, and to bring things "full circle" (if they're going that direction). Definitly a hard job. Good luck....we're all counting on you. No pressure...its not like fans and hollywood will rip you apart if you mess this up ;)

5. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I would say it would probably be the greatest but at the same time most terrifying job there is. This is Star Wars we're talking about. The innocence of fans childhoods are on the line here. :p

6. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Actually, this will divide fans even more. If the movie is awesome some will say "It's because of Lucas' guidance" others will say "It's because Lucas was barely involved". If the movie sucks some will say "It's because of Lucas' guidance" others will say "It's because Lucas was barely involved". :)

7. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    You know what, lets get all that mess out of the way and lay it down right here. Because when you think about it,there are only certain things in the final film that you would be able to attribute to George Lucas's input.

Things you CAN'T attribute Lucas to: Acting, pacing, amount of cgi, cinematography, basically anything that has to do with the production and post-production stages of the film

Things you can MAYBE attribute Lucas to: little details that give texture to the film, thematic connections to the original six films, aspects of greater movements of the story

Things you can DEFINITELY attribute Lucas to: The entire cast comprising of Gungans and Ewoks (I kid, I kid)

8. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    This was great.

9. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    It is neat to think that the story of this movie and perhaps the next two are already told and in the heads and notes and computers of people. It must be what it's like to be those few people in the world sworn to secrecy about aliens or the actual Ark of the Covenant or the Colonel's recipe.
    I'd like to know how many characters he, as screenwriter, would actually be creating.

10. Roger Goldleader

Roger Goldleader Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 1, 2000
    I always thought she was calling Han a Nerfurter, like frankfurter - you know, like he was an extraterrestrial hot dog.

11. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Did we watch the same movie?

Darth Chiznuk and DarthBreezy like this.
  12. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Maybe I was in the wrong mood. *shrug* Or maybe it was because in my childhood I played with Dinosaurs and Legos pretty much exclusively, not dolls.

But I simply didn't care for any character but Buzz. Not going to apologize for it anyway. Not everyone likes everything that is the current rage.

13. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Your right about that for sure. Hopefully some will realize that it was collaborative effort and give the credit or blame (hopefully credit :p) to everyone involved and not just focus on one person and laud or demonize him/her. That would be nice for a change. :)

Pro Scoundrel and Darth_Pevra like this.
  14. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Since I'm normally the pessimistic one here: The sad part is ONLY Lucas was blamed for the PT (even though the PT generated 100s of millions of dollars and brought SW back into the mainstream). However with the ST, people might blame "Disney" and or Abrams, Arndt. IMO Lucas will ALWAYS be the "primary" villain in their SW hate.

I really hope Arndt is a SW purist and doesn't try and make it's something it's not. Also completely ignoring the PT is bad too. It's like if you break up with a girlfriend and you go OUT of your way to avoid her, it looks untatural and wrong. Nods to the PT should be in the ST as well as nods to the OT. Hopefully Arndt isn't that biased, or at least doesn't let it effect his writing.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  15. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Didn't ask you to apologize, it's weird though cause everyone I know loved that movie.

16. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Can't believe it took me this long to watch that!! hilarious stuff!!

17. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    If Lucas approves of the script & Abrams likes it, I have faith it will be good.

18. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    I thought it was awful, and certainly the worst Pixar offering (which is saying something, considering the travesty that was Wall-E.)

19. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    That's OK, don't worry about having an opinion :)

I'm just excited for Finding Dory. Finding Nemo is my all time favorite animated film.

20. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    I think Arndt is a brilliant screenwriter. One of the best in Hollywood right now. From Toy Story 3 to Little Miss Sunshine. I believe in him, and this was absolute gold.

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I am so beyond such a comparison of their roles in all of this. If it is a bad film, it is Zack Snyder's fault, but if it's good, all the credit deservedly goes to Christopher Nolan...

22. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    I bet he is, knowing he writes kids movies.

23. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I saw Oblivion last night and I thought it was awesome. REALLY had a Star Wars vibe to it.

24. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    This was pretty funny! I'm sure the we're in good hands!

;)

25. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Is this actually Michael Arndt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk