main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    Or, alternately, it could be another instance of Luke being humble. He has respect for the Masters that trained him, and trusts their wisdom where his own fails.

Which is how I always read it. He's wise and humble enough to know that there are those wiser than himself from which to draw advice. [face_peace]

2. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    she's not my sister :p

:D

Honestly at this point I'm expecting the popular stuff to stay in a TCW type of way and they erase the rest. It does seem like the way they'll be approaching it

Crucible might still come out as it already was set to come out next month, so it might have just bypass the freeze by a hair, Sword of the Jedi doesn't seem like it has that chance though. Although I wouldn't be surprise if the Publishers cancelled both titles.

3. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    instantdeath:
    I agree Luke is a lot more like Padme than Anakin, especially when it comes to the empathy thing. They are kind of trusting kind of to a fault and willing to see all the sides of a conflict. The biggest example of this is with Padme is how sees the Separatists even willing to secretly befriend a separatist Senator despite being enemies. Same with Luke, who often befriends his enemies. I mean just in truce of Bakura, he did it eventually with Senator Gaeriel, Thanas and Dev.

It's pretty ironic since Leia is supposed to be the diplomat.

4. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    dewback_rancher:
    That's a good point and a good way of looking at it, Dew! Luke *is* a humble guy, and I can see him doing this.

MasterSkywalker86:
    I think Crucible is supposed to come out in early July, but I agree that it probably will make it to book store shelves. I just really, REALLY hope that our boy Luke won't be permanently Force disabled in it! :(

As for Sword of the Jedi, it definitely is not yet being advertised at Amazon. When is that first book supposed to be out?

VanishingReality:
    Yes, I agree with you about that!

LOL!!! Great point!

I have always thought it would be interesting to have Luke be portrayed as a diplomat in a story. Even better, I would have liked to see what Luke would have been like as as a statesman, even CoS. Mon Mothma once said that she thought that Luke would one day be a politician; that people would need him and want him to lead them. No one ever followed up on that idea, but I actually think that Luke would have made a good statesman. He's patient, smart, resourceful, and compassionate. As you said, he also tries to look at both sides of a conflict or issue.

5. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    You are right it's set to release in July and with any luck it'll be the last book to be released til the ST sets things right. I sincerely doubt that Episode 7 will limit itself due to the stories that came before it. Especially since most movie fans of Star Wars have no idea that Luke was married or the rest of EU. Anywho I think the injury if Luke has it, is just a plot device. There should be no point in a logical sense for Denning to insist that Luke won't recover since Krayt has proven to have done so by the time of Legacy.
    I dunno if I'll even borrow it from the library at this point but I might give it a once over so I have more ammunition against Del-Rey :p ok in a more optimistic view lets see if Denning can do light stuff.

It was set for 2014, but who knows right now ? I kind of feel bad as this could have been Jaina's jumping point, I would have prefer the next gen have the series books and the original gen have solo books but too little too late now

6. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    Eh, for me, if you just blank-slate the entire EU, it'd be exactly the same as if Episode 7 got rid of, say, Return of the Jedi. I grew up on the EU. For me, it is every bit as much Star Wars as the films are. Maybe get rid of some of it (which I sadly admit is probably the minimum amount of damage we'll get), but get rid of all of it...? That's a nightmare scenario for me.

Iron_lord likes this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, actually there's nothing that says a person that has diplomatic status as Leia did has to be so! You can see her "skills" on show in her confrontation with Vader, she's definitely her father's daughter there!

Then again, the feminist view is snarling females = strong females, I disagree.

I've come across no shortage of women who could, if she pushed them to - and probably would - rip Leia to pieces easily. In some respects, society has moved on from the need for these kind of characters, some feminists like to say nothing's changed or what's happened isn't enough but here, I think a lot has changed. Why is the utter social misfit and domestic disaster that is Sarah Lund popular? She's flawed but appealing, picks her fights with care, screws up spectacularly and basically gets the audience's support. Characters like Leia, on a default level, just raise my hackles.

8. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Sorry, but that's a pretty dumb generalization of feminists. You'll find some dumb feminists just like you will find smart feminists too. Feminism itself in general is about equal rights for women and men. Men are often subject to social pressure and discrimination too.

On Leia: I think she became a diplomat mostly because she wanted to emulate her foster father. In reality she is probably much more suited for a role as military leader.

Leia has a bunch of flaws, one being that she suppresses a lot of her own emotions and that she can be overly critical and bossy, but she is also very brave, intelligent, helpful and hard-working. She doesn't need to be perfect as perfect characters are boring anyway. I like her more than Han Solo.

Nonetheless, I could see her falling to the dark side easier than I could see Luke.

9. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    I wouldn't want an entire blank slate but I more then expect it with post RotJ era stuff and onwards. I see no reason why they have to reboot the other eras though. probably the best way they can do it is if they keep popular EU stories adapt them and throw out the rest. Also I'm sorry Dew but EU has been so bad to me these recent years that my favorite books seem few and far between. I didn't like NjO, LotF was a disaster, FotJ was tedious, and even though i like DN it still has issues. The only two books I bought during the last 7 years that I enjoyed were SQ and Mindor. I have given up on buying Del-Rey books. So I'm more than willing to take the bad with the good with the ST.

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The smart version that gets no attention and little in the way of media profile? Yes.

But a lot of the time it's the dumb version I see and after watching the same idiocy for about 20 years, I'm out of patience with the bulk of its self-appointed "advocates".

11. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    But the media preys on outrageous statements. The more over the top your opinions are, the more attention you will get. It is like that for pretty much all the important topics.

Anyway, I guess we're getting off topic here.

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yes, but this happens even on the likes of the Guardian's website! It's enough to make anyone despair. And a couple of the worst offenders are indeed so-called feminists.

(Note: Guardian is a liberal, left of centre UK newspaper.)

13. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    The internet preys on outrageous statements too. ;)

But I can sympathize. I just find it sad that feminism is nowadays so derided when most of its values are still so important.

14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Frankly it infuriates that a lot of the damage tends to be self-inflicted.

15. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    I agree he doesn't let it out much - and only in private - but I'd think he'd be the kid of guy that when he's mad, you shut up and listen. This being a development form when he was younger and was nagy more often but not as 'powerfully' s to say.

Yes, I think it's a question of jow you define it.' Cos I agree that Luke's also a very humble man. But he's got a very, very strong core - and when he's young and try to define that, he'll stick his nose out and get some scratches - but when he's older, he'll fall back in himself and only lash out if you mess with somethign very close to him (like the look he gives C'baoth in TLC that gives Mara the shovers)

I can see your point - but I can see @Darth_Pevras too. It depends on to what degree you put values inot the word 'bragging'. I can see Luke bragging - but in a fun, human sort of way. Not negative as such.

I'm talking the young´, pre-ESB Luke - and while we haven't seen him really being cocky, I'd say it's because of the little screentime. I can definitely see young Luke cocky. I can even see this shine through in the older Luke - but with a self-distance, him knowing very well he's being too much. We geta very nice half-cocky moment in SQ, where Luke waits a while longer before he destroys a droideaka - just to see wwhat it can do (or somthing like taht - he explains to Mara). He gets a certain amount of self esteem, not in who he is (where he remains humble) but in what he can do. And when he's among freinds and doesn't need to play a role, I'd see him show off in a goody sort of way.

This is true - and i can see him quote his masters quite a lot. But not in the almost simple minded way it's done in some of the books o_O

Or maybe it's just me, being negative...

ok, point [face_laugh]

IF the feminist view is snarling females = strong females, then I disagree too. But I'd say it's a populistic simplification

Bought by many women, though [face_plain]

Hmm. Who could rip who, isn't just a question of fight training. I think Leia comes across as a strong woman because of some quality of independency and character that she displays. That's not the same as the new mainstream kick-ass chicks that are sported in about every movie nowadays. It's hard to put you finger on what this quality consist of, though.

As for Sarah Lund, I must admit that though living in DK since 20 years I haven't seen The Killing. I saw Lisbeth Salander last summer, though, and was severly disappointed. I think there is a tendency at the mo about celebrating radical actions and a cool surface - but while it has something to do with strength, it's far from covering. I'd say it has as little to dow ith feminism, though, but is merely a time-based product of it.

more later...

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I suppose I ought to clarify that I'm thinking of purely verbal confrontations, because actual brawling isn't exactly civilised is it?

Nonetheless, the whole area is very confused, which is why I find it so difficult to navigate. There's this weird sense men shouldn't be as emotional, yet it's seen as a natural state for women and verbal aggression and cutting comments are almost expected! [face_dunno] There's an exchange in the HBO Generation Kill where an Iraqi is verbally laying into the soldiers for something and a couple are observing it. The comment is along the lines that it's as if she thinks she's protected hence she can get away with it. If there is a societal prohibition against hitting women, then, to a degree it could be understood as a licence for verbal aggression. Ah, but wait! If you look at stuff like Horrible Histories with stories of Elizabethan women engaging in boxing matches to sort things out, then what's left to conclude? Hard to say, too confusing an area. It is perhaps guaranteed though that some media hireling will always be able to generate some sort of controversy in this area with a half-baked article or interview.

I would love to see a JJM-written Luke, but I think his take on Leia would be even more interesting. I say this because he's managed a blinder of a move with Kerra Holt, to see his skills applied to Leia would result in a unique portrait.

17. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    a Luke book written by JJM would probably go a long way to redeem EU in my eyes....at least to show they were giving the fans what they want. But it seems like a pipe dream with the current contract

18. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Nothing wrong with a little playful bragging.

But then when I am with friends or families I brag all the time myself, so who am I to ask?

19. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Interesting, as I dislike many of those tough as nails focused on the job always snappy female characters too. I think the problem with them is that they often display a lack of empathy.

Leia doesn't. With Leia you know that behind her cold exterior she really cares for her friends. She is only prissy because of how much stress she is under. Her acidic tongue is a coping mechanism.

VanishingReality likes this.
  20. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Darth_Pevra
    Solely career driven women 100% of the time plus snappy(not playful) irk me as well. I can understand the need for it when fighting for a postion in a man's world but the lack of empathy loses me. Basically when anyone obsesses over materials or positions as their sole purpose in life, they result in being cold around people or worst manipulate them to get what they want. Like I can see that being a problem with Lois Lane in the 70's-80's movies with Margot Kidder, but later incarnations fix that. For Mara Jade, I admit I had a hard time getting to understand her character til she opens up, as her job was basically her whole life. I think before I read TTT just hearing about her interactions with Luke bug me a bit. But after reading the books I grew to enjoy her character and as the perfect foil for Luke. As for Leia, I never understood how the EU basically gave Leia free reign when it came to losing her temper though

21. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    well folks, i don't think the movies are the best place to look for Luke's attitude and temperment. The NJO series might have ben lacking on action, but no other source shows a mature, but kind and humerous Luke better.

22. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    well it's understandable if Luke has adjusting to do with his temper in the OT since he's only in his late teens/early twenties

23. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    The thing regarding the EU and 'canon'... your books are still there, right? You still have them? If so, then nothing anyone else says can change that or how you feel about them. :D

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  24. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    damn right. i have them and will keep them. Everything from now on i will get on kindle

25. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    hence why Im saying NJO and onwards didn't happen at least for me :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.