main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What do you consider the most heroic death in the Star Wars Universe?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by wookieworth, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Chewbacca I was very sad when I read his death in Vector Prime.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    And it gets worse. According to X-Wing: Wedge's Gamble (p321), most of the Needa family were "disappeared" immediately afterward- with Virar Needa, a cousin once removed, being an exception.

3. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    My choices, in no particular order:

Chewbacca- It's hard to imagine any other death for the big guy anymore. It's so perfect, and true to the character. Chewie was larger than life, and loyal to a fault. In sacrificing himself to save a few lives, including his best friend's son, he saved his best friend, fulfilled his life debt, but was he content to just go quietly?

Heck no, this is CHEWBACCA we're talking about. I imagine him basically roaring obscenities at the moon, challenging it to do its worst, defiant to the end.
    It took a freaking moon to kill him. That's saying something!

Anakin Skywalker- This one has probably had more of an impact on me than any of the others, and is probably my favorite heroic death of all time. I love believing in the innate goodness of people that, while sometimes overshadowed by our capacity to do wrong, always remained. I love being able to hope, and you don't get much more of a hopeful message than Darth Vader, one of the most iconic villains ever, throwing everything away- his own self-loathing and feelings of guilt, his own rage, not even caring what happens afterwards, just throwing it all away to do one last good deed. Always brings a tear to my eye.

Ganner Rhysode- I mean, what more is there to say about this one? XD

Obi-Wan Kenobi- Probably second only to Anakin Skywalker's, or possibly tied; I waffle on this all the time. This one shaped Luke for the rest of his life. The selflessness, the continuing to try to reach to his old student despite all evidence to the contrary, and the way he realizes that the only way to win, was to change the playing field. In order to let Luke escape, he knew he had to distract Vader. And what better way to distract him than delivering one final lesson to his fallen student?

Lorth Needa- perhaps my favorite non-Vader/Anakin or Palpatine Imperial death. The dude had major nerves of steel trying to take responsibility the way he did. But everyone else said this better, so....

And finally, FORGIVE ME FOR THIS EXY!

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Arvel_Crynyd
    This dude.

Okay, you're flying a fighter in the biggest furball since the Battle of Coruscant in the Clone Wars. This is it, either the Rebellion triumphs or it fails. Everyone's giving it their all, and all of a sudden you get shot, your figher's in flames.
    For Arvel Crynyd, his response is not simply to accept death, or panic, no, this guy is so bad[pants], he steers his doomed fighter into the Executor's bridge. His sacrifice was a huge element to the Rebel victory. With the Executor gone, the Empire lost its command ship, and the best and brightest of the Imperial starfleet along with it.

He basically took out the most brilliant soldiers and commanders of the Empire all at once, leaving second-stringers for the New Republic to deal with during the lengthy mopping up. Imagine if they actually had the prestigious kind of crew that survives serving Vader to deal with!

4. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Another extremely badass death would be Shaak Ti.

If we assume that Jabba wasn't exaggerating in RoTJ, then that means Ti basically threw herself into 1,000 years of digestive agony, for no other reason than to spite Starkiller.

Not maybe as heroic as some of the others since it didn't accomplish anything, but certainly one of the greatest demonstrations of "true grit" in a death.

5. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Also Darsha Assant had a very heroic death. She knew she couldn't beat Darth Maul but she held him off long enough to let Lorn Pavan escape. Very sad when she died as well.

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't know, but Palpatine certainly had the best last words.

"aahhhhhghghghhahhhhhhgghghghghhhhhhhaaahhhh"

Couldn't have said it better myself.

7. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    In terms of impact, form, tragedy, and overall heroism I think Anakin Solo's is at the top of the list.

8. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Kol Skywalker.

Gorefiend likes this.
  9. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Executor Sedriss' death in DE... ;)

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    He's had "famous last words" more than once.

For example:

"You think you have won? If I am annihilated, my curse will be upon Skywalker blood forever!"

11. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    "aahhhhhghghghhahhhhhhgghghghghhhhhhhaaahhhh" - Palpatine

"Very well... then I must DIE!" - Palpatiine

"Go ahead! Try any stupid tricks you want..." - Palpatiiine

"Unnh... the Corellian has killed me... I feel it... I am done... It is time... to enter the child... as I promised-- Who will you kill now, Han Solo? Your own son?" - Palpatiiiine

"You think you have won? If I am annihilated, my curse will be upon Skywalker blood FOREVER!" - Palpatine's spirit

12. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    This is my opinion as well. However, while not of the "uber epic" quality, you cannot discount Obi-Wan's death. Or Vader's for that matter.

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Obi-Wan and Vader didn't die in the EU so they don't count. Overall SW yes.

Have to add Thrawn and Ton Phanan as well to the rest of my top five favorite favorite deaths in the EU.

14. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    Bail Organa
    Biggs Darklighter
    Anakin Skywalker
    Galen Marek
    Dev Sibwarra
    Clone Commando Gregor
    Padawan Lorana Jinzler

15. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    Master Belth Alusis and the Battle of Bothawui. It's basically the "300" of Star Wars.

Also, I was moved to tears when Chewbacca didn't make it off Sernpidal.

16. BootlegVader

BootlegVader Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    Funny, I always thought his last words were "Oh, what a world! What a world!" only it didn't come out clearly as he was to busy falling down a bottomless pit.

But, of the deaths that made me the saddest it has to be Chewie.

17. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Not very original, but deaths that had left a great impression and were coincidentally quite epic, were Chewbacca and Anakin Solo. I mean, how many people get killed by a collapsing moon?!

Also, Kol(verine) is a textbook example of a heroic death. ;)

A death that I was really disappointed by was Mara Jade's. I didn't read spoilers so I was surprised in Sacrifice, but I have always imagined her going down with a big bang. It would only be suitable, considering the her life. Then the pathetic Caedus thing happened. She still died with style, but it didn't do justice to her character, imo.

18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    That's not what makes Chewie's death epic. A lot of people were killed by that same moon. What makes his particular death epic is the fact that he was in the middle of a giant freakin' windstorm and only had one, I repeat one window of opportunity to save Anakin. He knew he might not make it, and indeed, he was blown away by a fierce gale. Then he willingly faced his death, roaring in defiance to the falling moon. His death is epic because he died carrying out his life debt, protecting the most precious thing to Han without any regard for his own life or safety.

19. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    :oops:

20. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    I love Thrawn’s death because my opinion “But it was so artistically done” Was Thrawn praising the rebels in the end rather than lamenting the failure of his own plans, although it could be interpreted that way as well. It highlighted that Thrawn was a unique villain had a true understanding of his opponents.

Edit: I know Thrawn's not heroic, it's just cool though.

21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    :confused:

22. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    I missed the part where it was meant more for the EU than it was SW as a whole. That's what happens when you skip the beginning of a topic, and read only a post or two before replying.

23. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Bazel Warv...that was just awesome till the end.

Also ofcourse Anakin Solo.

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  24. Loopy777

Loopy777 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 8, 2013
    No one has mentioned the Towani family? I'm sure more than a few tears were shed for their heroic sacrifice, so that Cindel could live and go on to become an obscure cameo.

cdgodin likes this.
  25. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I feel like Anakin Solo and Chewbacca's deaths were more tragic than heroic. Ganner's death came to mind as well, but there's something about it...maybe that he's only trying to protect two people, that made it feel not quite "most heroic". So oddly enough, I'd have to go with Borsk Fey'lya taking down several thousand Vong troops with him. I would have picked Wedge Antilles' solo dogfight against the coralskippers while trying to protect a bunch of civilian ships, but then he didn't actually die.