main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Should Luke be single, married, divorced, or a widower?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by newdawn12, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    It should be about POWER!! ULTIMATE POWER!!

Doesn't the OT strongly hint that Luke and Leia are the last two force sensitives in the galaxy?
    It doesn't make sense that Luke would be lucky enough to find among the minute amount of force sensitives left in the galaxy, one that's around his age and species, and willing to date him. Kind of ridiculous odds.

kainee and Darth_Pevra like this.
  2. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    If Lukes wife has a different specialization than the force it adds variety to the cast. Good thing.

@ Pro Scoundrel
    Yes, for that reason alone it is probably going to be Mara.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  3. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2009
    I'd prefer him have a non-force sensitive as wife by the way. Not everything should be about the Übermenschen.
    ----

wasn't me who actually quoted that :p

4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Having "common sense" is often a detriment on these boards. I should learn to shut up more. :)

5. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Your absolute is your equating marriage to gushy romance. Next off it was "Our Mrs. Reynolds" (ep 7) where the love angle was the focus of the episode. However there where many scenes prior to it in earlier eps where it built up to that ep.

I admit to wanting a marriage, however I have said I'd be fine with Luke being a widower since his wifes ghost could still be featured.

kainee likes this.
  6. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    You guys stop fighting. I like both of you and you're making me cry.

kainee likes this.
  7. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    What? Before we settle on a divorce? ;):p

kainee and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I am married. My life no longer revolves around a preoccupation with teh sex.

9. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    She's also loathed and put many people OFF of the EU - however, most people who dislike her don't kevetch about her on message boards (proudly represent! LOL!) they just don't buy/read the books....

10. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    So I've noticed. :)

kainee and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  11. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I have a question for the people who don't like Mara. If she is featured as Luke's wife but her character is written very differently from her EU counterpart would you still object to them using her name? Is the name alone enough to bother you?

kainee, Ryus and Jedi_Liz like this.
  12. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    Breezy, I agree that Mara is loathed by many. I am somewhat neutral. I thought she was cool at the beginning. However, I was never a fan of how she progressed after that. I would rather see Luke a widower with only a vague mention of his wife. I am all for having Ben Skywalker in the ST.

kainee likes this.
  13. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    I am too - shouldn't mean the death of your interest in it! wockawocka

14. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

Honestly, even the name is so intrinsically attached to the character - yeah, it'd be kinda like:

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If the film uses a hot redhead with her name who is otherwise portrayed very differently--maybe a Jedi who regularly gets her ass kicked a la Obi-Wan in TCW, maybe not a Jedi but otherwise a badass, maybe she has a short temper that gets the better of her or she otherwise does stupid **** and has to pay for it somehow--I'd be OK with it. I just don't want the character who gets on my last damn nerve but the other characters worship. I don't want to hear how strong and brave she is and how much Luke loves her and how much Leia admires her and what an inspiration she is to Leia's kids. I also don't want to hear about how she is the only one who can combat a disease that kills everyone else.

However, two points: one, I suspect the Jade fans will blow up the Internet if the ST features a character that is Jade in name only, and two, given how TCW steamrolled poor Barriss Offee, I would understand their being upset, because I was there.

16. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2009
    I have a question for the people who don't like Mara. If she is featured as Luke's wife but her character is written very differently from her EU counterpart would you still object to them using her name? Is the name alone enough to bother you?
    -------------------------

imagine the **** storm that would cause

so would it bother me? kind of, again it's pandering, if you're gonna create a different character...then create a different character, name and all.

17. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Though Im a pro Mara supporter and the question wasnt directed at us I'll answer anyways. I survived Boba Fetts edits, I'd survive Mara edits in all probility. I can see many possible edits as benificial and many as detrimential, in either case as long as her core is still close enough to her EU character as Boba Fetts new past still worked with his OT character I likely wouldnt mind.

I'd survive her not being married to Luke (though I'd rage if she ended up with Lando, sorry but I hate KJA with a passion), doesnt mean I wouldnt be disappointed and wouldnt prefer a different out come where she was but Id survive (in truth I often like some aspects of a new continuity while still liking aspects of the old too, example Barriss Offee's changes didnt really bug me and I like both versions of her). I'd be totally fine with her getting less praise since even I rolled my eyes at that a few times (though honestly a few times it made sense and others it really didnt), in fact I'd view it as a benificial out come (though praise at say a Jedi Academy would work if she had more training than newer students as her EU past implies she would have gotten already, like it even more if a few characters got jelious about it instead of just praise).

I'd also be really happy if her past was darker and her road to the light was longer (and if Luke took the time to save her it could make for a great slow building romance), such as say instead of building a sugglers allience was instead interrogated for endless months by New Republic intelligence and forced to help track down the rest of the Emperors Hands and other hidden stuff he did while having to emotionally deal with now realzing just all the sins she did in the Emperors name or maybe play up how he played with her mind and free will (both could really work and show us a more vunerable side to her). Suppose I always viewed her as a characters who's had far more potential than she was given opportunity to explore. Now to explore this, I do honestly think the new upcoming animated TV show is the way to do it and I do honestly believe its set for post RotJ.

I've always been more of a character and character development lover than plot details (unless really well written, then it could swing either way). However at this moment Id still prefer Mara married to Luke and her being still alive, doesnt mean I couldnt like a new way to use her too however I just like the idea of Luke having kids and imho why bother giving Luke a new wife, it just closes the doors to other EU sales to the new market who would want to know about her (or if new continuity with her still in it at least get a deeper understanding of her character)

kainee likes this.
  18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Oh, I thought we were talking about me. I just discussed your concern with my wife... PM me and we will have you over as a coach.

19. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    I think I just lost interest in my own sexuality too. Probably had it coming.

20. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I see what you mean, and I don't want to get into an EU discussion on this thread, but mainly my point wasn't about pandering to her fans, but about consistency. If someone, after watching Ep. VII, picks up a book featuring Mara instead of "Betty Skywalker" they'd probably be like "Hey, what gives? Why is Luke's wife called Mara in this book instead of "Betty" like in the movie? Why not just call her Mara in the movie too? This is confusing." Do you see what I mean? It causes needless confusion to newer fans. That's bad business. And, if people want to read a book about "Betty Skywalker" what do they do? Do they just accept that she doesn't exist in the books? Or, if they start writing books about "Betty" do they then have two different EUs going at the same time? See? It creates a huge mess. This is why I think Luke will have a wife named Mara or no wife at all. If anyone sees a viable way around this please speak up, though we may have to move this to the EU thread.

Darth_Pevra and Ryus like this.
  21. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    They can't just drop Luke flirting with the Dark Side....Anakin was a good Jedi and he still fell, I would hope the explore Luke's torment as well

22. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Sure they can. Especially since this movie is probably not going to be about Luke. And, Anakin was a terrible Jedi, hence his fall.

kainee and Darth_Pevra like this.
  23. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Yes, because the EU version of her will still exist. Mara Sue is Mara Sue unless you kill her off in the first five minutes and she has no Force powers and does absolutely nothing other than give someone directions before she gets killed by a runaway speeder driven by a hallucinating Ewok.

Simple: the EU goes into a lower level of continuity. A new character that could be Luke's wife can be created for the movies and the new EU that is created for the new trilogy. The current EU is not God's template for the universe. It's only a marketing tool that can be utilized when necessary and altered when required.

24. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah I know, but as I said having two different EUs would be a huge mess.

25. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    It would be a huge mess to have a character named Mara Jade in the movies that doesn't match the one in the EU.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.