main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Your Favorite Prequel Movie and Why.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by El_Machete12, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Original Oatmeal

Original Oatmeal Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    ROTS was the best because it had the most action and character development and drama. In an overall perspective, ROTS may have been better and darker than ESB and more revealing than ROTJ. The ANH still may be a better introduction film than the PM. ANH might be more kids friendly than PM. So, kids may like PM the most. The AOTC is the most romantic of the PT. The ROTS mentions Plagueis and shows epic battles which I love.

2. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    I find myself watching ROTS more than any of the others. Though AOTC still holds a special place in my heart.

3. Chainmail_Jedi

Chainmail_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    RotS. Because, Vader summed up how I felt about the entire PT towards the end of that movie.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooOOOOOOO"

Jcuk likes this.
  4. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    I do wonder though, how awesome would it have been had ROTS been Ep 1. Then we could have had suited Vader in the remaining 2. :D

And y'know, actually see Vader hunt down the Jedi he supposedly did. It would be nice to actually see Vader earn his spurs, as thus far the only Jedi we have seen Vader (presuit and post suit) actually kill on screen has been Old Ben, and he actually LET Vader kill him.

Oh well. I guess Lucas just had to show off Jar Jar. :rolleyes:

5. Chainmail_Jedi

Chainmail_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    He actually kills baby Jedi and one adult Jedi on screen in a hologram. Still doesn't earn him his spurs though, and it certainly doesn't redeem the annoying kid or the whiny-punk sociopath versions of himself.

6. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Hmm.......er....erm....

7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I might be the only one but I was never interested in seeing Darth Vader hunting down Jedi and I was totally satisfied with it just being implied by Palpatine. I certainly wouldn't have wanted it dragged over two movies and I liked that ROTS ended soon after the Anakin vs. Obi-Wan fight. That was the most important thing IMO seeing the two brothers turn on each other and watching Anakin paying the ultimate price for his choices.

lbr789 likes this.
  8. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    Honestly I too don't really care to see Vader hunting Jedi, but I do wish we had seen Vader fight in the PT. And quite frankly, Obi and Ani certainly did not look like brothers at all. Obi Wan may have said so...but it sure didn't seem that way (not to mention he said it to Vader's smoldering almost-corpse after he had chopped off his arm and legs)

9. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Revenge of the Sith for me. It has some of everything that makes Star Wars special for me - which is why it is not only my favorite SW movie, but my favorite movie of all time. Although I love AOTC and TPM also, I prefer ROTS because literally every plotline in the saga is visited in it. Also, I love lightsaber duels!

Saga Explorer and Sitara like this.
  10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Which has much more character than seeing Vader hunting Jedi for two movies. Fortunately the story of the prequels is about the fall of Anakin Skywalker, and under this premiss, that "idea" would never happen.

11. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Their relationship is one of my favorite parts of the prequels. :) It is a very complicated one but I always got the sense that they loved each other. I thought it was brilliant to have Qui-Gon as the father figure of them both and portraying Obi-Wan in TPM as sort of the jealous older brother who is antagonistic toward the younger brother at first because he's taking the father's attention away. I love that it is Qui-Gon's death that forces Obi-Wan to assume a role as mentor that he's probably not ready for. I think TPM set up their relationship really well and by the end I got the sense that Obi-Wan had accepted him. It gets much more complicated in AOTC because Anakin is growing into an accomplished Jedi and he's frustrated with the slow progress of his training and Obi-Wan doesn't like Anakin's arrogance. But even with their mutual frustration with each other they still genuinely seem to care deeply for each other IMO. To me Obi-Wan just wants to see Anakin become the Jedi he has the potential to be and Anakin just wants to make his master proud of him. By ROTS I love that their relationship has matured and they have grown into a cohesive team. Ewan totally sells Obi-Wan's sadness at Anakin's betrayal and the shame on Anakin's face at the end of the duel speaks volumes to me. Of course this is just my opinion but I was completely sold on their friendship.

Samnz and lbr789 like this.
  12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Same here. The speeder chase in AOTC alone does a lot for me in terms of revealing the brotherly bond. Anakin's superhero dive can be read as a bit of an impromptu one-upping of Obi-Wan's brash window jump, and Obi-Wan's wry "I hate it when he does that" is more brotherly leniency than fatherly rebuke concerning Anakin's extreme methods. We see both men stop at nothing to aid one another, and the great "this weapon is your life" exchange conveys the frustration evident in both men when the "fun" is interpreted by a stern reminder of the necessity to ensure the teacher/student bond isn't entirely eclipsed by the brotherly one. Classic Star Wars characterization through action, and for me every bit as effective as Luke and Han in the gun turrets.

13. Angelina Jolie

Angelina Jolie Jedi Youngling

Apr 7, 2013
    ROTS by far

Jedi General Gelderd likes this.
  14. Original Oatmeal

Original Oatmeal Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    Before seeing ROTS, I think the trailers showed Kenobi saying, "You were my brother." That just blew me away and made me want to see what was going on. I was going to a college that did not allow us to see films but I snuck into a theatre and saw it.

15. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    By going to college, do you mean "living in a country run by a dictator"? Cause that ain't no school that I'd wanna attend.:p

16. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Eh, let me think about this. :p

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    ROTS is by far my favorite. It plays like a great Greek Tragedy.

Jedi General Gelderd likes this.
  18. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    AOTC is my favorite, and I seem to be in the minority. I like AOTC for many reasons: Count Dooku (I am a big Christopher Lee fan) is a great villain. Love the look of Kamino, as that is the one CG environment that came off nicely in the PT. The Jango/Obiwan fight was very cool. Obiwan overseeing the Clones as the Empire music begins to beat is great foreshadowing to the creation of the Empire. The last 30 minutes have great action, along with the last 5 minutes when Dooku meets The Emperor. Many people complain about the love story, but I timed those scenes and they total about 10 minutes of the movie. So about 7% of the movie is cringeworthy!

Darth Eddie and Original Oatmeal like this.
  19. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Welcome to the boards, Carbon1985 !
    In the minority? Well then, you must be a long time lurker!

And if so, well, its about time you registered.
    :p

20. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The past tense can be tricky that way.

21. Tornado Wrangler

Tornado Wrangler Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 22, 2013
    I didn't think it would be, but TPM is my favorite. It's fun to watch, as long as you can stand Jar Jar and a few poodoo jokes. It was Portman's best performance. Got the feeling she really didn't want to be there by RotS. I'll take Jake Lloyd's Anakin over Hayden's. At least he has the excuse of being 8 or 9 years old.

I loved AotC when it came out. I was in college and saw it 12 times in the theaters, but it has cooled on me. RotS had some awesome moments, but had some moments I just couldn't stand.

The Phantom Menace just has something about it. As soon as Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan ignited their sabers in the poison gas and started tearing apart the ship, it had me.

Visivious Drakarn and Sitara like this.
  22. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    For me, the best movie in PT is ROTS.
    But my favorite PT movie is TPM. I just love the whole innocent look to the movie, Jar Jar and little Ani, the pod-race, young Obi-Wan, Padme, her handmaidens...
    Although the final duel is a bit gloomy, it still is the cheerest one of the saga.

23. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Mine would be ROTS followed closely by TPM. TPM because it seems like this was the movie Lucas wanted to make, his heart seemed in it more than with AOTC. Qui-Gon is one of my all-time favourite characters in any series, and like Tornado Wrangler said above I think Jake Lloyd's performance better reflected the character than Hayden's. Of course, the TPM incarnation of Anakin was far simpler to execute, the rest of the movies go for something more complex. TPM has an innocent charm with a an undertone of darker themes that I still feel is underrated.

ROTS though... I adore this film. It is the movie I most anticipated out of all the prequels, and it didn't disappoint, at least, in most areas. It is the movie that changed me from a casual viewer to a hardcore fan. I did enjoy Star Wars more than the average movie before this (seeing the OT for the first time in 97's SE, and watching all the prequels in the cinema), but ROTS just spoke to me on a new level. It just felt so final, something even ROTJ IMO didn't quite achieve. And despite saying that I love ROTJ, and it's interplay with other chapters. It certainly has a neat inverting effect and conclusion/payoff from watching all the others, episodes, particularly the new layer added specifically by ROTS. I could talk ROTS/ROTJ parallels for ages, it's such a poetic aspect of the films (a quick example... Anakin killing Dooku with Dooku's own saber, vs Luke throwing his saber away and refusing to turn. It's obvious, but holds so much weight.) Of course, the OT stands alone without the prequels, but if you let it be the same universe there was actually a lot of thought put into it.

ROTS is easily the most emotional of the six for me. The score is brilliant, it expresses what unfolds so well. It resonates, and really helps the movie become the space opera it was aspiring to be. Despite what naysayers might say, I think Obi-Wan and Anakin's friendship was established well in the third chapter of the prequels. The deleted scenes on the dvds and blurays certainly re-enforced this, and, interestingly, also added to the "friendship" Anakin had with Palpatine. But the movie really achieved this anyway IMO. The sadder scenes, such as Anakin and Padme talking about Anakin's first dream, make it so tragic when Anakin ultimately falls. Aside from some bad deliveries, the scene I feel really expresses Anakin's turn is Padme's confrontation with him on Mustafar. When we see the power Anakin has sought to save Padme and secure the galaxy has become more to him than the cause he started it for. The polar opposite of the redeeming change in Vader at the end of the OT. And subtle moments speak volumes... Anakin smiling at Padme's request that Obi-Wan could help them, Anakin opting to rule the galaxy with Padme rather than run away with her (while maybe not exactly subtle, it feels like we've lost the Anakin that earlier in the movie stated "I'm tired of all this deception, I don't care if they know we are married"), Padme slowly backing away as Anakin tells her this, etc. It's so tragic.

Something else... the way the movie is set up, although you hate Anakin for selling his soul and the atrocious things he does, you still kind of hope that it can all turn out okay. Perhaps if Obi-Wan hadn't appeared on Mustafar, Anakin would have gone Padme afterall, hard to say. There are so many moments where it could have gone differently, I think that is the essence of a good tragedy. I don't know much about film, but IMO Revenge of the Sith is just so well made. There is as much depth to it as the OT, and while flawed in dialogue and acting at moments, what it does for the other movies is amazing. It could certainly be seen as a stand-alone movie, but when added to Lucas's vision of an overall saga, it really shines. Like I already said, it feel the most final of the six films.
    So much symbolism and depth, great action mixed with real substance, I don't know why but it has something special for me.

minnishe likes this.
  24. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    Thanks for the nice welcome! :)

I honestly didn't know what the prevailing opinion was on these boards, but I figured ROTS would be the favorite since all of my friends rank ROTS as their favorite too. I guess I get mad because Clones takes a let of crap because of the love story, and I can't argue with that. As I said, if you time the love story, it is less then 10% of the movie, and there are so many great things in the movie, and its a shame they get frowned upon because of painful scenes like Anakin and Padme by the fireplace! :p

25. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Out of all the luv-bird stuff, the floating fruit was the best.

Why?

Because I would be doing things like that, all day long.