main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Let's get it on!: The Mixed Martial Arts Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by ClarkWayne, Nov 16, 2006.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Haha, I'm listening now, this is fantastic. Austin is an excellent host, and unintentionally hilarious.

Edit- [face_laugh] the best part is when he starts reading the sponsors. Holy crap this is gold, Juliet316.

Juliet316 likes this.
  2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  3. JangoMike

JangoMike Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2003
    Glad to see an MMA thread here in the JC......

Looking forward to UFC 159!!!!

Believe it or not, the most interesting fight to me is going to be Leanard Garcia VS Cody Mckenzie......is that bad????

4. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Everybody has different matches that interest them. I don't see anything bad about that.

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Garcia-Mckenzie will be a good one. Also keeping an eye on UT star St. Preux, and I think Davis-Vinny will be good (Davis made it well known he'd never heard of Magalhaes).

FOTN for me is Belcher-Bisping.

6. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm kind of looking forward to Sonnen getting his ass kicked by Jones.

7. JangoMike

Jan 13, 2003
    Im hoping that Belcher VS Bisping is FOTN....potential for it is there....

8. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    Im surprised that there is a MMA thread and there is no mention of the last Fox show.

The last show featured Josh Thomson, who was a big underdog hand down Nate Diaz his first loss ever by KO... He set it up with a brutal kick to the head and a hard right hook to Nates jaw, dropping the younger steel chinned Diaz brother to the mat... One of Josh's biggest wins in his career.

9. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    Vinny is one of the best BJJ practitioners in the world... Phil Davis is talking out his ass because every grappler knows who Vinny is.

There are only a handful of BJJ guys in the world who are on Vinnies level, Roger Gracie, Andre Galvao, Jacare, Damian Maia, Xande Ribiero, and the greatest ever Marcelo Garcia.

Here is a video of Vinny at the 2009 ADCC absolutely running through Chris Weidman, who is a freak collegiate wrestler and all around amazing grappler, Chris is also the current fighter to get a shot at Anderson Silva's Middle Weight belt... He isn't even in the same universe as Vinny is concerned.

10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Go back a page oh Caped one.

11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Preaching to the choir, man. Whereas I think Davis is and should be the favorite in the fight, Vinny is well-respected and certainly talented.

While we're on the subject, what are your thoughts on Weidman getting that title shot?

12. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I love really slick BJJ like that.

If the idiots judging MMA fights understood sumbmissions we could see more of them.

13. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    Sure ill give you some of the judging is skewed but MMA BJJ is completely different than pure BJJ..

You have to work for sub's differently when someone can punch you in the face. So most of those fancy subs will never happen in MMA due to punching.

14. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    No on else at MW has really put enough wins together in a row to get a title shot before Chris.. If you wanna give it to Bisping I wouldn't complain only cause Michael is a company man and made the company tons of money.

But other than that I don't see anyone else at MW whos in line for a title shot... Either way Anderson would crush both, Bisping or Wediman... Well see what happens when Anderson turns on the striking on Chris. It might look similar to his fight against Okami, who Silva made look like a complete rank amateur.

15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I agree. Its not an ideal situation, but Anderson has to fight somebody.

Eager to see how Rockhold does against Vitor- should he win, I'd like to see him get a crack. Whether or not Silva is in the division by that point or prepping for Georges remains to be seen. SF guys have been faring well for the most part, I'd like to think it'd be as competitive as a Silva fight could be (Chael withstanding).

16. JangoMike

Jan 13, 2003
    I never really understood the concept of "Blank" fighter deserves a shot at the title before somebody else. The way I see it, if you are the best, it doesnt matter who they put in from of you or when they are put in front of you. You either beat them and remain the best or you don't.

So with that logic, as in the case of Weidman. He may or may not deserve a title shot, but if hes the better man he will win and if hes not, he won't. Either way the best will be the man that wins at the end, regardless....

Same thing for people who choose to "wait out" their title shots. Example, Lyoto Machidas recent talk of turning down a fight with Gus to fight the Jones/Sonnen winner instead. Once again, if you are the best, it doesnt matter who they put in front of you or when.....

17. JangoMike

Jan 13, 2003
    I was so disappointed to hear what Phil Davis said...One thing I have learned from watching MMA is never underestimate your opponent...it always ends badly........

18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    The Cat Zingano entrance F/X cut out:

JangoMike likes this.
  19. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    It's not just that (kind of the textbook answer). It's that you don't get aggression points for putting your opponent in trouble when you threaten with a sub. You can throw completely ineffective strikes while moving forward and get rewarded for it; happens all the time. But completely nullify the guy on top with your BJJ and you get nothing for it. Judges basically act like you're wracking up points if you're on top and defending subs, not putting forth any offense.

The judges' ignorance on grappling is well known. Like the time Renzo Gracie was talking to a judge who knew nothing about BJJ and admitted he didn't think he needed to learn about it to judge fights.

20. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    In all combat sports there is a certain paradigm on how they choose contenders.. Now don't get me wrong there are many times guys get shots who don't deserve it but because theyre a big PPV draw they might receive one. Hence why I wouldn't complain if Bisping got a title shot, the guy hasn't put enough wins together in a row to actually deserve one but the guy has done a lot for the company and has beaten some decent names at both MW and LHW.

heels1785 likes this.
  21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    More hilarity with Nate Diaz:

And some more with Chael:

It really does not surprise me that he and CM Punk are buddies.

22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  23. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    I love the Diaz brothers warrior spirits but you can tell by listening to them theyre highly uneducated and were never taught how to be good winners or losers.

They make excuses for every fight they lose...

24. JangoMike

Jan 13, 2003
    Holy crap....Was that not the weirdest card ever????????????????

Eye pokes, broken thumb, broken toe.........

25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I went with boxing tonight (excellent Sergio Martinez fight), but from what I read on the UG, there was very little to like on this card. Kongo and Vinny apparently looked awful, and Chael's night went about as expected. Will try to catch the Bisping fight, sounds like it was alright.

Nice job St. Preux!

JangoMike likes this.