main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Should Luke be single, married, divorced, or a widower?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by newdawn12, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2009
    why thank you :D

you know I'm Sistros right? :p

kainee and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I don't like Mara either, but this is ridiculous. Arndt and Abrams are not Zahn.

3. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    no it isn't ridiculous,

if they put Mara in it in the first place shows they are catering to fans wishes instead of being creative with an original plotline of their own.

So by that logic, since some fans seem to love her Mary Sue like characteristics and it's popular in certain circles, it's not "ridiculous" to assume they'd go with it.

Besides I said "I believe" AS IN "I'm gonna state my opinion here".

4. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    There's nothing wrong with throwing a bone or two to the fans, as long as it doesn't hurt the plot.

Yes, she is a Sue, but it wouldn't be difficult to bring out her flaws. I myself have some ideas.

It is ridiculous because she is too old to play main character. She'll be a side character at best.

Ryus likes this.
  5. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    There's nothing wrong with throwing a bone or two to the fans, as long as it doesn't hurt the plot.
    ----

that's what I'm afraid of :p

I'd rather her not be in it all to be honest, lets go for a fresh new storyline, let the writers do their own thing so we can all enjoy the ride together
    or else we might get threads upon threads of "they didn't do so-and so right" or "what an abomination to Zahn" or something or other.

6. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    We'll get a billion whine threads by EU continuity fanatics (not necessary normal laid-back EU fans) anyway. Better brace ourselves for impact because 2014 will become hot!

Question is how Disney will deal with the not so hardcore fans.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Or trying to us a character they want to play with, or they felt her being featured as a side role character could be benificial to the story, or maybe she fits perfectly into a need characters role, or maybe Lucas's story treatment is some later rewrite he made that included a few EU elements (a long shot, I know), or they realize that Star Wars is also the EU and not just the movies and want to incorrporate it, or Lucas's story treatments are more plot specific and less character and in a rush to get the movie ready by summer 2015 they have no choice but to use the EU. ETC...

Yes, your comment is bordering on ridiculous believing it can figure out there motives if they use any EU... and more specificially on an EU element you dislike being speculated to be linked to a dismissive and insulting motivation. Look I get it you'd feel insulted if she's used, but we've seen countless characters reinvented from countless franchises. So I wouldnt worry about it at this stage.

Darth_Pevra and Sum-Wan like this.
  8. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    i'm so very sorry my comment is bordering on ridiculous

I will try so very hard not to be so ridiculous in the future.

9. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    You can start with that reply. After all its "Do, or Do Not. There is no try." :p;)

10. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

I [face_love] U.

Honestly, we're going to see a billion and one 'they didn't get this right' / 'where is so and so?' threads no matter what they do.

11. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    If anyone else live in California, I'll make you a $50 bet there will not be a single EU character in this, and thank God for that. Without trying to sound insulting, I think EU fans don't realize that the vast majority of SW moviegoers could care less about the EU, and I am sure those involved in the movie will be making their own characters. I am not saying that well placed characters absolutely couldn't work in any way, I am just saying as far as planting them in the ST- it ain't gonna happen. Those aren't George's characters.

kainee and JainaSoloYJK like this.
  12. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    George aint writing this, Disney is and they want a franchise that extends beyond 6 movies. Iger has made that pretty clear already when he told the story of how this sale came about. Stating he needed to know Lucas had plans beyond the 6 movies, then after being shown 3 ten page story treatments was shown the holocron of how vast Star Wars got beyong the movies. Lucas stated he sold it cause he believed Star Wars could survive him via new generations of writers, yet you believe Lucas is going to go against that mentality by killing the EU... just cause.

If Lucas planned on having warrior battle minded Jedi on his council, its very easy to make that Jedi Saba. If he planned on a Jedi who solves a murder its pretty easy to make that Jedi into Corran Horn. If Lucas planned on Luke having kids its very easy to make the mother Mara Jade. Lets face it, these characters will be in their 50/60s so will have a role no larger than Mace Windu's so wont be effecting the plot too much at all, yet could hold the key to attracting the large EU fan basis who are some of their most hard core fans. Plus with only 2 years to make the movie the EU is the perfect place to borrow ideas and characters from to get the movie made by then.

13. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Luke should be gay with a leather fetish.

14. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Disney is writing this next movie? That's news to me, I could swear they were a company that gives creative control to the studio.

Yes, I agree there can be new writers eventually, but that doesn't mean the EU writers (other than continuing to write in the EU; the EU can continue to exist outside the movies).

Somehow I don't think they need EU characters to attract the EU fanbase to see the movies (it is a small percentage anyway), nor do I think the 2 year deadline is going to be a case of "Oh, we only got 2 years, better borrow from the EU because we don't have time to write our own characters." Big time doubts on that. There has been a lot of discussion in the media about how JJ does things his own way, and alters movies a lot along the way; they talk about him not following either Lucas's story or even Arndt's screenplay very closely. Certainly, this would cast further doubt that he is going to bring in someone else's story or characters; he will do it his own way.

I wouldn't rule out that EU characters could be used in something in movies or shows at some time, but they have already said these are the ST is NEW stories; certainly the EU is not going to be in Episode 7. I know people love the EU, and want it to be a part of the ST, but wanting is not always having.

As it is, my $50 bet offer stands. :D

15. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    Agreed. I think they should do like The Clone Wars series writers did and create their own entirely original characters within the setting, but perhaps borrow some very loose ideas for races, ship designs, some cameos here and there from the EU to spice things up. Nothing integral to the story. It'd be a shame if they wrote a less quality story because they wanted to adapt the EU in it's entirety. It's a rigid continuity yet still somewhat convoluted to follow (At least for fans like myself, who are too casual to read every EU book ever)

Bob Octa and Darth_Pevra like this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'd rather they not use any EU characters at all than completely **** over the EU characters the way TCW did. "Oh, let's take a pacifist healer and have her blow up the Jedi Temple." Epic fail, TCW, epic fail.

Exception: if they took a redhead named Mara Jade and make her a loser Jedi that none of the other characters like, I'll be a very happy fan.

maychild and Garrett Atkins like this.
  17. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I already have several hundred dollars in unpaid bet debts owed to me... no need for anymore.

However its debatable how much JJ can edit Star Wars vs the writing staff, after all Star Wars follows a single G-level continuity and him editing something may effect the 2 next episodes, which may already be starting pre or production by the time he edits something. However maybe he can... who's to say. JJ wouldnt comment on this when being interviewed by Playboy.

However he did heavily research Star Trek, so its possible he could read up on the EU and like something and throw it in. Again who's to say.

Next off NEW stories in franchies contain old characters. So the NEW doesnt rule out crossover EU characters, especially if they're altered EU characters.

Now back to JJ, you really think a guy like JJ who likes movies that target large audiences would pass up the chance to give Luke a kid(s) if he could. That's a universal theme that audience can get behind, and its very easy from there to find the idea of a Jedi wife appealing (alive or dead, since either way she can be in the film). If following his trend in Star Trek Into Darkness, he kept Kirks love intrest... So speculating a reimagined Mara Jade is very easy from there.

Speculate all you want about JJ but realize he can be used against yourbelief too. Imho, a character like Mara Jade is too close to character types he likes for him not to try to fight for her in the movie. Plus LFL still has it's holocron keepers on staff he's bound to find out about Mara with a few days of him joining full time on staff... Sorry but ever see Alias, Fringe, or Lost... sorry but JJ loves Mary Sue women. Mara Jade is the queen of them in Star Wars and the vessal of possible kids for Luke. So imho her making it in is very likely.

kainee and VanishingReality like this.
  18. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    This is JJ. I bet 100 bucks he'll edit aplenty.

Good point. If he researched Trek, he will also research Wars and probably read some summaries of events.

Ugh, I guess you are right that Abrams likes Sue women. Sidney and her boring mate were almost unbearable in Alias and I only watched the show because of the bad guys. In the new Trek Uhura was made into some super-duper xenolinguist as well just like everybody else was some sort of genius. This is one detail about JJ I don't like much.

Hope he tones this tendency down for the ST. A total Mary Sue as heroine would be awful.

19. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Plenty of adults choose to not have children, so if you want to target as large an audience as possible it would make sense to have at least one "big three" member with a status other than married with children.

20. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Star Wars has always been a family saga, plus Luke's character in the movies was despertly seeking love... kids being a natural outcome of that. Chaning his character to suddenly not wanting a family would be more jarring to movie fans, akin to finding out in the PT that all Jedi where celibate (they arent but general audiences concluded it and for the most part hated it and where vical about it). Sorry but Luke's character based on the OT was seeking love and Lucas himself stated in 1988 that in the ST Luke would have a romantic interest, so unless he changed his mind here Luke's character is seeking love.

Now you do have a point that some people dont want kids, but there are Plenty of supporting cast Jedi can fill this role too. I say give these fans Kyle Katarn :p

kainee and JainaSoloYJK like this.
  21. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002
    Luke was desperately seeking love? I must have seen a different OT. Even before the sister revelation Luke's "courting" of Leia didn't really go beyond a simple crush and a bit of a macho competition with Han.

22. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Watch ANH again, watch the deleted scenes in ANH and ESB (that kissing his sister scene was a lot longer) or read the novelization... plus as Hamill has alluded to as much and teased about it even more.

Finally as previously stated Lucas said back in 88 that Luke would have a romantic interest in the ST... he wouldnt find one if he wasnt open to one.

Please dont make Luke into Obi-wan 2.0

kainee likes this.
  23. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    I disagree that kids are always the natural outcome of a character seeking love.
    When someone desperately seeks love they don't always succeed and there's still a chance they remain single no matter how hard they try.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I have watched ANH and ESB plenty of times since 1977 and 1980 and I have also read both novelizations several times. The only love that I saw Luke "desperately seeking" was that of his father. I saw nothing in either movie or either novelization along the lines of, "Damn, if I could only get a girlfriend."

And kids are not a "natural outcome" of love unless Star Wars suddenly takes place prior to the invention of birth control.

Finding out that the PT Jedi didn't marry was "jarring to movie fans"? Really? What are you basing this on? The only fans I know of who were jarred by it, were those who were upset that Obi-Wan wasn't getting laid--and TCW changed that one around. There may be a few remaining Obidala fans who are upset but there don't seem to be nearly as many of those as there were just after TPM.

I don't know the exact quote from 1988 about Luke having a romantic interest...if you'd like to post it, I'm interested. I'm not opposed to him being "open to" a romantic interest either, but I am adamantly opposed to either Mara Jade (especially as the Sue she is in the EU) or the ST becoming Days of Our Lives in Space.

I'm also not sure what's so wrong with Luke becoming "Obi-Wan 2.0." There was nothing at all wrong with Obi-Wan, in fact, he was one of the better characters in the saga.

maychild, kainee, Bob Octa and 2 others like this.
  25. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002
    Kids are often a natural outcome of young people being bored on Friday nights. Companionship is often a natural outcome of love, and in that case Luke can certainly find love without having kids.

Although I agree that if it's up to Abrams Luke will have kids and there will be a huge sappy-sentimental scene about Luke being a dear old dad. And if it's up to Lucas (who is no stranger to revision of ideas), I certainly wouldn't be surprised or offended if Luke is something other than a married father.

kainee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.