main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Question Two Newbie Questions...

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Pensivia, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Hi folks,

Just want to learn proper forum etiquette...here are my questions:

1) avoiding redundancy: I read the "forum hopping" section of the "Rules" page to learn about avoiding redundant threads. It suggested checking the "index" for forum you want to start a new thread in but noted that not all forums have forum indexes. I'm not sure if I've seen a forum index or not? Is that just the listing of recent threads for each forum? To avoid annoying people with redundancy, is it enough to just check the most recent 2-3 pages of thread titles (there are so many threads on each forum obviously we can't check them all, but I'm not sure how far back to go?) Also, if we just enter key words in the "search" box at the upper right and nothing comes up, would that probably be enough to determine whether the desired thread is redundant?

2) Do users expect posters to use standardized abbreviations for common phrases/titles (i.e., are people picky about whether you refer to Revenge of the Sith as "Ep 3" or "ROTS" or just "Sith" or "Revenge"?)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    1. In most of the film forums there are indexes. However, for forums like SWC (Star Wars Community), it's probably better to check back 5-7 pages, just to make sure. But you can always use the Search function for certain queries. Outside of those forums, it will depend on the forum in question and what the topic(s) is of the thread you want to start.

2. You don't need to use abbreviations if you don't want to. A lot of us just use them because it saves us time to type.

Hope this helps a little. [face_peace]

3. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    1. Index threads are usually made sticky ones, so you'll find them at the top of a board. If there's none, you can either check the first few pages (3-5 are enough) or you ask the mods of that board. If you're a long time user, you'll know by heard if your thread exists. :)

2. See above. :)

Hope this helps. But don't hesitate to ask, if a question is still open. Ok? :)

4. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Thanks Skiara and Jedi Gunny :)

5. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    You're welcome once more! :)

6. Master Cratos Ashplanet

Master Cratos Ashplanet Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2013
    how do you get from yongling to grand master