main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Change to the original trilogy

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Ahsoka_Tano_11, Apr 10, 2013.

1. BarkingFrog

BarkingFrog Jedi Master star 2

Jan 4, 2009
    Might be a weird suggestion, but I would suggest that Ian McDiarmid re-dub his lines in Return of the Jedi.

2. Ahsoka_Tano_11

Ahsoka_Tano_11 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 30, 2013
    It is interesting to see the different opinions of each person. :)

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  3. Minez01

Minez01 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 12, 2005
    Agree with you, but I reckon that's something that they shouldn't touch. I can't see any way they could actually edit that, even if they tried, without making it worse (or dodgy in the way it comes together). But yeah definitely in the same boat as you, get your act together Obi Wan. Pretty sure Qui Gon took Darth Maul for what seemed like half an hour when he was likely a similar age. Hell, Dooku took Anakin, Obi and Yoda and god knows how old he was!

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  4. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    The last change I would expect to hear about.

If anything, I would like JEJ to re-record Vader in Star Wars, but that desire is small...
    Like, the size of one midichlorian.

5. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Yeah, he should have gone out like what Boba claims in this video :p :

Seagoat likes this.
  6. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Really? Is there any reason in particular you'd like that? Just curious as to why you'd say that.

7. BarkingFrog

Jan 4, 2009
    I just think that his slower and deeper delivery in Revenge of the Sith and The Empire Strikes Back comes off as a bit more menacing. It would be interesting to see.

8. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Oh, that's definitely a hindsight observation. I wouldn't actually want to see them attempt to spruce it up much, if at all. The results are likely to look far worse (i.e. see Jabba in ANH). It just stands out, next to Empire and Jedi, which I find stunning still even in light of the PT. I think it's the only lightsaber battle that was only wow-worthy to it's original audience.

9. Artoo Detoo

Artoo Detoo Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2013
    I would've added a bit of the gun battle described in the ESB novelization, where Luke actually fires back at the stormtroopers when they fire at him when he arrives at Cloud City. In the novelization, he manages to fire off a few shots and even kill one stormtrooper, while in the movie, he just ducks from wall to wall trying to avoid the bullets.

Ahsoka_Tano_11 likes this.
  10. Tornado Wrangler

Tornado Wrangler Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 22, 2013
    I would update all the graphics on display screens in ANH. The Death Star diagram before the final attack is just horrible. It even has the superlaser crater-thing in the wrong place.

[​IMG]

11. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Nothing much, excepting returning the films to the original prints and the extension if scenes of Lash La Rue to the original uncut, as well as the trench run original extensions.

If I could go back in time I would have had GL re-write ROTJ to be a greater synthesis of the previous two films. I felt like Jedi was ANH remade, instead of its own blend.

ANH=Thesis ESB=Antithesis ROTJ=Synthesis INHO it was a repeat of the Thesis (with a Death Star and all).

12. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    Removing this from the film now would look so out of place in my opinion....the schematic looks hokey and from the 70's because the film is from the 70's haha....putting a new one in now would downplay a great piece of CGI in film history.

The problem with a lot of the 'tweaks' in the OT is that they just don't fit the theme of the films....they just look to good. To me the OT has an innocence about it and to take out all the puppets and claymation just strips that innocence away.

13. Tornado Wrangler

Apr 22, 2013
    This is original to the OT (at least I think it is). Did the rebels alliance have some advance in display technology between the battles of Yavin and Endor?
    [​IMG]

The only in-universe argument one could make was that their facilities at Yavin were ancient, but that still doesn't explain the eye being in the wrong place.

I'm not saying replace it with some photo realistic CGI, just make it look consistent with the rest of the trilogy. Or at least put the eye in the right place. That has bothered me since I was 5 years old!

14. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    The one thing that I thought was that since the file was downloaded into R2 that maybe it had to be condensed for him to transport it.

15. Tornado Wrangler

Apr 22, 2013
    Haha. Never thought of that. He probably only has 128kb of memory. ;)

Anyway, I'll agree with you that some of the "updates" feel out of place. The CGI Jabba, for example. But as I said, you can keep the 70's atari graphics, just put the eye in the right spot!

Aaronaman likes this.
  16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    There's a matter painting of the DS2 that looks the same way, in one of the books about the props of Star Wars.

I wondered if the DS2 had more than one crater- one for the weapon, one for the primary engine.

17. Chainmail_Jedi

Chainmail_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    No. The OT doesn't need any more change, it needs restoration.

18. Tornado Wrangler

Apr 22, 2013
    Ok, you might want to sit down for this (but, being as you are at a computer, you probably already are). You must have totally missed the news, but they released the ORIGINAL THEATRICAL VERSIONS on DVD!!! The restoration they so desperately need has finally come! (About 5 years ago)

Kidding aside, I've tried for years to understand why people get upset when changes are made to old movies. Now, everyone can tell from your signature that you're old school. That's cool. However, if you don't like the changes, then don't watch the altered versions. You can pretend like they don't even exist. Lucas didn't break in to people's houses and replace their copies of the original versions. He didn't sling-shot around the sun, go back in time, and change what people saw in theaters.

Star Wars isn't the Mona Lisa. There's not only one copy of it. In fact, one day in the future (hopefully in our lifetimes), Star Wars and the characters in it will be in the public domain, and anyone will be free to take it and make something new with it. Just as people do now with Shakespeare, Jules Verne, fairytales and folklore.

I personally don't like every change that was made in the special editions, but as a creative person myself, I think he should make whatever changes to them that he wants. People can like the changes or not. Why should it matter to people that like an older version that a newer version exists?

It's not that I think you're wrong for not wanting changes to be made. I just don't understand why it matters to some people so much.

19. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    He would if he could, which is kind of scary.

20. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Ehh...not quite. While they did release the originals on DVD, they did not restore them and give them a proper release. They were advertised as 'bonus material' and they ripped them directly from the laser discs. That is hardly acceptable in today's hi-def market. While some may not mind, especially if they own older TV sets or watch movies on their computers, it does make a difference for those of us trying to get the best experience possible.

To me, it all comes down to his refusal to give them a proper release and allowing both versions to exist together. Plenty of directors have released sets with multiple cuts of their films. I'm not quite sure why they can't do this with Star Wars. It would stop this debate for good since everyone would have the version they prefer, whether that be the Special Editions or the originals.

21. BarkingFrog

Jan 4, 2009
    Perhaps you missed the point of this thread.

22. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    Perhaps not. Actually, scratch "Perhaps" entirely.

Ahsoka_Tano_11 likes this.
  23. Tornado Wrangler

Apr 22, 2013
    Pretty much agree with you here. Didn't like that they completely pretended like the original versions didn't exist after the specials came out. But hey, if you want a true 70's/80's experience, find some VHS copies on ebay, grab a VCR from Goodwill for $10, and get the full effect! Alas, the way I experienced Star Wars for the first 8-10 years of my life was on tape recorded from TV, commercials and all. Is there any way I can get a copy of that now? :_|

Anyway, didn't mean to derail the thread from it's purpose, so I'll try to put it back on track.

I think this has been suggested a long time ago, but it would be neat to show Bail Organa on Alderaan before its destruction. Some sort of reaction to the Death Star arriving. Maybe trying to contact it or the Emperor or something.

HanSolo29 likes this.
  24. Ahsoka_Tano_11

Ahsoka_Tano_11 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 30, 2013
    I like you thinking