main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Things you didn't like about AOTC

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Feelicks, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    I agree. I think Lucas was seeking a way to get him more involved with the film, rather than just being the Lars family maid. However, I do think that the droid factory was not that place to give him his personality.

2. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Things I'm not overly fond of:

- Reused music.
    - The editing of Artoo rescuing Padmé in the droid factory.
    - The blu-ray edit of Dooku's escape.

Other than that, I love AOTC dearly!

- Lost a planet, Master Obi-Wan has!
    - Lando conned somebody out of it.

/LM

3. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    This movie has become something of a staple of "awesome" movie night in our home, and what really gets us giggling is the fireplace romance scene. The line delivery is straight out of a high school play, which is unfortunate since a good deal of time is spent in relatively static shots focused on the actors, leaving you no choice but to focus on the cringe inducing lines that they are delivering in high school acting quality. Needless to say, unintentionally funny lines + unintentionally comedic delivery results in a scene that usually requires about 2 to 3 re-watches in a row to get all of the laughing out so we can move on to the next scene. The movies featured during "awesome" movie night often get acted out live by two or three of the participants at the next show, and this scene never fails to provide no less than 5 or 6 minutes of good improve material.

4. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    One question that has always bothered me about that movie, why live a lie in the first place? Why not just tell the order you want to get married, and if they can't accept that just leave?

After all, they want him to be their chosen one, doesn't that give Anakin all the leverage?

5. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Good call. Despite saying "I'm tired of all this deception, I don't care if they know we're married" in ROTS (which is a great line btw), I think Anakin didn't want them to know through fear of failing the Jedi and the Republic (as Padme says "You expect too much of yourself"). Anakin should possibly have trusted his instinct and left the Order, but he probably felt obligated. Also, we know the real reason is that the stress, weight, claustrophobia and context of the problem Anakin is faced with beautifully sets up the turn, and the galaxy, you know, imploding because of it.

6. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    It just seems to me like the smart thing to do would have been to just admit it right from the jump. The order thinks he's their messiah, are they really going to let him walk?

Dredalus likes this.
  7. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    My reading of this has always been that Anakin wanted to make sure he would be allowed to fight and didn't want to risk expulsion from the Jedi Order, which would also bar him from active duty most likely. Already, because of the war, he's pretty much separated from Padmé for long stretches of time so it's not as difficult to keep secret as it would be during peacetime. Eventually, though, it grates on him and he does want to make their relationship public. I think, though, that he likely decided to wait until the end of the war to see it through to the end.

Anakin makes a couple of statements that hint at this, such as his "it will make it easier for us to end this war" in response to Palpatine's expanded powers. And his comment of "At last, now we can capture that monster and end this war." in regards to Grevious. Which show, at the very least, that he's eager to bring the war to a close.

I think he also knew he was on shoddy footing with the Council. They don't trust him -- at least, Mace doesn't. And many of the influential Council members, such as Mace and Yoda, doubt the prophecy and believe it could have been misread.

That's my take on it, anyway.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  8. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I think it's a reasonable take, too. The one thing that I would say though, is that by going to the Jedi before he marries her, he has all the leverage. They can't accuse him of wrong doing, because the marriage hasn't happened yet. It forces them to make the choice, instead of him. And given his chosen one status, I don't think it's an issue that they would be willing to press, no matter how much they may disagree with it or how it may clash with their values and beliefs.

Force them to take the action

9. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    I agree, but as a matter of fact, I like C3PO the most when he is quiet - in all of the films, not just AotC. I don't really like his comments in the Original trilogy either. My opinion is that whenever he was used - he was overused, ESPECIALLY in the OT. For example, he was used perfectly in RotS (and in TPM to some extent). He delivered some nice and heartwarming lines in the midst of chaos basically. In all of the other films, he just killed a lot of tension for me, although I can put him at the back of my mind and still enjoy every aspect of the films.

10. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I don't think he wanted to push them. Note that besides Qui-Gon making a quick mention of Anakin being the Chosen One in Anakin's presence, the Council never really discusses the prophecy in front of him. It's usually Mace, Yoda, and Obi-Wan discussing it alone. And Anakin himself never really brings up the topic -- even when he's going on about being the "most powerful Jedi ever."

For that reason, I don't know if he would have been all that willing to try to use the prophecy as a bargaining chip. Especially since, in AOTC, when Anakin wants to go back for Padmé after she falls out of the ship, Obi-Wan tells him he will be expelled. It was likely a risk he didn't want to take. And I don't know that he was fully aware of how much sway (if any) the prophecy would have over the Council.

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  11. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013

I do agree with you, he didn't seem willing to risk it.

12. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    How Beru only has one line.

13. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Anakin's hair. That hairstyle only worked on one guy, and he wasn't named Jake or Hayden.

14. MRCynical

MRCynical Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2008
    With his mother dead the Jedi Order was the only family Anakin had ever known. Plus that (as Padme says in Episode III) being the cause of the 'chosen one' leaving the Jedi Order (in this case right at the start of a war) would likely have catastrophic consequences for her career.

As for the topic, I thought a lot of the car chase scene in AOTC was poorly done (though I loved "If you'll excuse me..."). Don't know whether it was the music or whatever.

15. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Fixed that for you. :D

16. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 6, 2013
    Things I didn't like about AOTC -
    Hayden Whatshisname.....a bad actor choice imo (although he's been good in other things I've seen him in, so maybe we can blame George Lucas' script on this one)
    C-3PO on Geonosis, taking a well loved character and turning him into Jar Jar Binks understudy!!
    R2D2 can suddenly fly!!...nuff said!
    The love story, so sugary sweet and twee, I ended up with diabetes after watching it!!!
    The 3 animal things in the arena....ooh new toy designs!!
    Yoda's first on screen duel......should have been epic.......ended up as a digital blur leaping about, screaming like a frog on cocaine!!
    The droid factory......thought someone had interrupted the film by switching on and playing a rather bad X-Box game
    Schmi Skywalker hanging on and on and on until her son appears then carking it 5 seconds after he arrives!!

The worst film of the prequels imo, but it's still fun enough to keep me and the kids occupied on a rainy afternoon!!

KilroyMcFadden likes this.
  17. MRCynical

Oct 7, 2008
    Interesting, I actually thought Christensen was better (or less bad, perhaps) in AOTC than in ROTS. He certainly doesn't mangle anything in AOTC as badly as the "You turned her against me / You will not take her from me" he squeals out in the confrontation with Obi-Wan in ROTS.

18. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    don't know if I mentioned this already,

I've stated it's my favourite Star Wars film, but I didn't like the choppy editing of the final duel too much,

I also thought the water on Kamino was a bit too CGI-ish, but it was 2002, so I can't be too hard on it

19. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    I see what u did there ;)

20. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    The list is too long...

It's funny though, I loved this film when it came out...but the more I watched it the more I started to hate it. I knew from the first time I saw it that the Padme/Anakin love scenes were just wrong on every level.

21. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 6, 2013
    I know where you're coming from here, I was watching ROTS on a downtime break this morning and some of his lines are dire and delivered so amateurish that you'ld be forgiven for thinking that he's never acted before!! And as for the lines you quoted...just painful. Never liked Hayden in either film, but when he's in a scene with Natalie Portman, it's fast forward time!!!

ILNP likes this.
  22. MRCynical

Oct 7, 2008
    I actually like the infamous 'fireplace scene'. Yes the lines are awkward, and at times cringe-worthy, but I think that's exactly how it should have been: he's a slave-turned-monk from a backwater planet, trying (and failing) to sound sophisticated to impress the older aristocrat girl he likes.

23. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    And all the foreshadowing in that scene

The fireplace - Mustafar

Padme's dark clothing - Vader

24. Tornado Wrangler

Tornado Wrangler Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 22, 2013
    The Anakin-Padme scenes make me cringe at times.

I also hated the constant back-and-forth between Obi-Wan and Anakin. I wish their relationship would have been portrayed as being more positive and solid. It would have made his fall into darkness all the more dramatic and mind-blowing.

Also, that Padme was just "ok" with his admission to murdering an entire tribe of sand people. I lost all respect for her character after that.

I do enjoy most of the movie though. Just bugs the heck out of me to think about all the ways it could have been even more awesome.

ILNP likes this.
  25. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I never really at any point believe these characters were the good friends that Obi describes to us in ANH. Lucas makes an attempt to show us that in the first part of Ep III but it's way too little too late.

I never really feel like these are the same people