main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I'm pretty sure a Japanese subway station would at least be quieter.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Yes, and they play a different set of ****ty songs on a 40-minute loop. :p

Don't worry, your pretentious hipster image is doing just fine.

3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    You sure that's not the planar sphere of an ancient lich that's accidentally materialised in the midst of another building? Because I'm very much reminded of that particular side-quest from BGII right now.

Which reminds me.

Project Eternity tech demo thing. S'lookin goooood.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't mind them if they're quiet, clean, and civilized and we can get a corner to ourselves. That rarely happens. So most of the time I just suck it up until we move to the next spot in the evening. There are a handful of places though that I'll actually refuse to go to and bow out of the night instead, b/c they're just terrible. One of them is this local irish pub that's populated by undergrads... it's crowded, smelly, sticky, and pretty much a den of sin. Never again.

LI: why. WHY. That's what bothers me about some museums: the need to be trendy and modern and ughhh. That's why I'm glad the National Gallery separates the quality stuff from the modern stuff. It's my favorite museum in DC, though sadly it's oldest art pieces are early modern (that is, the historical time period, not the art genre) and I consequently spend the bulk of my time in the 19th century gallery, primarily the French portion (Spanish being too somber, English too staid, and Dutch past its prime).

There are a lot of independent galleries here that I need to actually go to once exams are over. And of course I need to go back to NYC and actually explore the Met -- last time I was there, for the GoT thing, I spent like 5 hrs just on the first floor of the Greco-Roman wing. Granted, that's one of its more involved wings (a lot of audio guide stuff -- briefly went through the ancient near east stuff too, and there was only a small fraction of audio tour stuff there). The audio tours at the Met are better than at other museums; they're not geared towards laypeople, but actually use terms of art.

5. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    I think the pilot ended up stuck in a wall somewhere, so you'd have to ask him.

Here, have another (this one, I've been to).

[​IMG]

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ulicus -- WHOA -- that looks sweeter than any isometric thing I've ever seen. I may have to get this after all. ...and I still need to donate for that Torment thing.

Ulicus likes this.
  7. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    And just to torment Jello a bit further... :p

[​IMG]

8. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    ugh.

I'm going to demonstrate in front of the Canadian Embassy now.

9. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Two years back I was in Vienna and we visited the two big museums there: The natural history and the art museum. The art one didn't grasp my attention that much: Thousands and thousands of paintings, most of them portraits, I felt full after the first floor. But the natural history museum was much better. Yes, half of it was rocks and bugs but there were a lot of prehistoric animals and some cool rooms full of stuffed animals. But then we got to the room I had been waiting for the most - the dinosaurs - and there was just a note on the door: "The dinosaur exhibition has been loaned to the Heureka Science Park of Helsinki, Finland for June-July". Why Wary why?

My life is not complete. Then again, I'm not scarred for life either.

At least I got in for free since I was under 19. What, why aren't kids spending time there?

Edit: Had to check why I was allowed in for free (I would have paid the normal price if they had asked)

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    NYC does have a lot of great museums, as does Boston. I've never actually been to the Met, though, even though I've been to the museum of Natural History right on the other side of the park. :p

Still, I don't care how many times I go to it, but the Museum of Science in Boston will never get old.

11. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    You want to know the strangest part?

All our museums are like that. Museum of Civilization. National Gallery. War Museum. The Science and Technology Museum looks like a cheap pizza place. The Art Gallery of Ontario looks like some sort of futuristic train station. Or the skeleton of a dead zeppelin.

12. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    The only image that ever springs to mind when I hear the word "demonstrate", now:

[​IMG]

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Last time I went to a bar was with my parents. True story. It was a really nice bar at this posh resort in the North Carolina mountains, the same one that Obama stayed in a few years ago. Huge open area, fireplace, good beer on tap.

In my 20s when I went to bars on a fairly regular basis, they were more like you all described. Some of them were worse, for some reason the beach has more dive-type bars with dirty pool tables and weird men.

Museums: I love the Smithsonian museums in DC; I'd take a week-long DC vacation just to visit those. I don't know enough about New York or Boston's museums other than the fact that Boston's children's museum is apparently pretty sweet; my kids have been with their grandparents.

I loved the museums in London, especially the British Museum and the Imperial War Museum.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    The British Museum has one of the most gorgeous facades of any museum, ever.

Lugija -- the funny thing is, I used to be so into dinosaurs as a kid. I've have killed to have been in close proximity to a natural history. Yet after three years here, I've only been to the natural history museum ONCE -- and that was because a friend wanted to see the marine mammals section of it, along with some early man stuff. Guess I just don't find the stuff as compelling as I used to -- but then again, I didn't find the Air & Space Museum nearly as amazing as I found it when I was a kid, either. Since I'm not as into planes and things as I used to be, the most interesting part of the museum to me were the exhibits on what WWI and WWII pilots carried with them on missions -- sort of a window into their lives sort of thing. I guess I'm just a lot more into history these days.

Of course, this might change soon; we have the ENTIRE museum to ourselves for a graduation reception thing... that's going to be so cool.

15. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Dinosaurs? Man, I wanted to be a paleontologist until I was 16 or so.

Then i realized that I really, really didn't want to double-major in biology and geology.

16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Bah.

17. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Never really understood the appeal of dinosaurs.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    RC, for me it was until beginning high school -- or probably middle school, actually. About the time I realized there was actual work involved :p

LI, um... they're... dinosaurs. I'm not sure how else to explain it.

RC-1991 and Todd the Jedi like this.
  19. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    You and I are no longer friends. Disloyal Imperial.

20. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    I still remember one of those old point-and-click games where you have click so many times to have the one dinosaur strip the flesh of the other's corpse and expose the bloodstained skeleton underneath.

Weren't educational games fun?

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    To actually give you an answer, LI, it was a combination of the Jurassic Park books/movies, Zoobooks, and the Dinotopia novels. Plus god knows how many dinosaur-related books, playground antics, toys, kids documentaries.... actually, hell, the biggest factor was probably the old 3D Adventures games....

edit: and Dinopark Tycoon! That was our favorite computer lab game in grade school, but we were only allowed to play it if we finished our other lessons first.

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm going to second the "because they're dinosaurs." They friggin' ruled the Earth, people.

Probably got smashed by a giant asteroid, but still...

I was an adult by the time the Jurassic Park movie came out. I don't remember popular-media dinosaurs when I was a kid, although I'm sure they were there.

23. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I actually tend to like small museums. A friend of mine's girlfriend years ago bemoaned being an art major and that there was nothing around in the Orlando area - I rattled off the names of about six different museums and she wasn't aware of a single one. (One of my favorites when I was kid - and just down the road from where I am now - is an art museum where a miniature Aztec ruin was constructed).
    Also, my early childhood memories essentially revolve around the local Science Museum, where you could sit in an actual Gemini capsule.

If you grew up in the 80s and didn't enjoy "Oregon Trail", you were dead inside.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    My friends in 1st grade liked naming every single passenger in the wagon after me and then fording every river in sight and traveling at as grueling a pace as possible with no rations or clothes in order to repeatedly kill me the quickest.

...ah, childhood! :p

25. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    "Friends"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.