main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Just getting to catch up on the Sunday AM shows. Fairly bland this week, but one abysmal appearance was Mayor Villaraigosa on ABC. I know he's outgoing and I believe unpopular, but good grief..the man just came across as incompetent in roundtable discussion, even on his wheelhouse issue of immigration. Can't imagine him running the country's second largest city.

DarthTunick likes this.
  2. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Define "run." Firsthand it seemed more like "standing around while stuff happened".

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Haha. Well, the only real national exposure I can remember was during the Dorner manhunt, and there were numerous misstatements coming straight from sources within his office. That's pretty elementary, keeping the lid tight on your own people.

I take it that you won't be sad to see him go. The last approval rating I can find of him is 55%, in his re-election year- I'd imagine it's steadily dropped.

4. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    In which Lamar Smith and the Hose Science Committee show they have a terrible understanding of how science works.

Here's their proposed criteria for NSF funding of science.
    1) “…in the interests of the United States to advance the national health, prosperity, or welfare, and to secure the national defense by promoting the progress of science;
    2) “… the finest quality, is groundbreaking, and answers questions or solves problems that are of utmost importance to society at large; and
    3) “…not duplicative of other research projects being funded by the Foundation or other Federal science agencies.”

1) Someone needs to show these people that a good portion of modern science has no current application. In fact, many of the most useful scientific findings were curiosity driven. Basing funding only on what has the most application will severly cripple the future of scientific research in this country.

2) How does he think scientists determine what to research? "Huh, I wonder if the solving the hierarchy problem of the standard model will be groundbreaking and be of *utmost* importance to everyone here!" Ridiculousness. Scientific research needs to go in the direction that evidence points to, not where these idiots want it to go.

3) Maybe to a politician ignorant of the scientific process multiple tests for the same hypothesis might seem redundant, but peer review is one of the most important foundations of scientific research. It keeps out quack theories and incorrect scientific findings. It's what gives science its authority.

It's obvious these people's only exposure to science is an Iron Man film. Perhaps they should actually learn about how we do our job before coming out with idiotic proposals like this.

5. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    #1 also sounds like they're trying to subvert scientific research towards military ends...

6. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Clearly the best way to improve national security is to encourage all of our researchers to find jobs in other countries. That's how it works, right?

Point Given and Lord Vivec like this.
  7. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    Worked for me. - Hitler

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    As long as we get some Hulkbusters out of it.

Darth-Lando likes this.
  9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  10. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Honestly (And this is the only time you'll see me type the following clause) I'm kind of with Scalia's opinion on that one, namely "Get over it," though probably not for his reasons.

11. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Suffered through the whole thing, live at the Citadel. Raucous crowd, each campaign stuffed the place. Very unprofessional setting, but that's my home state.

As is generally the case in SC, we have a choice of two losers. Sanford- well, I don't need to say anything, what a bloody mess he is. But ECB comes across about as disingenuous as any local politician I've seen. I'm not sure why she's running as a Democrat- her talking points are primarily in line with Lindsay Graham's or John McCain's, the word "Democrat" is nowhere to be found in her ads, and she got all "aw shucks" when Sanford asked her why she wrote his gubernatorial campaign a check if his House voting record on dredging the Port of Charleston disturbed her so. She should have run in the GOP primary or as an independent, I think.

Sanford won the debate, but ECB is up 9-10% still. That will shrink, Im not entirely trusting of outside polls in local elections, but I believe that she is ahead. My district is so heavily GOP, I think that without top ticket motivation for Democrats (and a candidate who refuses to associate with them, just choosing to be the Sanford alternative), it will be very close.

I think ECB wins, 52-48. But she will be annihilated in 2014, so I hope she makes the most of her time there. She is the epitome of an empty suit. Which is unquestionably better than whatever greasy suit Sanford is, but still bleh.

12. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Bleh, the Cuccinelli for Governor ads have already started.[face_plain]

13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Terry McCaulliffe is in that race, right? I hope the Kaine people are heavily involved in his campaign- the northern Virginia area is fascinating in terms of how quickly and drastically the demographics have changed.

Nikki Haley is about to go on the air here. She's got a very tough re-election fight coming up.

14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, he is. I get emails from his campaign every now and again, so I expect his commercials to start up shortly now that Cuccinelli's started his (and he started off using the wife, too). It's going to be a very interesting election because in terms of the goverment and regulation it's gone far right (all republican everything), so it'll be interesting to see if last year's election, combined with some of the out there things Cuccinelli has said in the past have any impact on the election. All I know is I really really don't want Cuccinelli to end up as our next Governor.

15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I haven't read too much about that race or Cuccinelli- but I would not be surprised if the state house flips, it has alternated in the past, I think. Allen/Gilmore and Warner/Kaine, I believe, could be wrong.

McDonnell always comes across as shady- he may have poisoned the well for his lieutenant in the way Romney did for Kerry Healey through his social missteps. And some corruption charges, I believe?

16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    It wasn't that McDonnell poisoned the well for him (despite flipping for Obama, Virginia is still by and large a conservative state in many areas). More like Cuccinelli was just bat **** crazy enough for the GOP/Tea Party (especially the Tea Party) to change the party rules so that it was impossible for anybody other than Cuccinelli to get the State Republican nomination. The fact that Bolling doesn't necessarily have quite the same name recognition as Cuccinelli probably didn't help.

It's going to be interesting to see how things play out. Has Cuccinelli and the GOP alienated enough women voters with the recent abortion clinic regulations (which has already forced one clinic to close), or will sequestration impacts on the military areas on our state for more into the anti - Obama/anti - Democrat camp enough to ensure a Cuccinelli win? There's also the new tougher Virginia Voter ID laws to factor in as well.

Then you have the Clinton factor for McAuliffe. Prior to 2008, I would have said the GOP would have a perfect weapon in bringing up any Democratic candidates ties to the Clintons during their Presidential years (and it's worked against several Democratic candidates with Clinton ties in the past). Now, it maybe a double - edged sword bordering on potentially hurting the GOP if the Clintons come into play.

Again, several factors, we'll see how everything shakes out in November.

17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    up to 32 TRILLION offshore

“The real scandal is not all these individual scandals but the fact that world’s policy makers who know about this stuff, have basically done nothing.”

18. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    gimme my 4571 bucks!!!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  20. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I hope he can pass a drug test, because he might be unemployed next year.

21. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I do believe this is my favorite post in a long time.

Arawn_Fenn and Juliet316 like this.
  22. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  23. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

I can imagine it... how he continues to get play on national television is absolutely mind boggling.

24. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    I think the Clinton factor is one of the most interesting parts about that race. Clinton & Co. are fundraising out the *** for McAuliffe and he's given him many of his and Hillary's top strategists.

I think McAuliffe will pull it off (I've always thought it was a sleazy politicians though) as I think the Democratic trend of Virginia combined with Clinton's firepower and high probability that Cucinneli will say something asinine before November.

Juliet316 and KnightWriter like this.
  25. LatvianPotatoFarmer

LatvianPotatoFarmer Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2013
    Politburo of United States good. No take potato and burn family.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.