main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void (Now the OFFICIAL, SPOILERS-ALLOWED release thread)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 26, 2012.

?

Would you read this novel

1. Yes

114 vote(s)
    89.1%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    10.9%
  1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    After everything we've seen from the EU, I'm sort of in the frame of mind -- and I hate it's come to this -- that the author has a greater influence over the overall quality of the story than whatever the plot's about. Announce a story by Stover or Luceno and I'll get excited no matter what it's about. I mean look at Stover: he was a nobody in the SW 'verse until he wrote a book about the boring Solo kid stuck on a ship with one of the smallest DP's of any SW novel. Add that to it being a sequel to the sweeping Star by Star epic.

About ten years back I probably would have been judging this Void book primarily on its purported plot. But honestly I'm more interested in what this Lebbon guy has to offer.

2. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    True, but the Je'daii seem to believe that balance is achieved through the practice of the individuals who use it. That the individuals out of balance is a dire thing. My point is that the PT Jedi do not seem to share that view. That the Force would be in balance in a galaxy with thousands of light siders and no (at least significantly powerful) dark siders. So, I guess by "no dark side", I really should have said "no dark side users", which is an idea it seems the original Je'daii would reject.

3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    "You sense only a part of the Force, Darth...." [face_whistling]

Dawud786 likes this.
  4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    That is a fair statement, since in the case of Force sensitives it signifies a risk of dark side involvement, but if we start talking about the balance of an individual, whatever that means, we're not talking about the balance of the Force, because an individual is not the Force. The balance of an individual's Force use is similarly a distinct issue.

Since you're now talking about the Force's balance, this does not seem to be an inconsistent view. Just replace "thousands of light siders" with "Je'daii". Whatever "individual balance" means - the model of using both sides as described in the Annotated Screenplays comes to mind - it can easily be something attributable to the PT Jedi or consistent with their ideals.

5. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Judging from the sample in Scoundrels I like his writing style.

EDIT: We have a sample of the book online:
    The rest is here:
    http://www.randomhouse.com/book/222...r-wars-dawn-of-the-jedi-by-tim-lebbon#excerpt

6. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    When does this novel take place?

Before the comic?

Parallel to the events of the comic?

After the comic?

I can't work it out...

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Parallel I believe.

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  8. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    neither... it is in between the first and second arc of the comics, the current running one is the second comic arc. so before those, after the first arc.

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  9. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    Anyone else thinking this might be a series? We have gotten hint that it will be.

10. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i hope so. thereis potentially lots to cover with a pretty much blank slate in this time period.

11. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    I kinda want to see the fall of the Ratakas.

12. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Must admit I'd definitely enjoy if they somehow build all this into where the plague that stripped them of the Force came from.

13. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Doesn't this book take place before the comic series?

14. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    I think this was explained a few posts ago.

15. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Yeah, I saw that, but I recall early reports were advertising the fact that it's going to serve as a prequel to the comic series. Just wondering if there's any concrete information one way or the other (I should have clarified that in my post, my apologies).

16. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
  17. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    Did we get the date for the paperback version?

18. DarthJimmer

DarthJimmer Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2013
    The closer this book gets to it's release the more stoked I get. I love this side of the spectrum and I cant wait to get answers to how certain things develop.

19. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Preview of John's ITV tie-in Insider story, from the SW Books FB page:

[​IMG]

"Eruption". [face_tee_hee]

In related news, I am eleven years old:

20. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    An eruption after plunging into the void...

No, it's not just you seeing the innuendo in this.

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  21. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    In terms of the original question, yeah I plan to read this book. Not really because I want to, as I do honestly think some things should be left completely unexplored and up to the imagination to keep an eternal sense of mystery in this far away galaxy of ours, but because I feel like I have to. This is an important part of the story, the start of everything basically. Not reading it would be missing out on a key piece of Star Wars history and that's something I can't let stand lol i'll probably have to read the comics too before this comes out. Anyone know if the comics happen before or after this? I've honestly never bothered to read up on them.

22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Damn, 90 people have voted in that poll? I didn't think that many people even knew Lit existed. :p

And DarthJenari, this is supposedly concurrent with the first comic arc.

23. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    That's the thing I miss most about being a mod -- being able to identify people's socks. Unfortunately then you also learn the sad truth that all the polls on this site are rigged.:( Damn dirty socks!

24. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Does that mean that... the L-Canon thread...
    I can't handle the truth!

25. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    I'm surprised you posted that, since it sums up almost exactly how I feel about this one. I can't decide whether it signals burnout on SW or a maturation as reader. [face_thinking]