main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub ~~EUC Jedi~~ The Guardians of Light

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by CPL_Macja, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Lol I know....wonder how many gray hairs I have added to those here...

2. BultarSwan

BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF star 10

Jul 5, 2003
    I don't get grays. :D >.> :p

3. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    Not yet anyways :p

4. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    I don't get gray hairs either. . .I go white :p

Whitelight likes this.
  5. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    Interesting, my grandmother wasn't grey she was white.

6. JacensGirl

JacensGirl Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    I'm surprised more Jedi didn't go grey more quickly than they did :p Though I guess not all of them lived that long... :(

7. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    Use the force. Correct folical imballance you can, yes. Hm. :p

JediFalcon and JacensGirl like this.
  8. JacensGirl

Apr 25, 2003
    [face_laugh]

*adds that to 'Pro' list of Force powers* :p

JediFalcon likes this.
  9. BultarSwan

BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF star 10

Jul 5, 2003
    Many jedi, with the help of the force, lived well past their times.

Mitth_Fisto and JacensGirl like this.
  10. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Yea, just look at Mark Hamill....:p

JacensGirl likes this.
  11. Padawan4687

Padawan4687 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 10, 2010
    I completely forgot how long I've been a member here! Good thin I'm too young or grey hair... :p

12. Whitelight

Whitelight Jedi Master star 4

Aug 10, 2007
    Hahah my husband isn't grey either his hair is white. What isn't is pepper through out the grey. I think its so sexy, but then I may be byst [face_blush]

Runjedirun likes this.
  13. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    I have a few grey hairs, and only decided to cover them about 6 months ago.....when they became noticeable. But at 47, I am pretty proud of that......

JacensGirl and Whitelight like this.
  14. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    47? Pfft, I can beat that.

Found my first gray/white hair at 19, and at 27 I've got a big patch of them on the right side of my head. Then again my maternal grandpa was completely white by his late 20s, but he never went bald, so I'll take it. :p

15. Padawan4687

Padawan4687 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 10, 2010
    What?! You're way too young to be getting white hair! Genetic or otherwise! :eek:

Adalia-Durron likes this.
  16. Whitelight

Whitelight Jedi Master star 4

Aug 10, 2007
    My brother had white patch of hair when he was 16, and started going bald when he was 17 so at 18 after high school, she started to shave it all have been ever since.

17. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    ....you win. XD

But yeah, I'm aware I'm too young to have white hair, but it's there, so what am I going to do, complain? I just imagine that, given I've got curly hair that sticks out everywhere... if I ever go full white my head'll look like a cloud.

18. Mitth_Fisto

Sep 29, 2005
    You wouldn't happen to be related to Steve Martin or that Leslie Nielson would you? ;)

Eh, apparently most of the people on my mum's side went white early, and on my dads gray odd hairs aren't unusual and are normally fully developed by 40s. So I'm on track genetically speaking.

19. awesomejedi

awesomejedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    Master Mitth_Fisto, here is my completed assignment.

I have your second task, as a lot of cannon has been floating about here lately I thought this might be interesting for both of us. In Episode V: Empire Strikes Back, Ole' Ben sends Luke to Yoda. Where Luke is shown a flaw and told a couple flaws. Please describe and relate the importance or even shortcomings of what and how Yoda shared that first night on Dagobah.

Like everyone else Yoda was prone to make mistakes, even while teaching. During the first night on Dagobah, when Luke first met the Jedi Master, Yoda made a few flawed assumptions. I can see at least 3 statements that Yoda made that were flawed in one way or the other. The first is seen when he says to Ben, “I cannot teach him. The boy has no patience.” The second is that Yoda assumes that because Luke is reckless, he cannot be taught. The final one is the assumption that a being can be too old for training. These are the mistakes that Yoda made while teaching Luke.

The first two incorrect assumptions Yoda makes are very similar and have to do with Luke’s un-Jedi-ness. The first incorrect assumption is that Luke absolutely cannot be trained because he is impatient. The second is the idea that a being cannot overcome their own recklessness. Impatience and recklessness are not a characteristic of Jedi. Jedi are supposed to be calm, patient, and self-controlled. The Jedi are not this way naturally, they must be taught; in the days of the old republic they were taught from infancy. Luke, however, was not taught to behave this way. He was not raised as a Jedi, but that didn’t mean he couldn’t learn. No Jedi youngling started out as a calm, serene, disciplined Jedi but they could become that way; why did Yoda expect Luke to be any different? Yoda had also seen firsthand that recklessness wouldn’t keep a Jedi from being an excellent Jedi Master, Qui-gon Jinn is the perfect example. He was often described as reckless, but was also a much admired Master. Yoda made two very similar misassumptions about Luke’s un-Jedi like behavior that would, in time, be proven incorrect.

The third and final error Yoda made dealt with the age of Jedi candidates. In the Old Jedi Order the normal age of Jedi recruits was about two to three standard years of age. The oldest was Anakin Skywalker at nine years old, but because of the Chosen One’s fall to the Dark Side it makes sense that Yoda was wary of teaching Anakin’s son, who was in his twenties at this point. Despite the Old Order’s tradition, Jedi could be trained at different ages. For instance, Leia Solo was trained when she was in her fifties, and she was an excellent Jedi. Mara Jade Skywalker was also trained later in life and she became a very prominent Master in the NJO also. The Jedi of the old Order were recruited early so they could be indoctrinated, but the result of this was that Jedi became blind to the needs of others and were too worried about philosophy half the time to do anything. The Jedi of the new order not only had their own ideas about government issues, they also had their own skill set that could be contributed such as Danni Quee’s science, Leia Solo’s diplomacy, and Luke Skywalker’s piloting.

20. JacensGirl

Apr 25, 2003
    Love your post, awesomejedi :)

I have another question (from watching The Clone Wars again :p ) - it seems as though there are certain situations where the Force could help a Jedi, but that particular Jedi does not use it. I am guessing that it is mostly to help heighten the plot of the tv show, or just an error by that individual, but aside from obvious darkside powers/actions - are there situations in which Jedi of the Old Order would have been discouraged from using the Force - or encouraged to use it only as backup? Or even the NJO (though I remember reading somewhere that they were careful to not use the Force as a crutch, especially post-vong) ?

Also, this one rhetorical... but this is a kid's show? :p (season 4 spoiler)
    Zombie witches and Darth Maul are pretty scary!!

Mitth_Fisto likes this.
  21. Sarge221

Sarge221 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 9, 2006
    If I remember correctly the part you read about not using as the Force as a crutch - at least for one specific example -, would be Mara Jade saying it to Anakin Solo in Dark Tide I: Onslaught. That scene is one of the ones that tends to pop into my head a bunch of times :p

And while most of the lack of Force use can be pretty much waved away as methods to heighten the plot in TCW, there are certainly situations that use of the Force would be discouraged. I mean there's the extreme and obvious cases like don't use the Force to let people know you're a Jedi (as was probably a big thing during Order 66 and Krayt's genocide), but you should also avoid trivializing the Force like using it to make your bed or...something. Taking a page from Onslaught here, there is more to a Jedi then being able to use the Force. During training, Jedi are also given physical training like running, climbing, and basic hand-to-hand combat. Any such physical actions can be boosted and made easier with the Force but they don't use it that way.

For the obvious reason, a Jedi learns to do these things so that they can learn their limits and, in case it does happen, still be capable even if they find themselves unable to use the FOrce. For a more subtle reason, Jedi also learn the limits of others so that they can gauge how much they need to help them. The Force shouldn't be seen as a solution to every single problem because a Jedi may think that they are the solution to every single problem. Which can lead to a Jedi dismissing the capabilities of others to the point where they may think that, in the most extreme case, normal individuals are inferior to them and should be disregarded. A Jedi will come in and impose a solution because they believe their solution is the best which, of course, will most likely not be the case.

To quote Mara Jade, "You can't hear a whisper if you're constantly shouting, and using the Force the way you do is the same as always shouting."

For an example is my character Alec. He possesses the ability known as the Shatterpoint but his use of it tends to be limited to extreme situations (to use it to win a naval battle or destroy a zappy-zap dark side crystal). Otherwise though, he keeps that ability tightly wound up due to his understanding that it is a rare but powerful ability that can easily eliminate some of the most formidable counters to a Jedi (such as lightsaber-resistant armor) or, in the case of the naval battle, completely turn the tide of an engagement. However, it is the Shatterpoint's ability to show him the weaknesses of nearly everything in creation that he is most wary of as it is a kind of awareness that could easily go over someone's head; that by seeing the weakness of any opponent, or any weapon that may be brought against him, he could easily destroy it. Fortunately, he understands that just because he can see the weaknesses of whatever may be in front of him, all he has to do is look down and he'll be able to see his own weaknesses to show that he is just as flawed as everyone else and not invincible.

And as in the most recent case, sometimes even the Shatterpoint may fail :p

22. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Awesome posts :p

23. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Jedi Master Kenobiwan Force Ghost star 6

Oct 8, 2011
    Tim Battershell: I got to need maybe a couple more weeks, Master. I've full schedules every day now because of my terminal examination. Is that okey. (Sorry for that I didn't ask it earlier, I just didn't have time.)

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Jedi Master Kenobiwan: DRL catches all of us! Hopefully it will be OK with the Grand Masters, Padawan, it is with me!

25. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Jedi Master Kenobiwan Force Ghost star 6

Oct 8, 2011
    Thank you, Master. :)

Iron_lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.