main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Anakin's fall to the Dark Side

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by General Immodet, Apr 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Do you think Anakin would have fallen to the Dark Side a lot faster if he had not had an apprentice.
    Clearly, he keeps himself more under control just to give the right example to Ahsoka.
    For example, I think Anakin would have killed D'Nar if Ahsoka had not been with him (the Zygerria arc).

Thoughts!

2. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I have a feeling that Anakin may not have fallen to the dark side at all. Ahsoka has always intended to be a good Jedi and that would mean keeping her own Master from going to the dark side. In addition, while the ending of the Season 5 finale doesn't show it, I think Anakin's relationship with the Council took a nosedive after Ahsoka left the Order.

3. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Its only after the finale I have come to appreciate giving Anakin a Padawan. Ahsoka opened a window into the complex man that is Anakin. He certainly has issues with attachment and over protectiveness of those he considers close. He takes an unreasonable amount of responsibility in protecting them. Ahsoka also showed the side of Anakin we never really saw in the PT. The man Obi-wan described as a good one and a hero. Angry as Anakin is he is not stupid. He shows restraint in the finale. Anakin knew he couldn't just force his way past Commander Fox in the prison. Anakin didn't kill Barriss he knew he had to take her alive.

I think Ahsoka will absolutely contribute to Anakin's fall. It was Ahsoka's disobeying her master to go on the Citadel mission that in my opinion first caused Anakin to get upset with the council. This was furthered when Ahsoka was captured in the Padawan Lost arc and he was not allowed to go find her. Then in the S5 finale when Anakin encounters Ventress, she accused him of abandoning Ahsoka which really messed with his head. By the end of the arc when Ahsoka walks away Anakin is heart broken because he feels like he failed her in spite of the fact he literally save her life. He may not be able to search for her. If he is then Anakin my never find her. He doesn't know if his former student who is more like something between a little sister or his daughter is alive or dead. The Jedi Council pretty much ruined everything for him there. That's gonna drive him all the harder to save Padme from death.

4. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    If the council hadn't been so quick to ruin his Padawan's life, I doubt he would have been so distrustful of the council in the first place. So at least partially, Ahsoka accelerated his fall to the dark side.

5. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    The Council is the reason Ahsoka left in the first place. :p Might as well heap the blame on the Council and say that they're the ones that paved the way for Anakin's fall to the dark side; them and Palpatine.

6. Original Oatmeal

Original Oatmeal Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    Anakin would have fallen sooner without Ahsoka, unless if he spent more time with Kenobi and some of Kenobi rubbed off on him more, unless if Anakin is a bit of a rebel to go against the wishes of Kenobi. Ahsoka was more a good thing for Anakin than a bad thing.

Seerow likes this.
  7. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I have thought before that unfortunately Ahsoka, a mature and skilled Padawan, was given to Anakin to help him mature and learn to let go through her. Ahsoka at the end of the Onderon arc was mature enough to demonstrate how to let go. Perhaps when knights under good circumstances Anakin would have learned from her to left go. But like this the help Ahsoka gives Anakin stops and he takes a backward step. He'll be worse and even more protective of Padme.

8. Original Oatmeal

Original Oatmeal Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 22, 2013

Anakin would have been twice as protective of Padme had Ahsoka never been there to begin with.

9. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    There is no way in hell Sidious would let that happen. He had his eyes on him since day one

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If neither Padme nor Obi-Wan--Anakin's wife, and the man who raised him--could stop Anakin from turning, the idea that Ahsoka could save him or even stave off his fall for awhile is just bad storytelling at best.

Anakin may be more pissed off at the Council after Ahsoka left but the bigger catalyst there was what happened in the Hardeen arc, in which the Council used him and his emotional nature to catch a criminal. That had nothing to do with Ahsoka.

11. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Agreed with AnakinFan. It makes no sense that a paternal instinct is what drove him to the Dark Side. He was already a mass murdering psychopath before he met Ahsoka, despite how much people seem to forget or justify his actions.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Now I don't necessarily agree with all of that. ;). The behavior of the Tusken men, which people have also justified using "that's just the way they are" (not you necessarily, but I've seen it), upsets me a lot more than Anakin's retaliation. I understand retaliation, I don't understand torture, so I'm reluctant to call AOTC Anakin a "mass murdering psychopath," since I prefer not to understand mass murdering psychopaths.

But that's an old debate and beating a dead bantha. I'll agree with you on this: Anakin was showing signs of turning to the Dark Side before Ahsoka came into his life and continued to show signs of it afterwards. He was not any happier with the Council in TCW than he was in AOTC and while the show gave us his more cheerful side, he was not a "better Jedi" when Ahsoka was around, which the OP seems to be indicating. And thankfully not, because Ahsoka would be even more of a Mary Sue if she did a better job of keeping Anakin level-headed than either his wife or his Jedi Master could.

13. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Anakin fell to the Dark Side 31 years before Ahsoka was even invented.

14. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    It's still considered the start of his fall to darkness. Regardless of the Tusken's violent nature, thinking them nothing more than animals and massacring noncombatants out of a spiteful vendetta is not the sign of a mentally healthy individual.

15. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    I think Ahsoka ultimately ends up contributing to the problem. The council's indifferent treatment of Ahsoka disillusioned him to the Jedi even more; he had to take on more work afterward. Ultimately the Clone Wars caused Anakin ceaseless overwork and paranoia.

He was greatly attached to his comrades lost in the Clone Wars. (Among the ones I can think of in the show: Barriss, Ahsoka, almost lost R2 several times). His upset reaction was normal and human. But then he could witness the other Jedi's reaction to tragedy and loss. Just smile and not even put a band-aid on it like light-saber wielding stepford wives. Not surprisingly he resented the order.

It wasn't so much Ahsoka's fault as how the Jedi handled the Clone Wars as a whole.

16. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    I think it is a wash in the end...she may have given him a reason to hold himself in check, but his attachment to her made her leaving an even bigger blow and any gains he made from taking her on went out the window.

17. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    I still remember Filoni said we would see Tuskens inthe future. So, are they appearing the Sifo Dyas arc? He already did mention the storyline will take place on a desert planet.

18. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    That was before the cancellation, wasn't it?

19. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Yeah, I vaguely recall Filoni once said we'd see Tatoonie again (which happened anyways in the Maul arc) and Tuskin Raiders in a future Anakin arc. I'm not real optimistic that will come out in the Bonus Material. I'm going to go out on a limb and say Plo is not on Tatoonie.

20. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009

I agree with Anakin fan here. Ashoka keeping Anakin more level headed then Old Ben or Padme would have killed the show for me as it would not have been believeable

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Nope.

Sorry, George Lucas* decides what Star Wars is. Not you. If he says Anakin had a padawan, then he did. End of discussion.

(*Well, not now, I guess. But until recently, anyway.)

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Doesn't really change anything. Anakin still fell to the Dark Side 31 years before Ahsoka was invented. Doesn't mean he never had a padawan, because she did get invented.

The larger point is what sort of impact she had on his turn, if any.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  23. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I think Ahsoka took us from point A to point B in TCW filling in the blanks in Anakin's life between events of AOTC and ROTS all climaxing in Ahsoka just walking away from Anakin despite doing everything with in his power to save Ahsoka and keep her close to him. Next time he'll go beyond his power.

minnishe likes this.
  24. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    But that's exactly the problem. She didn't need saving. He did.

VanishingReality likes this.
  25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I had hoped early in the series that it would be her death that would further push him over the edge, thus adding to his need to ensure that he "would not fail again." Her walking away added to his anger at the Council, whom I'm sure he blames for it, but I don't know that it added to his fear of loss and his need to learn the "power to stop death".

TreborSabreon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.