main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga What's your favorite small detail from the Saga?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Nerdling, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Some of mine are:

--C-3PO telling the story to the Ewoks with his own sound effects
    --The rancor's owner crying
    --Han stroking Chewie's hair kind of like he would a dog's but also affectionately more like they are equals and friends

2. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    That one circular metal door Luke walks through on Bespin that, for whatever reason, they decided to use a jump cut to make it close faster. I always thought that was fascinating for some reason.

What's funny is that I've noticed "homages" to that door in other media. Toy Story 2 has it in the opening sequence, and all of the doors in KOTOR are animated with that same jerky motion (On that note, all Bioware games have really interesting doors in general). There's just something oddly charming about it.

3. Darth Nerdling

Mar 20, 2013
    Oh, I forgot my very favorite! When Vader says: "I see that you constructed a new light saber" and then ignites it. He says this right after Luke tells him that there is still good in him. When he ignites it, you at first think, "Uh-oh, this isn't good. Luke's a goner." But instead, Vader examines the lightsaber as if admiring Luke's handiwork, sort of like how a father would examine his son's homemade baseball bat in olden times. Then, he simply turns the saber back off.

4. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Okay, here I go...

TPM
    - The Protacol droid at the start; "Oh, excuse me!"
    - Qui-Gon force-calming Jar Jar and "There's always a bigger fish."
    - Failed Jedi mind-trick on Watto.
    - Maul's jumps during the duel.
    - The inversion of the Emperor's theme for the ending celebrations music.
    AOTC
    - Pan up at the start.
    - The way Anakin looks at Padme a moment after rescuing her from the poisonous slugs. Don't know if it was intentional, but he looks like he is nervous here.
    - "You don't want to sell me deathsticks. You want to go home and rethink your life." Maybe it's just because I used to be a stoner, but this always made me laugh.
    - Shmi's scars mirroring Anakin's at the end of ROTJ. Role reversal. I think.
    - Anakin losing a green saber fighting Dooku, possibly symbolising a partial loss of innocence at the conclusion of the duel. Totally speculatory on my part.
    ROTS
    - The Jedi Interceptors having the same sound as Ties.
    - Anakin still calling Obi-Wan Master at the start of the film.
    - Anakin using Dooku's own saber to kill him.
    - Anakin helping Obi-Wan regain his grip when the window of the Invisible Hand is shattered and they are nearly sucked out.
    - The sound of Anakin's mechanical arm after his first dream.
    - Mace: "Deliver this report to the Chancellor. His reaction will give us a clue to his intentions." ... Sidious: "Then we can only hope Master Kenobi is up to the challenge!" Heh, the Jedi get outplayed here for sure.
    - Thunder during the turn scene.
    - Mace's saber flying out the window as the Jedi symbolically end.
    - Anakin weakly dropping his saber after helping kill Mace.
    - Vultures eating clonetroopers during Order 66 (the bike scene).
    - The light reflecting off Anakin's saber when he arrives in the Council room to kill the younglings. Cold.
    - The flying droid that watches Anakin and Obi-Wan duel on the pipes.
    - Padme: "Is Anakin alright?" ... Anakin: "Is she alright?"
    ANH
    - Leia silently hiding the plans in R2.
    - C3PO: Are you sure this thing is safe? R2: "Beep" C3PO: "Oh."
    - Jawas watching R2.
    - Vader standing saber ignited, ready to face Obi-Wan.
    - Obi-Wan distracting the troopers with a tap sound.
    - The "mouse" droid running from Chewie.
    - Vader checking Obi-Wan's coat after killing him, clueless as to where he went.

That's all I can be bothered to for now.

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Luke playing with a Skyhopper before he says, "Oh Biggs is right I'm never gonna get outta here!"

Kenneth Morgan and minnishe like this.
  6. Darth Nerdling

Mar 20, 2013
    I never knew this, but this makes perfect sense. The Naboo think they've won, but really, by getting elected Chancellor, Palpatine has won too. So looking at the scene with hindsight (which would sort of be like seeing it in reverese), we would see that the celebration theme is really the Emperor's theme too, and that there's a hidden evil in the victory.

7. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    I always get a kick outta 3PO telling Luke that he's never good at telling stories(in Ep 4), but then in Ep 6, he has a captive audience of Ewoks(during Threepio's Bedtime Story)

8. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Imperial cinematography.

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Check out Mark Hammill's bit of business (trying to eat the food) in ESB when Yoda is in the background in his hut on the "Not far, Yoda not far" bit. Also he finds this snake on Yoda's dinner table that he flings away in disgust and later when he's about to leave, he digs a damn snake outta the engine of his x-wing. damn snake was haunting him the whole freakin' movie!

10. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    The sound effects. They are uniquely Star Wars. The Tie Fighters, the lightsabers. They just created this world of sound that is really not like anything else

And I find that that has been true of all six movies. A great example of it was those sonic weapons in AOTC.

A character moment is in TPM. There are a lot of things in that movie I do not care for, but as far as small moments I do really like the Jedi testing scene, where they test a young Anakin and question him about his fear, and he glares at them with that death stare when he is declined the offer of training. That scene might be the best in the movie, and one of the best in the PT.

It's one of the times I actually believe that Anakin is the same person who becomes Vader.

11. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    I always liked seeing Vader holding a green saber. Cool scene.

minnishe and darth ladnar like this.
  12. Darth Nerdling

Mar 20, 2013
    I remember another. When Qui-Gon is trapped between the energy fields during his duel with Maul, then he pauses, goes to one knee, and meditates. At the same time, Maul paces back and forth angrily. Great contrast between the basis of the Jedi and Sith philosophies.

13. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006
    ESB: A star Destroyer's bridge gets smashed by an asteroid,in the next scene one of the holograms Vader is talking to throws his arms up then blinks out.
    ROTJ: The bearded rebel commando that puts own his weapon and shrugs off his rucksack while looking at the captured scout trooper. He can then be seen briefly taking the biker scouts place on guard at the bunker's entrance as the rebels move in.

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The Ewoks blinking their eyes.

No.

DowClimber likes this.
  15. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    When 3PO is telling R2 off for not showing Luke the message and R2 beeps 'do you like me' and 3PO responds with 'no I don't like you either'....very funny

DowClimber and darth ladnar like this.
  16. DarthRelaxus

DarthRelaxus Chosen One star 5

Apr 23, 2007
    Someone's gotta say it.

When Han shot first.

17. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    The potato asteroid

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  18. Darth Nerdling

Mar 20, 2013
    Are you sure this counts as just a little detail! :)

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The space slug had nice teeth.

CoolyFett likes this.
  20. DarthRelaxus

DarthRelaxus Chosen One star 5

Apr 23, 2007
    Pretty sure.

21. Tornado Wrangler

Tornado Wrangler Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 22, 2013
    A New Hope: The Jawa's reaction when Owen says "What are you trying to push on us?!"
    Empire Strikes Back: The toolbox falls onto Han while he's making repairs.
    Return of the Jedi: Han says "Then we'll do it real quiet-like."

22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Missed that gag for over a decade because I had always seen ESB on pan & scan VHS. First time it popped out at me was seeing the SE in 97! Then widescreen VHS release after that.

That is genius, the Jawa literally says "WHAT?!" (basically. Hell, maybe he actually does. sure sounds like that to me to at least really damn close to what a Jawa saying "WHAT?" would sound like)

23. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    I like the first and third items on your list.

Some of my other favorites:

--the look on Padme's face when she lands on Mustafar (as you can see from my Avatar!) and how she pauses for a moment before leaving the ship

--the tear that Anakin sheds on Mustafar

--the sad way the little Youngling flinches when Anakin ignites his lightsaber

--the reaction Leia has in Ep 5 after she tells Han that being held by him "isn't quite enough to get me excited" and Han replies "sorry, but that's all I have time for right now."

24. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    -Darth Maul's snarl during the Duel of the Fates

25. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I like the contrast of Jinn meditating as he waits for that shield thing to drop, and Maul pacing back and forth like a predator.