main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Yes, and repentance is not "forever will the dark side dominate his destiny", it is actually the opposite.

2. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    [​IMG]

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  3. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Hahaha, yes, I read that one too.

But Vader, don't you know that black makes you look slim and white makes you look fat?

4. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    It was to put Leia at ease... Vader wanted to play the jolly fat father figure and not the slim badass that blew up her homeworld. The important part was Vader thought it worked, Leia just saw Luke was happy anf Han wasnt being tortured by her father any more.:p;)

VanishingReality and Darth_Pevra like this.
  5. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Then he should dress like this:

[​IMG]

Nobody would distrust Santa!

6. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
  7. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Thats fine, but I'm looking more at what Lucas intended for the character in this discussion - that combined with how I felt when watching the films in the 80's when no RotS existed. It is easy to back track and think Yoda was a great guy, I love him in Dark Rendezvous, but none of those things are in the film or existed when my opinions were formed.

And yeah, I've checked out the RotS novel a few dozen times. But thanks for looking down your nose at me anyway.

It is very much implied, as Darth_Perva has mentioned.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  8. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Again, I disagree. How I would interpret "forever will it dominate your destiny" is that even if you were to repent, and survive the process of repentance, there would be no escaping your evil deeds. Ever. You would always be judged by them, you will always be trying to make amends for them, always striving to avoid making the same mistakes, even if the process of trying do so drives you to make a different set of mistakes (see the conversations between Luke's faction and Kyp's faction during the onset of the NJO series).

I imagine that had Anakin survived RotJ, every time he looked in the mirror, Assuming he could bear to face himself, he'd be searching his feelings, on the lookout for signs of Vader coming back. Always.

9. dewback_rancher

dewback_rancher Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2009
    In which case is it any different than a Jedi who'd never fallen striving to not fall in the first place, constantly checking themselves and avoiding any temptation that might drive them down the dark path and going too far in the opposite direction- you know, what the Jedi did in the Prequels? The dark side dominates everyone's destiny if you want to look at it that way and be depressing about it.

VanishingReality and Darth_Pevra like this.
  10. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    It seems sometimes like being a Jedi / force-user is a liability.

Non force sensitive people can get mad, and burn up with anger over something, even attack someone in anger.. But then they calm down again and everything is as was.

But it seems like if you're a force user you can't do that... if you get mad and attack someone in anger - even justified anger - along comes the Dark Side of the Force, and swallows you.

It seems kinda silly that this should be the case, but there it is.

11. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    Luke overcame that.

12. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    "dominate" is a super-strong verb. If something dominates you, it controls you imo. Just being troubled and filled with regret is not the same as being dominated by evil. If Yoda meant that the dark side would "influence" one, he should have said so. But he said "dominate".

13. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    You seem to be conflating the individual with the individual's destiny. According to dictionary.com, destiny is defined as:

something that is to happen or has happened to a particular person or thing; lot or fortune.

the predetermined, usually inevitable or irresistible, course of events.

You seem to be saying that the dark side will always dominate and the person, while I'm saying the dark side will dominate the person's course of events or lot in life. Quick example: what's the first thing that pops to mind when I say "O.J. Simpson"?

14. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

I'm old enough to say "Flying through the airport to pick up his Hertz rental car..." ;)

klooney likes this.
  15. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    How exactly is "being put on trial for crimes" the same thing as "the Dark Side" (as the entity dark side) dominating your destiny? The dark side doesn't guide Mon Mothma and other leaders of the rebellion. They are, at most, guided by the force. So if anything, it is the force controlling reformed Anakins future, not the dark side.

What other people think about OJ Vader is also not controlled by the dark side but rather by the simple fact that he has been a mass murderer. It isn't the dark side who made him a murderer but his own selfish desires to murderize so many, just like Tarkin is a murderer by choice. The dark side is a bad excuse for crimes you committed.

16. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    [face_tee_hee]

17. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    That's what happens if your greatest role model is B.B. Rodriguez. :p

18. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Murderize has been a slang word to my knowledge since 1943 due to being in the movie "Salute to the Marines"

@0:41

19. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Yeah, I thought I'd give it one more try, but we're gonna have to agree to disagree...

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  20. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Fair enough.

21. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    I agree. The rewards for being force sensitive are an extremely useful and wide variety of powers. These include light-saber techniques, incredible reflexes and intuition, better piloting/navigation, moving things from across the room, etc. A single trained Jedi Knight can easily own an army for how OP they are.

To balance it, the huge downside is that force-sensitives are not given any choice in the matter. They can't get rid of their powers, there's always the potential to be driven insane, and to make things worse, they are always expected to be fighting. They can't just 'settle down' without the Sith taking advantage of them or hunting them down.

In my opinion, the dark side in some ways is an excuse, since it influences/warps behavior to some degree and acts as a drug, but the initial choice to use it is the fault of the force-sensitive and the blame should be on them. I think it's kind of like a drunk driver hitting someone. (In Darth Sidious' case, very drunk)

Circular_Logic, Ryus and Darth_Pevra like this.
  22. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Except Destiny is normally used to refer to a series of events. "You must confront Vader, it is your destiny" - its the event that Luke has to follow through on, it something he has to do. Being judged for something you did in the past isn't really your destiny. Something dominating your destiny would be something that greatly affects and influences that series of events that make up ones life or ones lifes work. Unless Lucas is using Destiny in a different/his own way, what it means that one you start down the dark path, the dark side of the force will forever dominate your life and the events that make up your life.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  23. run_luke_run

run_luke_run Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2004
    To elaborate:

And it would seem that "starting down the dark path" is an act of succumbing to the anger and hatred, not necessarily feeling it. A Jedi can get angry (Luke), they simply need to continue to overcome it and make the right choice, instead of beheading someone.

24. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Thats what I take from when I hear Palps says GIVE into your anger. Anger is fine and normal its what you do with it.

25. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    I hope Pablo Hidalgo can give us any information about the Sequel Trilogy and it's relation to the EU in his facebook chat on friday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.