main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Is there anyone who actually likes the concept of Midi-chlorians?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Apr 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    He's no version of Jesus, and you should expect the character to have any Jesus-like behaviour, even though they share many origin elements (which nobody is arguing).

Who are you to say that he does nothing when what's on screen show and tell us the opposite?

What hasn't he shown? The midi-chlorians themselves? Why would he do that? The audience doesn't need to see everything they are told, and vice versa.

No argument at all? Expected, I guess...

So, your argument is that what happens in one scene (or more) makes all the other ones inexistent? Do I even need to explain how that argument is a fallacious one?

No, you haven't. What you have quoted are character's assumptions of Anakin becoming (not being) the most powerful Jedi. Because he had the potential to be so, but never became.

[Removed. ~Sx3]

Again, you fail to grasp the fact that Anakin has the potential to become powerful, not that he's powerful. And the movie already shows how gifted Anakin is at a very young age.

Yes, it's your opinion.

Of course it is. The same way we don't need to see Han make the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs, etc... The audience doesn't need to see everything in order to understand the characters and their relationships.

Weak argument.

Another fallacy. Even if true, since when does the majority's opinion makes it a fact?

Oh, the irony.

It has already been refuted ad nauseum, even if you ignored it.

Your posts are here for everyone to see. No need to throw your faults to others.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  2. SweetZombieJesus

SweetZombieJesus Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 12, 2013
    [Removed. ~Sx3]

3. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    SweetZombieJesus
    -I agree Obi-Wan and Anakin don't appear that friendly in AOTC, but ROTS rectified this. Have you seen the deleted scenes? The mutually understood hand signals when confronting Grievous before he kills Shak Tii, the pair imitating the Seperatist droids, Anakin and Obi discussing what R2 is saying when the comm-link breaks, etc. And a lot of lighthearted moments made it's way into the first half of the final cut, I think you are ignoring what ROTS does for their character arcs. I completely feel like there was a friendship to be lost, and this re-enforces that it is a tragedy. Again though, I mostly agree about AOTC.
    - The force still goes beyond the physical in the PT. It's debatable, but you aren't actually presented with anything that contradicts Yoda's training with Luke. And when you do, it can usually be explained by the fact that Yoda has learnt from past experience. Not as much of an inconsistency as some make it out to be. Subjective, but I don't have a problem with new information when it can be added to the original OT-established concept of the force. It was always genetic, this is actually quite important to the OT as well, and you are of course meant to watch all the movies as one before you judge. Obi-Wan and Yoda continue/introduce us to the same force as Qui-Gon in TPM. eg. (QUI-GON: "Feel, don't think. Trust your interests." = OBI-WAN :"...let go of your conscious self and act on instinct... stretch out with your feelings!") And ("But Master Yoda said I should be mindful of the future" QUI-GON: "But not at the expense of the moment." = YODA: "...the past, the future. Never his mind on where he was! What he was doing!").
    -Anakin IMO is shown as more powerful than the average Jedi. It is what he potentially could reach that make the Jedi put more emphasis on this.
    -I agree that the start of ANH was brilliant, but you aren't supposed to be rooting for the underdog in the PT. Not until the Jedi are branded traitors anyway. An important part of the setup is that the Jedi are aligned with a possibly corrupt Republic, and they are technically the dominant side to start off with. If you expect similar to the OT you are gonna be disappointed, because the Jedi are clearly the ones intimidating the Trade Federation. It is a blatant role-reversal.

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    [Removed. ~Sx3]

5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    There are many instances in mythology of children fathered by gods. Anakin didn't bring the GFFA eternal life or save them from sin.

Darth Chiznuk and Alexrd like this.
  6. Skelter

Skelter Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    I think that having a scientific reasons as to why some people can be jedis, and others can is brilliant. So I say
    Midi-chlorians are awesome!!!

7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Except for the part about freeing the slaves.

8. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    I was thinking that when I typed it. I do have an explanation that I likely got from someone else at one stage or another; perhaps this is a metaphor which refers to the end of ROTJ, where Vader frees the enslaved galaxy from the Empire (is that far-fetched?). It fits to me. Or freeing Shmi from bondage in AOTC? Like Anakin prophecised ("I will come back and free you mom, I promise") - technically he does, but too late, Shmi is no longer a slave and she dies almost straight after he finds her. Also, there is the exchange "What does your heart tell you?" "Yes. I guess." "Then we will see each other again." But I'm going off on a tangent again...

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    All right - enough sniping. I'm locking this til the forum mod can sort things out. I'll leave reopening it up to him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.