main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Should Luke be single, married, divorced, or a widower?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by newdawn12, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    You may want to see a doctor ;-)

V-2 and Ryus like this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL wut? Wash and Zoe are married, Simon gets into Kaylee in about episode 13 and it's hardly a focus then, Jayne is into himself, and Mal is sexually attracted to Inara which again shows after about 10 episodes. Firefly is hardly the romance-based story that you all are demanding for Episode VII; if it were, I would hate it. It's primarily an adventure story, which makes it good.

Also, romance takes people out of reality, often in the dumbest ways possible. It doesn't ground them, and I don't want to see Luke turn into a love-struck idiot.

As far as "how Hollywood makes its movies," I don't participate on message boards for "typical Hollywood movies" and there's a reason for that; most of them aren't worth my time. I also don't understand why you are so set on stereotypes. The "stereotypical male" and "stereotypical female" serve the same purpose as the "in-crowd" in high school: the marginalization of anyone who doesn't fit, the attempts to shun people who are "different." I have no respect for any company that toes the stereotype line. I'm willing to give Disney the benefit of the doubt here when it comes to Star Wars.

Bob Octa and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  3. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
    I find it interesting that people are upset at the idea of Luke having a love interest. Of all things! What's the deal? [​IMG]

4. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I find that concept very unappealing as it reminds me of catholic monks. I rather prefer the Jedi as knights instead of monks.
    The downfall of the OJO was partially caused by lacking understanding and insight in other people. I hope Luke learns from the mistakes of his predecessors and remains a down to earth person like in the OT.

kainee and Ryus like this.
  5. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, with all the time he spent around a lonely campfire with Sam and Gollum I refuse to believe SOMETHING didn't happen. :)

6. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    And yet it was too much for me at times. You see, I'm not so into romance as you seem to think. I only want Luke to be married, not have a whole lot of screentime devoted to his relationship. It would be a sideplot at best.

I disagree. Instead of dealing with Jedi duties 24/7 he'd also have duties to his wife and possible child and that would keep him grounded as it would be a contrast to all the cerebral Jedi stuff. I'd prefer him have a non-force sensitive as wife by the way. Not everything should be about the Übermenschen.

I'm just aware of the fact that the brain tends to stereotype and categorize everything subconsciously. Therefore, denying that stereotypes exist in my mind is illogical. Other then that I'm very much against prejudice and discrimination. But I am also against condemning people just for some unfortunate implication or other. When we speak or write sometimes the things we say don't come across as intended.

As far as Hollywood movies go you can be assured that Disney of all companies follows certain rules. Why do you think cute characters have such large eyes? It is all done to manipulate the audience.

V-2 and Ryus like this.
  7. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Since when does marriage equal romance... especially after decades of it :p

Sorry ani fan but your dealing in absolutes, and did we even watch the same Firefly? Mal and Inara where going crazy over each other through out the entire series. The romance didnt start in episode 10 [face_rofl] it just got more in sync then and less them acting like they didnt care

V-2 and Darth_Pevra like this.
  8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Again I prefer Luke to have a child to carry the Skywalker line but if he doesn't or if he isn't married then I don't think it is that big of a deal. Like I said it could just be a personal choice that he is not forcing on his Jedi Order. I think there are other ways to show that Luke's order has progressed from the old one than to give him a wife and kid(s).

kainee and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  9. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I claim it is out of character for Luke Skywalker to be celibate.

Guess we'll have to agree to disagree, then.

Ryus likes this.
  10. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Leia will also likely be a Jedi in the ST. So does that mean that she shouldn't be married to Han and have children too?

kainee, Ryus and Darth_Pevra like this.
  11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Luke's love interest will actually be named Jara Made. She will have green hair, 7 hands, and hold lightsabers with her teeth.

12. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Sounds like an Abrams nod to Star Trek and Kirks conquests [face_laugh]

13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Or really terrible fan fiction.

14. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
    lol "My name is Mara Jade and I was the Emperor's Hands"

15. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    "Emperor's Hands"? [face_sick]

kainee likes this.
  16. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I like the idea of a Skywalker heir so I'd prefer Luke to have/have had a wife. If Luke doesn't have a wife or child I'm okay with that too, but I'd want a better reason than just the "no attachment" rule. Luke has already disproven several of the old order's rules, including that one, so I don't see him feeling bound by it. If it's a personal choice then fine, just leave it for jedi to decide for themselves. That way Leia can be a jedi and still marry Han.

kainee and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  17. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2009
    I'd prefer him have a non-force sensitive as wife by the way. Not everything should be about the Übermenschen.

--------

so basically you want the Prequal Trilogy then?

As I said, it doesn't bother me one way or the other whether he's married or not.

2 things will make me happy

1. That he is happy with any choice he has made, (and if he isn't work it into the plot without it becoming a space soap opera)

2. Don't pander to people who want Mara Jade "just because she's cool"

in other words: be creative, don't try to be the OT, don't try to be the PT, don't try to be the EU, start with a fresh new storyline.

Anakinfan: she's (My GF) awesome ;) [Jobal Naberrie] just had to say it now it's done [/Jobal Naberrie] :p

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Apparently not, because if I saw Mal and Inara "going crazy" over each other (which is quite the opposite of "acting like they don't care", BTW, so I'm not sure how you're even conflating the two), I would have turned it off within half an hour of the Serenity episode.

I'm also not sure how I'm "dealing in absolutes" when I'm not the one who is saying that Luke "absolutely" must have a love interest, especially a woman.

Luke being gay, OTOH, I would like--at least until somebody with no scientific knowledge of homosexuality starts claiming that kissing his sister made him gay. :rolleyes:

I'll take that over the Mara Sue "Oh she's so strong and brave and beautiful that even her 16-year-old nephew wants her" that we get in the books.

maychild and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  19. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    We don't know yet if Leia will be a Jedi or not. If the writers want Luke to follow the old Jedi Code then perhaps Leia chose Han and a family instead. I hope the writers don't do that because I want to see Leia as a Jedi and Luke as a father. I was responding to Ryus who said Gandalf was a bad comparison because he was a Maiar and I was simply saying that if the writers wanted to they could have Luke follow the old Jedi Code which would not allow him to form attachments. That's all. :p

20. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I've never read a book featuring Mara, so I don't have an opinion on her one way or the other. I will say that if Luke is/has been married then they may use the Mara Jade name to avoid confusion and because she's popular with a segment of fans. That doesn't mean that her character won't be drastically changed, just that her name is recognizable.

Ryus likes this.
  21. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Honestly I would love it if they gave us a completely different wife if only to witness the massive flame wars that would ensue! [face_devil]

22. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I just want Luke to be married. That doesn't mean I want Episode VII to be a "romance-based story."

kainee, ChildOfWinds and Ryus like this.
  23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The echos of the silent implosion of this forum, some segments of the Lit forum and the "Beyond" segment of the Fan Fiction forum will echo all the way across the Internet. And I will thoroughly enjoy it.

I'm not anti-EU, I like the NJO novels that I've read, but excising the Mara scenes would only make them better novels. I have to speed-read through all the Luke/Mara scenes so I won't need either a fluoride rinse or brain bleach. Back to the Vong's gravitational wells and coralskippers and the bewildered New Republic getting its collective ass kicked, please and thank you.

24. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    The problem with that is the EU. Not because of canon, but because of marketing. Mara is popular and well established, and branding is important. If someone wants to get into the EU after watching the films then it makes sense for at least the names to match up even if the event details don't. I have at least a dozen friends who have never read a single Star Wars novel, but they know who Mara Jade is. It's just a simple matter of why create a new name when you already have one that's recognizable. I don't care if they use Mara or not, but if Luke has/has had a wife then it makes sense to use the name.

25. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Your ruining my dream of watching as people tear into each other over a fictional character with your common sense. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.