main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit what is the best novel to start with set after episode VI

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Aaron Dowding, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Aaron Dowding

Aaron Dowding Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2013
    hi guys need advice

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Heir to the Empire (set 5 years on) is one of the best places to start- and its sequels, Dark Force Rising and The Last Command- they're called the Thrawn trilogy. Though there are books set between RoTJ and it, they work fine read after it.

3. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Agreed. Though I found them pretty boring reads.

4. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Truce at Bakura, literally starts the day after Luke's fight with Vader and Palpy.

Heir to the Empire, 5 years later and basically kicked off the EU.

I wouldn't really recommend any other place.

5. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Heir to the Empire is the logical place, but Courtship of Princess Leia would be nice too.
    Truce at Bakura I found a little boring.

6. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Yep the Thrawn Trilogy is good. if you want to read about Luke right after the events of ROTJ, read Truce at Bakura. The only parts that are boring are the hapans.

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Hapans aren't in Truce at Bakura, they're in The Courtship of Princess Leia.

Do you mean the Bakurans?

8. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    The Truce at Bakura, The Courtship of Princess Leia, Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor and the Thrawn trilogy are all good places to start.

9. DarthApprentice

DarthApprentice Jedi Knight star 1

May 17, 2011
    Agreed, altho I would leave Shadows of Mindor for after the others.

10. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    sorry i meant bakurans. i always get them confused with his novel

11. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  12. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Don't listen to anyone who tells you to start with anything other than Heir to the Empire.

JediMara77 and instantdeath like this.
  13. Grand Admiral Crumb

Grand Admiral Crumb Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 25, 2013
    Production order, eh? What about all the books before that?

14. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    Of all the EU set after ROTJ that I have read, I had the most fun with the Dark Empire trilogy. Those aren't novels, though, so I don't know if they count for your purposes.

15. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Why not Truace at Bakura is chronologically the first novel of ROTJ. Nothing wrong with it. But the first series that ever came out in Star Wars was the Thrawn Trilogy and it may be the best. So i get it if you want to start there.

16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Truce at Bakura, X-wing 1-4, Courtship of Princess Leia, the Thrawn Trilogy, Dark Empire I, II & Empire's End, Crimson Empire I & II, I, Jedi, Darksaber, Planet of Twilight, the Hand of Thrawn Duology, Jedi Shadow, Jedi Sunrise...

... and that'll neatly round-off everything essential you need from this era, in my opinion.

17. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    I second starting with the X-Wing series.
    Courtship is also good. If you read that, you should follow up with Tatooine Ghost

18. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    As people have mentioned, the X-Wing series is REALLY good for galaxy-wide plot development information. It fills in a lot of information that other novels take for granted/establish (e.g. how Coruscant went from being the capital of the Empire to capital of the New Republic).

Taking the novels people have mentioned above, if you're trying to read things in a timeline fashion, you'd go:

1. Truce at Bakura
    2. Shadows of Mindor
    3. X-Wing novels #1-#7
    4. Courtship of Princess Leia
    5. Thrawn Trilogy
    6. X-Wing novel #8
    7. I could say X-Wing #9 here, but there are actually other stories in-between #8 and #9, I think, that I have not read so I can't really comment on them. Still, #9 is hilarious and a favorite of mine.

19. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    Planet of Twilight

hahahhahaha. planet of twilight??? You need planet of twiight!!! This is only the worst book ever written. i say ditch darksaber and planet of twilight, and instead read The New Rebellion and The Corellion trilogy. Now yes, the Corellion trilogy isn't real great, but it does have some humersous moments with Lando and Luke and Han is pretty good in it. New Rebellion was a great book. I could care less about any of the later x-wings books. once they shifted from Rogue Squadron to Wraith Squadron, i lost all interest.

20. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Darksaber and Planet of Twilight re-unifies the Empire, deals with Daala and Callista, hands power to Pellaeon, introduces the Death Seed Plague, the Throne vision, Antemeridia and the Chorios systems, all of which are key to FotJ and the overall saga. I confess it's not the best book, PoT, but it works for what it does.

The Corellian Trilogy introduces Centerpoint and Sal-Solo, both of which only become relevant in much later sources, and are explained at the time in as much detail as necessary.

The New Rebellion, for all its enjoyment factor, contributes zero to the overall arc and plot beyond 'here's another of Luke's fallen students achieving very little'.

21. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    You would be remiss to neglect the Black Fleet Crisis, although admittedly it doesn't have that much influence on the overall plot and setting.

An unfortunate turn of events, IMO, as it was A) good in its own right and B) was a Fleet Junkie's dream come true.

22. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Heir to the Empire. It was the first novel published that took place after RotJ, therefore you don't need to have read anything else to understand it.

Also, it's the best.

23. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Absolutely agreed. Even if not all are guaranteed to like it (there isn't a book written that all are guaranteed to like), I'd argue that any other answer only needlessly complicates the issue. Most people forget how big and scary the EU is to someone who has only seen the movies. When I was first starting, the fact that there was such an easy answer made it a lot easier to get into: start with the Thrawn trilogy. Very glad I did, too. Pretty much everything else written in that era is taking some cue from it.

24. Kenobi098

Kenobi098 Jedi Knight star 1

May 8, 2013
    Gorefiend, I gotta agree. As a child I had gotten the Glove of Darth Vader series and that turned me away from reading Star wars for a few years. Then When I was 12 my Grandfather got me The first X-wing novel and two of the Tales of the Jedi Tradepaperbacks when I was stuck in the house for half the summer with a broken le. and they started what has become a life long interest in the Eu.