main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Should ep VII (or a VI - VII intermediate series) address the Endor Holocaust issue?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Darth Valkyrus, Apr 21, 2013.

1. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I hope to god we don't see any of the backwater planets from the previous films (yeah, that means Tatooine, too), because all they were in the OT were just hiding places and nothing more. And so Yavin, Hoth, Dagobah, Endor, etc. hold no impotance now and should have no bearing on future stories.

2. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    Please don't start with the "evil, etc Federation" nonsense, and it IS nonsense.It's the type of twisted BS that SDN's clowns spew.

The Federation is governed by a representative government, has a Constitution and a Bill of Rights, and a membership that is 100% voluntary.

(If anything, the Federation is too hands off other worlds, even when intervention would improve local conditions, thanks to the Prime Directive.)

Furthermore, the peoples of the Federation are extremely well off materially, lacking none of the necessities of life as a common birthright.

3. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    To the OP... no... this is not Star Trek.

4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    As much as I agree with this, it doesn't quite encapsulate what's so truly weird about SDN. If you look around on the site, there are actual substantive criticisms of Star Trek. I don't agree with all of them - indeed, some, like the aforementioned 1950s-esque "the Federation is evil because COMMUNISM" are frankly absurd - but they do represent an effort to argue that Star Wars is better from a literary standpoint. So the fact that they still don't just continue obsess over the "who will win" nonsense, but literally cheat in doing so, is just baffling to me.

5. anotherdemon

anotherdemon Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 29, 2013
    A passing reference to such would add a dark reality to the universe. No matter if the "good guys" win, there's always going to be bad events that go along with the actions of the good guys, no matter the best intentions they held/hold.

I see that widespread surface destruction on the forest moon from debris and radiation as an inevitable consequence of a planet killing battle station in orbit of said moon blowing up. The Rebel fleet just doesn't/didn't have the energy required to stop it from happening.

6. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    It seems like an authoritarian government to me, and I wouldn't want to live anywhere near it. I am not familiar with the "BS-spewing clowns" you mention, have watched little Star Trek considering the amount that exists (all the original cast movies, all of Voyager, some Enterprise, about three or four episodes of the original series and half an episode of The Next Generation), and the distinct impression I get is that the Federation is a militaristic authoritarian government going around the galaxy in superpowered warships and delivering speeches filled with platitudes about cooperation, freedom, equality, compassion etc.

You must therefore admit that at least one casual viewer who has had no contact with the whole "vs" subculture (or whatever the hell it is) until two days ago can independently develop the opinion that the Federation is authoritarian.

7. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    They had a party on Endor, way after the destruction of the Death Star! While I understand the argument, trying to apply physics to Star Wars is a head-to-desk task. It's irrelevant.

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Episode VII should address the actual Holocaust. That's the level of challenging, introspective social commentary people look for from their Star Wars films...

9. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    No, let's stay with the happy ending of Ep VI, it would be terrible if they said that their victory destroyed the forest moon. Also, it wouldn't fit with the Alliance's ideals I think, too big a price to pay, even if it wasn't intentional.

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Welcome to our boards. People utilize irony here a lot.

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Same principles probably apply to the end of Independence Day. An object 1/4 the mass of the moon, blowing up that close, is very much on a par with the DS2 explosion. Yet there's no hint of "they're doomed" in the way the ending's written.

12. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    Independence Day? I haven't seen that film since it arrived on VHS years ago, never liked it, but yeah, sure. Either way, trying to pull the string out of the laws of physics in a Star Wars film is absurd.

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Oh, we must be discussing Science Fiction...

14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Not Space Fantasy? ;)

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Never apply logic to SW...

16. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    I think they will keep things simple in general. Therefore, this topic will not be touched upon. However, this thread did serve to make me aware of the theory.

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    If they were to make a reference (just for a moment, in passing) I'd like it to be a reference to why it didn't happen- or just, a moment's evidence that it didn't happen- a shot of an intact Forest Moon from orbit, for example.

18. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    Don't worry, I think the little fuzzies are ok :)

19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Mostly because the EU took the approach that it didn't happen, and I like the EU.

Starkeiller likes this.
  20. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    The odd thing is, occasionally SW does pull a little hard science out of its ass when you least expect it.

Obi-Wan determining the location of the unlisted Kamino system from its gravitational perturbations of nearby stars being the one that springs to mind most readily. And that was right there in one of the live action movies.

Starkeiller likes this.