main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social Hooper McFinney's RPF Bar & Grille 7.5 - "Loving the lens flare since 1977!” -!

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Penguinator, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    The entire back bench of the Avengers was unnecessary. Did Hawkeye, Captain America, or Black Widow really contribute anything irreplaceable to the team? For that matter, was Stark really that important either? The armaments in his robot suit were easily matched by SHIELD's conventional flotilla. And Banner was supposed to be as smart as he was. This "team" was almost nothing but redundancy.

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah, but Cap is good at field organization, Iron Man has non-linear flight capabilities, and Dudebro Hawkguy brings irreplaceable bow expertise to the table.

3. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Yes, I'm sure we'll all regret under-rating Hawkeye when they get teleported to the Hundred Years Wars and forced to help when Loki joins forces with the French at Agincourt, only to get sidelined as a villain again because he's actually not very effective or in control.

4. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I was thinking more that Hawkguy would be Earth's best hope were we ever invaded by aliens whose only weakness was prehistorical weaponry but, hey, that works too.

5. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Rilwen_Shadowflame Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 27, 2005
    Loki's got a weapon everyone's underestimating.

The fangirls.:p

Fangirl zerg-rush!

(Much like the rest of his weapons, this one may backfire at any moment. It is a highly unpredictable elemental force, which is why Loki will be very very carefu- ah, who am I kidding, he'll take no precautions.:p)

6. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Captain America is the leader and heart, Iron Man is the lancer and smart guy, Thor can take a punch from the Hulk, the Hulk is a Hulk, Hawkguy is able to provide awesome overwatch and act as a lancer in and of himself (HawkEYE geddit), and Black Widow....well, Joss Whedon gave her a lot to do, but mostly she talked about how her ledger was all red and figured out Loki's plan which actually wasn't really all that difficult.

So yes, the Avengers were derping hard if you compare them to their comics counterparts, but that's 616, this is the cinematic U.

7. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Which, incidentally, is Earth-199999.

8. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Black Widow was needed because bewbs. Hawkeye was needed to keep Black Widow in the team. Captain America was needed because he got one cool moment in the movie: deflecting Loki's shot that would've otherwise killed an old man, and then drawling "The last time I saw a man standing above people in Germany, we ended up disagreeing."

9. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Mar 27, 2005
    Black Widow is a very busy woman! She's got a dozen different appointments already. And most of them involved being twisted into spine-hurting poses to appeal to fanboys.[face_plain]

Saintheart likes this.
  10. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    God bless feminism for giving us strong, appropriate female icons. :D :D

[​IMG]

EDIT: Oh, wait: god bless James Cameron for giving us strong, appropriate female icons :D :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...wait.

11. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Mar 27, 2005
    I'd rather thank Tamora Pierce.
    [​IMG]

(Seriously though, as someone who encountered Tamora's work about twelve or so, people who know young girls and boys should find a way to get these books into their hands. This is the kind of thing that told me, as a young girl who really needed it, that you can fight to be who you want, that being a bit different can help you even when it feels like all it's getting you is being laughed at, and that you can be stronger than you think you are. And it managed this while being vividly entertaining fantasy.)

12. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Yeah, being inspirational and motivating is all well and good, but... James Cameron has a theme song.

13. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    But without her, we wouldn't have gotten Loki's rant about her being a mewling something-or-other. So don't hate, appreciate.

14. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I could not care less about that speech :p

15. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    If his whole goal was to take over Earth, how come he just didn't use that magic wand instead of whatever crazy plan resulted in the actual plot of Avengers?

16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Because that'd be a really boring movie, unless they did some awesome Emperor Joker style stuff.

Penguinator likes this.
  17. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    For some reason this conjured an image of Ian McDiarmid with an acid flower buttonhole, and my mind exploded from the sheer awesome. Thanks a lot. :D

18. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Sith-I-5's Paranoid Thought of the Day

It's like the Skyfall dvd spoke to my PS2 and told it to start messing around, even with discs that have previously worked on it!

Ultraviolet tv series - disc read error
    Spooks series one - disc read error.

[face_frustrated]

19. cassie5squared

cassie5squared Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 8, 2010
    If we're going for strong female icons...

[​IMG]

greyjedi125 likes this.
  20. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    And here's another one!

[​IMG]

21. Rilwen_Shadowflame

Mar 27, 2005
    There's always Major Kira Nerys. Who will take precisely none of your nonsense.:D

[​IMG]

(Seriously though, I wish I'd seen her when I was younger. I needed more characters like her when I was in high school.)

Mitth_Fisto and greyjedi125 like this.
  22. Rampani

Rampani Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2003
    Strong female role model? Got one a those right here....

[​IMG]

There ya go.

23. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Well, actually, Tex is just an AI fragment like Church is. She's Director Leonard Church's idealized memories of his long-dead love. I'm not sure if strong female role model applies, in that case. Carolina might be a better example? Not wholly certain; RvB is intentionally outrageously dysfunctional, so yeah :p

24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Whatever, folks, the best female role model is Emmy Noether. Among other things: she actually existed, it's easier to list fields of math she didn't contribute to, and an entire class of highly important set theoretic structures is named after her, because she single-handedly demonstrated how useful they were. Albert "Goddamn" Einstein, whose own GR would be impossible without her theories, referred to her as "the most significant creative mathematical genius thus far produced since the higher education of women began," which you might recognize as meaning he ranked her above all of her male contemporaries, which included David "****ing" Hilbert and Bertrand "All the logic" Russell.

And she did it all while wearing an awesome bow tie.

[​IMG]

Nobody else has got **** on her.

Saintheart likes this.
  25. Rampani

Rampani Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2003
    I bring in the crazy, super soldier AI fragment who also has the ability to be witty at times. And you, sir Ramza, bring a real life mathematician to the table...who wears a sweet bow tie.
    Bravo sir.

Sith-I-5 and Saintheart like this.