main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are the Jedi Council Forums a place for fans and praise only?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by CT-867-5309, Apr 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    edit, wrong thread

2. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    that was part of the over all post CTC, wasn't a response to yours so no worries :)

3. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    My response was to another thread. I opened the wrong one

Or, actually I guess it was the right thread but I read it wrong, I have too many windows open at once and I'm confusing myself :)

4. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    That about sums it up.

I've also come to the conclusion that the report button does nothing of value. In general action seems to revolve around the amount of reports recieved, not what the reports are about - just how many come in. Clearly the staff are getting so many reports that they can't even be dealt with on a case by case basis. This is something of a double edged sword because the staff has encouraged everyone to report posts that upset them.

I get not having the time to deal with a problem, but then just maybe it should either be left until one does have time or be left for another staff member to deal with.

Prior to the Temp Forum I don't ever recall the post reporting coming into play or being mentiond. Did the old forums even have a system to report posts?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    I think we should be able to discuss our disagreements, the way we've been doing (for them most part) in this thread). But I still think the boards might benefit from a "feel free to rant" safe zone/subforum.

Mikaboshi likes this.
  6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Complete with profanity and lewd pics!

7. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    Sign me up lol

8. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    To add another perspective [face_mischief] if I come across a thread by a new user that bashes SW or the EU, or what have you, it gets locked as a troll thread. No discussion, just kill it with fire :p

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Rob: nope, no report system on the IGN boards. If you had a problem you PMed the mod in charge of the forum and waited for him or her to get back to you.

In some ways the report button is simpler, but if people are reporting posts as "trolling" because someone is picking on Ahsoka Tano in LACWAC or an Ahsoka-related thread elsewhere (just to use an example), maybe it's too easy.

Merk: if someone joins the boards and the first thread he or she starts is "Star Wars sux," I understand that being viewed as trolling. But in this case the issue is existing users being told to "just leave!" if they say anything negative about any aspect of the franchise, and then getting edited, warned or banned if they retaliate--with no action whatsoever towards the person who says "just leave" or makes derogatory comments about "haters".

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  10. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I just want to touch base real quick on the report button question/issue since I'm at work.

We did have it at the temp boards.

The report button has many pros and cons. Some pros it helps other mods help out if that forums mods are gone. All moderators can view open and closed reports and how they were handled. It helps establish a pattern if a thread had multiple reports it could get locked for a cool down period. It helps establish a pattern if a user is trolling and causing issues. And when I say trolling I do mean serious trolling. Users can report harassing pms now.

Cons people can use it to carry out a personal vendetta against another user. People can use it to complain that someone is being mean. These are not good uses of the report function.

I personally love the report function. I love the added level of accountability. Anything I chose to handle and however I handled it is visible to every moderator.

Now with that said some things are still better pm'd to a mod or admin. If you are having an issue with a user you can always message a mod and talk about it and even setup a group message with that person and try to come to some sort of solution.

Those are my thoughts and feelings on the report button.

You received this Ninja message from Tapatalk

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    We've been having discussions on the misuse of the report button in MS.

Robimus and SithStarSlayer like this.
  12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I have reported posts due to knowing that that section's Mods were not logged in and only when the content was something either obviously spam/trolling or if it was a post that (if left unchecked) would start a range war in the thread. It should be a tool for assisting in keeping the boards running smoothly... not as the tattle button when our side of an argument is losing or our feelings are hurt.

13. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    One thing I liked about the report button (from the mod perspective) was that EVERYONE can see the report. Maybe not everyone will read it, but it's there for every mod to see. All the mods can be aware of who's causing trouble, who doesn't like who, etc. You don't run the risk of the telephone game like you do with private messages ("User X told me in a PM..."), or things being dealt with by one mod in a forum behind the scenes, without informing the other mod(s) of what's going on. These might sound like minor issues, but oh boy.....

14. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    good... it should really only be used in extreme cases (harassment, etc)... not every time somebody says something you don't like.

15. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    That is a benefit that I didn't know about, or consider. That does sound beneficial.

That said because staff do not respond to users who make the reports(at least I've never been responded to the rare occasions that I used the report button) it doesn't really seem like it is meant to be a line of communication. Clearly if the site staff are trudging through dozens upon dozens of reports every day for everything from actual problems to favorite characters being made fun of, it sounds pretty labor intensive to me.

That said I also know the report button has been used by people who were not happy that someone was poking fun at Dave Filoni(at least someone admitted to me that they were reporting every post that made fun of Midnight Cowboy - if it was true I actually don't know) , which to me seems like an example of misconduct involving that feature.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I'm pretty sure I've never used it.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Wow.

I've used it when I thought a thread was getting personal, and only in forums where I thought it was inappropriate that a thread got personal (i.e. I've never used it on a YJCC-tagged thread). I've seen some sort of action most of the time that I've used it.

If people are reporting posts that are making fun of favorite characters, etc., though...it seems that the staff is having to spend too much time sorting through which reports to respond to and which ones to ignore.

18. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I didn't contact you are asked you to Reopen it because there doesn't seem to be any poijt. Axelrd and company seem to be allowed to derail threads with impunity, taking all the fun out of participating in the forum. Add to that the promise of an eventual ban for not apparently towing the positivity line. I got the message that the moderators do not want certain types of conversations to take place.

19. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I can't speak for how the report function is being used now, only for when it was in use when the temp boards were up.

Mods, if this is all "top secret" info or something, you can edit this post.

Basically we've got a bar running across the top of our screen with a notice that pops up when someone's submitted a report, just like a notice for a PM. Any mod can read it. When it's opened, it looks just like a PM. And that's the tricky part -- we can respond. Just like a PM. But for whatever reason you guys can't see our responses, and it took us a little while to figure that out. Before I left MS we had basically decided that 1) we would respond to most reports (except the really ridiculous ones) with PMs to make sure that whoever reported the issue would be aware of how the situation was resolved, and 2) we would try to fix the report function responses. I haven't thought of the report function since then, but obviously something changed. We honestly weren't getting ten tons of reports or anything like that on the temp boards -- the main issue was people misusing it to tattle on someone they didn't like, for really silly reasons. And it was usually the same couple of people. But things have probably changed what with the advent of the Ep7 forum, and I wouldn't be surprised if people are abusing it in there all the time.

20. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I've been gone...so a bit late in responding.

To whomever asked if my initial "B" poster with a thoughtful "negative" post was then followed by poster "C's" rebuttal - and who was the "unreasonable" one?
    The one, B, C or F, or refuses to even consider another poster's point. My example was "B" plugging his ears and crying "wah wah wah." Well, sure, the ear plugger might well be C, or D, or Z. It might be the "positive" one or the "negative" one.

It's whomever refuses to listen to another viewpoint before rejecting it.

Anakinfan and I have had (at least in my POV) some interesting discussions because we don't always agree, but we do listen to each other. And I have certainly learned from her, or been forced to see an alternative view that I hadn't considered. Any "argument" with her provokes me to think and sometimes soften or change my stance.

So reject away, just say why (no, not 20 times) and why you don't feel the other viewpoint is relevant.

And PiettsHat, in my POV you always provide thoughtful, well reasoned positions and respect the other posters even when you disagree in part or whole.

(And personally, I feel that sometimes the POSITIVE posters are the ones being driven out of the threads by the unrelenting negative posters. I certainly have started avoiding threads - and in fact, TFN itself - because I am tired of hearing the same old same old "it sucks" and "it's crap" and "so and so would do this right.")

21. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I've never used the report function, and I don't plan on using it anytime soon.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Thanks. :) And eventually I hope to have some of those conversations in RL over coffee or on a hike in the Cascades.

But, there is feeling driven out of a thread because you don't want to read "the prequels suck and Kurtz or Spielberg should have directed them"/"Hayden Christensen can't act" (neither of which I agree with, BTW) or "Anakin should have never been given a Padawan"/"Jedi Trial and the Obsession comics did a better job on the Clone Wars than the show did" (which I sort of agree with but not completely)--and there is feeling driven out of a thread or off a site because other posters are telling you that "you're not really a fan," "you ****ing haters shouldn't post here," and "why don't you just leave?" The former is an opinion and isn't personal, it certainly isn't intended to drive the "positive people" away, even at its worst, it's venting. The latter is personal, is blatantly intended to drive away people who don't toe the line on "positive" opinions, and rarely if ever gets edited or warned.

Robimus likes this.
  23. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    What makes you think they didn't listen? They didn't change their mind, that doesn't mean they didn't read what was said. That's just a perception you have. Why is the burden on that other person to change their mind? If they didn't agree with a point the first time, why would they agree with it after 50 more posts?

You see the bias in that line of thought..................

24. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Reported.

OK, me neither. :p

25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm telling on you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.