main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What Single Movie Was The Greatest Collective Disappointment ?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Blue_Jedi33, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    When I say collective, I mean you went to a movie with your peer group, could be any age or time.
    Collectively you were excited as group to see this movie, you all wanted to like it so much.
    But when finished viewing it you were all collectively disappointed and it was 100% unanimous
    amongst the group that the movie really sucked, all were profoundly disappointed.

There is only one rule in this you had to share the experience at the same time in the theater not separately or alone or even at home and you thought collectively it sucked.

I only have one movie that fits that category because every other movie different people had different opinions some liked it but some others didn't or some were just Meh.

And it is TMP, and no I don't mean TPM
    I mean Star Trek: The Motion Picture.
    No movie going experience was such a collective failure as this movie.
    As Star Trek fans as well as Star Wars fans my friends at the time expected to see something at least a 1/4 as good as Star Wars only 2 years later in 1979, instead we got a lame story with a bald chick with no space battles.

To this day it is my worst collective movie going experience with friends and they all agreed, one of the persons with me was my brother and couple decades later we discussed how that movie was such a disappointment to us. And it never did change with time, I even re-watched it couple of times to see if my opinion had changed, nope

Since this is your opinion and your friends there can be no wrong answer.

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    The only time I can remember going with a massive group of people was to see First Contact on a field trip, and most everybody agreed coming out of that film that it was awesome.

Jensaarai1219 likes this.
  3. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    Star Trek TMP is an underrated gem.

Merlin_Ambrosius69 and Juliet316 like this.
  4. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, it'll never be the greatest Trek movie of all time, but I don't think it's the absolute horrendous mess some people seem to think it is.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  5. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    That Independence Day movie years ago with Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum. Looked forward to it, thought it might be a romp, went with a bunch of people. The temptation to burn the theater to the ground afterward was strong to say the least.

Debo likes this.
  6. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Huh. I liked that movie.

7. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    M. Night Shamwow's The Last Airbender.

Those of us who were fans of the original show were furious and thought it was horrible.

My friends who had never seen the show thought it was horrible and absolutely hilarious how mad we were.

Everyone in the audience who went to the midnight showing booed it. It is the ONLY film I have ever seen the audience boo at the end.

8. Blue_Jedi33

Aug 12, 2003
    Juliet316

Yeah First Contact is my favorite Star Trek movie of all of them, I just ask for one major awesome space battle per movie, and we got it in First Contact.
    Worf attacking with Klingon themed music as Captain of the Defiant was a great scene.
    First Contact is a great mix of story and action and has a classic villain.

One thing you have to understand about TMP; teenagers were watching it wedged in between ANH & TESB, it gets compared to those two movies maybe unfairly, but they are both space odyssey type
    movies from the same era. And when you consider some of the TV shows from the original Trek run, had more interesting and better plots. We had been watching the reruns and enjoying them, even though they weren't
    as good as Stat Wars, the strong stories and the sexy actresses(for teenage boys), gave us high hope for a movie made a decade later and with special effects like shown in Star Wars.

9. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Matrix Reloaded - It's not even in the "it's so bad it's good" category that something like Batman and Robin falls under. So much hype for a mediocre film at best. Zion, as it turns out, was better left talked about and not seen.

10. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    the star wars prequels. it's too hard to pick just one.

11. Blue_Jedi33

Aug 12, 2003
    tom
    But you must hate one more than the others, right ?

12. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yeah, i guess i would have to say the phantom menace. it successfully lowered the bar for the other two so much that it would have been impossible for them to match that level of disappointment.

Barriss_Coffee, Debo and Master_Jacen like this.
  13. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    WDNDSWITJCC

But yes. TPM.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  14. Blue_Jedi33

Aug 12, 2003
    tom
    That's kinda sad, but I understand, but to this day I still enjoy the final fight between Maul and Kenobi, regardless if the rest of the movie was poor.

Darth_Kiryan likes this.
  15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Blue_Jedi33: Well there you go. I was born in the year TMP came out in '79, and when I saw it, I had yet to actually see the full OT (I had seen bits here and there channel surfing prior to seeing the OT in High School, but nothing that would register it was SW oftentimes. Hell, I saw Spaceballs before I saw the OT. That should tell you how much of a Trekkie I was prior to seeing the OT), so I probably judged it more against the other Trek films, then anything else which if you put it up with the God film (The Final Frontier), it's not that bad as a Trek film IMO.

EDIT: I actually dislike AOTC the most out of the prequel trilogy. Ironically, it's because of the romance between Anakin and Padme. I know it has to happen for us to get to ROTS and Luke and Leia, but the dialogue is absolutely insipid and there's more chemistry between Anakin and Obi - Wan than there is Anakin and Padme in that film.

16. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    my single greatest disappointment is my son

17. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    1. You had a teacher that took you a Star Trek movie for a field trip. I kind of hate you a little. :p

2.First Contact was awesome.

Souderwan and Juliet316 like this.
  18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    :D

He was my Earth Science teacher and a Trekkie and lover of all things sci - fi (the last time I saw him was at a local convention where he was decked out in a TNG command red uniform), and it was in his classroom and via him sponsoring the Earth/Science club at school that I expanded my love of sci - fi beyond just Star Trek. It was through him in his classroom (via meetings of said E/S club) that I saw Star Wars (Ep 4) from beginning to end and fell in love with it and also reignited my interest in the Space Shuttle program (after being traumatized by the Challenger explosion when I was in kindergarten). We also got to do all kinds of stuff like plant a garden and hold a local Sci - Fi convention in the high school (I still have a Star Trek book signed by Doctor Madblood). He was a big reason why I have so many fond memories of High School (the other big reason was being in Concert Choir for four years, but that's for another thread).

And yes First Contact was indeed awesome.

19. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes. I think it was that ending, more than anything.

Now that they've re-rebooted that franchise, poor Mark Wahlberg's character is still probably in some prison cell where those ape policeman took him, and he's screaming "IT'S A MADHOUSE! A MADHOUSE!".

And I'm okay with that.

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    This, such high expectations and such a colossal failure. I still haven't been able to finish the movie.

Spider-Man 3 has to be pretty close, too.

[​IMG]

Darth_Invidious and Souderwan like this.
  21. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Spiderman 3 was totally better than Spiderman 2.

I'm totally going with The Last Airbender. I've never seen Avatar, but that certainly seemed like anyone that knew the source material was really frustrated, and people like me were just astounded that it managed to make fighting with fire and water to be boring.

22. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    In what world do you live in that Spiderman 3 was better than the single best superhero movie made in the last quarter century?

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah Spiderman 3 kind of fell flat for me. I mean even if you went in largely unspoiled (except for the offical documentaries movies show on certain networks prior to the movie opening, that often times don't tell you much anyway), you knew as soon as Harry was talking to Peter and Mary Jane in the hospital room that he was likely going to die at the end of the movie (infact I told myself as soon as he said he would die for them "you just signed your death warrent Harry"), I think two villians (three if you count the scant minutes Harry was the Goblin) were way too many for this film to support. And don't get me started on 'evil Peter's' "Staying Alive" sequence. That pretty much killed the film for me.

I mean there were a few good moments in it, but it's one of the few films I have absolutely no interest in ever seening again.

Edit: Jabba-wocky, I wouldn't go as far as to say SM2 is the greatest superhero film of all time, but it's definitely miles away better than SM3.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  24. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Of the first wave of comic book movies was Spiderman 2 the best, without a doubt, but

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Would like a word with you, :p

25. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Maybe the 1998 Godzilla. The original was the great cinema masterpiece of late Friday night monster movies. I knew plenty of people who had grown up with Godzillla. I built soooooo many godzilla models in the 3d and 4th grades. Glo in the dark godzilla. Godzilla vs King Kong. I loved Godzilla merchandise.

I was with a bunch of friends in August at the end of that 1998 summer (Godzilla came out in May) on some boardwalk at the Jersey Shore. All the stupid carnival games had prize shelves stuffed with the flopped Godzilla movie merchandise. We all commiserated about how bad the movie had been and how fast and how far Godzilla had fallen to become an unwanted carnival prize.