main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    But he didn't, because of us meddling kids!

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I think the last decade has seen a great deal of damage control on Wolverine. From House of M finally eliminating that awful "memory implants" BS that Larry Hama created in the 90s, to Jason Aaron showing that you can have a very good solo Wolverine book without deviating from the core character or needing to retcon every single thing about him, to Remender and Aaron giving him a new point of view to replace his old "I don't know who I am, snikt, stab" drive (basically "I need to make sure that what happened to me doesn't happen to this next generation under my care", bringing to the forefront something that his interactions with Kitty and Jubilee had already hinted).

Well, and he finally stopped appearing in every single X-Men book. He's still around, but not to the ludicrous levels he was in the 00s, when he literally was in every single X-Book plus New Avengers.

Ramza likes this.
  3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    TBH, I don't care very much for Berry as Storm. I thought the rest of the cast in the original X-Men movies were excellent, but Berry's performance as storm left me a bit cold. I kind of wished Singer had just recast the character or left Storm out of Days of Future Past rather than bring Berry back. Sorry, my opinion.

4. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    You can do a Storm Origins movie without Berry mostly anyway, since it would feature Ororo Munroe at a younger age.

5. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Yeah....nobody is going to go see a "Storm Origins" movies no matter who you cast.

Ender_Sai likes this.
  6. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Don't see why not, she is one of the major lead X-Men.

There are better female superheroes to do, but if you want female X-Men she is the most marketable one for a standalone film.
    Ask people to name members of the X-Men, most will say Storm before they mention another female member.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    If they don't do a Black Widow movie (since she's already established) then a Ms/Capt Marvel movie would be the next logical choice and the easiest to introduce (make her an Air Force officer that knows Rhodey or is a liaison to SHIELD or Stark Industries, add powers via a cosmic source [GOTG or Thor relayed] and pow- new Avengers team leader, because, hey, having a powered military team leader worked with Rogers).

And they'll manage to capitalize on the void of female superhero films before DC can even get a script for Wonder Woman.

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I want another Hulk movie dammit.

Merlin_Ambrosius69 likes this.
  9. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    And I don't think ANY X-Men besides Wolverine could drawn an audience with a solo movie.

10. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    I'd wager we won't see Ms. Marvel till phase three. Phase 2 seems focused on Thanos where I can see Phase 3 focussing on a Skrull/Kree conflict.

11. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
  12. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Can they even use Skrulls? I thought the whole point of using Chitauri was to get around not being able to use Skrulls.

13. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Well they got Dardevil back, I'd guess they are waiting to see if they can get the rights back by the time phase 3 starts.

14. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Was that really a copyright issue? I'm shocked. I thought they used the Chitauri in the movie because Millar created them for the original Ultimates, and the movies seem to follow the Ultimate line and vice versa. That is to say that the "Marvel Movie Universe" is its own that seems to mirror the Ultimate one, of which the Chitauri are part of.

Although since Guardians of the Galaxy is coming out next year, it would seem to fit right along with GA's phase 2 assessment. I could see another cameo by the Silver Surfer, along with Warlock and the other power cosmic storyline gang.

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd suggest that maybe the Chitauri are their proper name but Skrulls will become their nickname (either on Earth or amongst the cosmic characters who then disseminate the phrase to our Earthbound characters) or will be designated the name of a Chitauri sub-species that can shapeshift.

And as much as a Silver Surfer role in cosmic Marvel would be fantastic, it just isn't going to happen unless Marvel is greasing the wheels with Fox over the FF reboot. But given how the rumor of trading Galactus/SS rights for Daredevil rights extension was shot down, I doubt that is the case.

We definitely won't see her powered until Phase 3, but I wouldn't rule out a small role introducing Ms. Danvers in Avengers 2 or even in Earth-set GOTG scenes. Maybe even a seemingly-innocent exposure to some emission from the Infinity Gauntlet whose effects are not seen until later on, even.

Marvel can use the Skrull race, but Fox owns the rights to the specific Super Skrull character as part of the FF rights.

16. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  17. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    The Nova comic has introduced a Chitauri race to 616, distinct to the Skrulls and identical to the movie version.

I feel the need to point out Millar was riffing off David Icke and the reptilian shapeshifters conspiracy when he wrote Ultimates, and thus used a name already existing in UFO lore (Chitauri is a name used in one of Icke's books).

18. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    Ugh. Do you think that's the result of more Ultimate-U creep into the 616 continuity? Or rather, is it another result of Bendis's big hand over everything Marvel? Although I guess the movie versions and the Ultimate versions aren't exactly the same. But still, we have the Ultimate Chitauri, the 1610 Chitari, the movie Chitari, and now a version creeping into the standard Marvel U. Can Skulls and Chitari even exist in the same place and time?

If Marvel keeps this up, it's going to need a Crisis-level event to sort everything out...

Good information about Millar and Icke too....

19. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I think it's the result of needing a new enemy race and wanting to tie with the movie. It's Jeph Loeb's doing, after all.

20. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    Eh, but that's what the Ultimate line is for. I don't know if it's by design or it just happened that way, but the Ultimates always matched up more readily to the movies and vice versa. After all, unless I'm remembering incorrectly, the Ultimates Nick Fury was drawn using Sam Jackson as a guide long before he was cast in the movie, but because he was drawn that way, Samual L Jackson was actually cast. Ditto with Captain America's suit, and such... The Chitari were always the alternate version of the Skulls. If things like that start mixing willy nilly, they might as well just join everything together, which is my fear.

And my Bendis comment was meant to imply that he was directly involved, but Bendis always had a thing for the Ultimate U over mainstream, and he was never too worried about keeping mainstream Continuity intact anyway, but now his viewpoint has become the norm.

21. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It was more complicated than that - basically, continued use of Samuel L. Jackson's likeness in the Ultimate line was conditional upon his being cast if and when there was a movie featuring Nick Fury.

I'd say the mixing is more due to marketing synergy than anything else - the movies borrowed some stuff from Ultimates, the movies did well, those elements get incorporated into 616 to try and make things match up a little better for possible new readers. What your assessments are neglecting is the fact that the Ultimate U is basically a non-entity these days, restricted to three non-relaunched books out of tons and tons of recently revamped Now! titles. Some stuff is going to have to bleed in just to give the movie viewers something familiar as a reference point, because the odds of them even knowing WTF "Ultimate Marvel" even is are basically nil.

22. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I disagree, 44. The movies are basically 616 with some Ultimate influence, and only when they need to streamline things (for example, making Widow and Hawkeye two SHIELD agents to avoid having to introduce their very complicated 616 backstories). The main characters are mostly true to their 616 analogues. Thor is slightly arrogant and good-hearted, not an anti-globalization nut with a personality cult. Captain America is a slightly old-fashioned idealist, not a right-wing jack-booter. SHIELD is an international agency, not an American one. Tony Stark is an industrialist that had a change of heart, not an alcoholic with a brain tumor that's eventually going to kill him. Etcetera.

And Millar himself made a difference between Skrulls and Chitauri in the "President Thor" arc of Ultimate Fantastic Four, when he introduced the Super Ultimate Skrull and the Skrull leadership said the Chitauri were "mere terrorists".

Ramza likes this.
  23. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    Also isn't Sam Jackson Nick Fury also in the 616 universe now with Coulson?

24. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Nick Fury Jr, and he's just an agent of SHIELD. Nick Fury Sr. is still around.

25. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, he's technically Marcus Johnson, who conveniently learned that he was both Nick Fury's biological son and that his birth name was Nick Fury, Jr, and he joined SHIELD when Nick Fury, Sr. retired.*

*Though he's still being completely awesome in Garth Ennis' Nick Fury MAX, although I think that's technically Punisher MAX canon Nick Fury rather than proper 616 Nick Fury and... comics, everybody!

Edit: What JTS said, in other words.