main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Are you afraid of death?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Condition2SQ, Sep 28, 2012.

?

Are you afraid of death?

1. Yes

32 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. No

72 vote(s)
    69.2%
  1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    What sort of comment is that? How do you have any idea why he chose the religion he did? Are there no atheists, Jews, Muslims or Buddhists that grew up with Christian influences or in a Christian family?

2. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I'm just saying that geography is the primary reason why most people have the faiths they do. If Christianity is the one true faith like many believers say it is, they are pretty darn lucky that they won the genetic lottery to be born in the right region of the world. Otherwise they'd be condemned to hell.

3. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    I think that's why our Lord Jesus commanded us to go forth and make disciples of all nations.

4. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Which is one of the biggest violations of human rights in the world. You should believe what you want, but don't force others into it.

5. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Spreading your beliefs is a violation of human rights? I find that hard to believe.

Did Christ command us to force others? No, forced worship stinks in the nostrils of God. We are called to preach and minister to all so that all may have the chance to come to Him. If people respond to the good news great, if they don't we keep trying. But never force someone to convert.

Rainbow Knight Star likes this.
  6. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Telling people that their current belief system is wrong and they will burn forever unless they accept a new belief system IS a violation of human rights.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  7. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Nope.

If someone doesn't believe in fire and I tell them there house is on fire and they will die unless they leave have I violated human rights? If so then they need to be violated.

Rainbow Knight Star likes this.
  8. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm not afraid of dying, I'm afraid of what happens afterwards.

9. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Poor analogy. Fire is real; you can see it and its effects. Hell? Not so much.

10. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Truth be told I am a bit anxious about what happens afterwards as well. I know where I'm going and all but the idea of entering into utter perfection and the presence of the supreme being for all eternity... it's a lot to wrap your mind around.

11. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Unfortunately, religion doesn't provide you answers. It just stops you from asking questions.

Throughout history, people have used God to explain what they couldn't explain otherwise. But as we grow as a species, the amount of things we don't know keeps on shrinking. So this means that God is shrinking as well. Eventually, we will all reach the point where we've grown beyond the use of gods. I look forward to that day.

MrZAP likes this.
  12. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    So you may think. God is as big now as He was when He created this existence. He will still be long after this plane of reality ceases to be. And I for one look forward to the day he brings about the eternal kingdom and this corrupt imperfect world burns away.

13. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I do believe in a higher power, because right now it seems it's the only logical explanation for something coming from nothing, and because how humans are such a small part of the universe and had such a chance of dying off before life was established, it seems there was something that had a hand in life's creation.
    Words saying that there is an afterlife are comforting to a degree and are somewhat plausible, but in the end to me it is just hopes and predictions until the moment comes.

Timmoishere, I don't believe the idea of God/gods is shrinking, merely because the way life is, each mystery will open further mysteries. It also gives people hope when events happen that science can't prevent. Maybe our perception of a god will change, but I think it will still exist.

Sarge and GenAntilles like this.
  14. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    I'm not afraid of death, being a Christian.

What I am afraid of is dieing before I have a chance to make a difference to the world, however slight.

Sarge and GenAntilles like this.
  15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    But you already have :)

16. JangoMike

JangoMike Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2003
    I am not afraid of dying, I just get a little sad thinking about it.

17. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Already died?

18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm not afraid of death, but I am afraid of the undead.

eht13 and Juliet316 like this.
  19. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
    I'm afraid of not "having" life. Once I give up that fear, I don't think I'll fear death.

I do fear ceasing to be/the unknown. I'm a Christian, so while I believe death isn't an ultimate end...I believe it may be a change...and either way it's still terrifying due to my own shortcomings.

Sarge likes this.
  20. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    Take comfort in knowing everything in the universe dies, planets die, stars die, even the universe will cease to exist at some point, its inevitable part of life.

21. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    This is an entertaining use of "The God of the Gaps" fallacy, but it still doesn't provide the whole story ... oh, hell, I'm not starting this up.

22. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Not the undead. The dead.

[​IMG]

DarthTunick and timmoishere like this.
  23. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    WRONG! The right of any human being to base his belief system on whatever suits him or her is fundamental or unalienable. Or do you forget your avatar's motto" "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings"?

That said, stop preaching. This ain't church or temple and we all have the right to disagree with you.

Back to topic. Of course I fear death. I fear it as the big unknown it is. I fear that I might be taken too soon having not lived well enough. To leave my wife and family behind without giving the chance to say how much I love them and never see them again. I fear it because of its very inevitability and that there's nothing you can do about it.

eht13 likes this.
  24. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    As a nincompoop I look forward to being able to point and laugh at all the people roasting in hell for not being part of the correct religion after I die.

25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I fear Christian zombies, trying to convert people right before eating their brains.