main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Should Luke be single, married, divorced, or a widower?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by newdawn12, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthMateous

DarthMateous Jedi Master star 4

Aug 1, 2002
    Luke's a Jedi. Jedi don't get married. It's forbidden. So I'd like to see him in a role that's a cross between Yodi and Obi-Wan.

2. DarthMateous

DarthMateous Jedi Master star 4

Aug 1, 2002
    I don't want any EU characters to be predominant in the new movies. The recycled stuff from the books is boring.

kainee likes this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, awesome. I'd go see that in the theater several times.

DarthBreezy likes this.
  4. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    It was forbidden in the Old Jedi Order. Luke can make up his own rules. Considering what happened with his father, and the fact that family is the thing that saved him, it would be really dumb of him to incorporate the "no attachments" rule. I love Luke's comments in "The Jedi Path" about that.

5. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    To me, having Luke with a wife(alive or dead) and several children creates many more interesting possibilities storywise and characterwise than having him a celibate monk.

It offers good potential for stories, character growth/development and conflict/drama between characters.

Ex.
    1) Say that Luke got married, had several children and lived happlily while building up the Jedi Order. But not long before Ep VII the wife was killed. Luke took her death pretty hard and he became more involved with "Greater matters" than his children so he spent more time wandring around the galaxy and very little at home with his family. His children could react to this, feeling they lost their mother, whom they loved, but in a away they ahve also lost their father as he is gone much of the time. The children are grown up and this doesn't have anything to do with any of them turning to the Dark Side but it could give some intersting drama between characters.
    This could also involve Han/Leia, with Leia being more understanding and supportive of her brother but Han tells Luke to get his act together and that his children still needs him.

2) One of Luke's children is Force sensitive but doesn't want to be a Jedi. Luke is mostly ok with this but secretly he is a bit disappointed.
    The son/daughter could be using his/her skills in rather frivolus and self-serving ways, again nothing about them turning but enough that Luke might have to act in some way.

3) One child could be training as a Jedi and be a bit arrogant, saying things like "My dad is Luke Skywalker so I should get this, that or what ever."
    He or she could think that name alone means that he/she needs no training and the rules don't apply to them and so on.

4) The opposite case, where he/she feels that being a Skywalker means they have to fill some very big shoes and they could worry that they won't live up to their fathers legend. Or they could be have sort of a fanclub among other Jedi pupils and find this hero-worship uncomfortable.
    Or they could be like nr 3 and embrace that too eagerly.

5) You could use the somewhat trite and potentially cheesy plot of the wife is thought to be dead but is actually alive.

6) If you have Luke's kids and Han/Leias kids working together it could involve lots of character moments and reflections about their parents.

In closing, I think it opens up many intersting possibilties and thus it could work very well so I am in favor of it but wheter or not it works depends on the execution.

Bye for now.
    Blackboard Monitor

kainee, JainaSoloYJK and Ryus like this.
  6. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    We survived Boba Fett becomming a clone... we can survive this much easier than new characters in the same roll. We dont have to fall back on scourched earth pracities just cause this time her character would be a little different.

kainee and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  7. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Hell, Mara in the EU doesn't even match Mara in the EU.

8. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    You're thinking of the old Jedi Order. ;)

9. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    This is the heart of the disagreement, methinks.

kainee, Pro Scoundrel and Ryus like this.
  10. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Being that attachment, and the love of family, is what saved the galaxy I'm thinking that Luke will have a different take on what being a Jedi is than his mentors did.

11. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    This!

The defining moment of ROTJ - and perhaps the defining moment for Luke as a Jedi - was Luke's tossing aside of his lightsaber, refusing to kill Vader. This selfless act was in total defiance of Obi-Wan and Yoda's wishes - they wanted him to kill Vader, plain and simple.

I'd say Luke's off to a good start when it comes to rethinking the old Jedi way.

12. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    I think thats awesome business.

(mickeyvoice)Hey every body! Now you need to buy all these NEW EXPENSIVE BOOKS! MWAahahahahahaha!(/mickeyvoice)

And people will, because people love books.

13. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    This is what I was thinking.

Ryus likes this.
  14. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    You should ask the comic book business how making their universes muddied and confusing has worked out for them. They're not getting a lot of new readers these days because of practices like this.

Ryus likes this.
  15. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Agreed.

Ryus and Son of a Bith like this.
  16. Luke Heffernan

Luke Heffernan Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2013
    VanishingReality likes this.
  17. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    This is one of the least 'god help us, we're BORED' threads out there, and has spawned a lot of good conversation - this comment isn't really useful here.

18. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    He's new, he'll get the hang of it. :)

19. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    If we waited for Disney or Lucasfilm to confirm something we would have nothing to talk about. Well, I should say we would have even less than nothing to talk about. :p

20. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    Even if Luke by some unfortunate and highly unlikely reason had to be written out of the movie, there is no doubt that we'll find out in Episode VII what has happened to him, including if he married and had kids, so yeah, there is a point talking about it...

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  21. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    If Luke doesn't have a child then he's the last Skywalker. Maybe that's the way they'll go with the story, but it's not what I would bet on.

22. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

23. Evil--Yoda

Evil--Yoda Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 11, 2012
    He should be married.................................................................................................................... to the force. Like all good Jedi.

24. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    I'd say Luke's off to a good start when it comes to rethinking the old Jedi way.

---------------------

A Long time ago in a Galaxy Far Far Away...

STAR
    WARS

Episode VII
    SOMETHING OF THE YADDA YADDA

*opening text crawl, fades: Camera pans diagonally down to a new planet we've never seen before*

C-3PO: *paces along the hall to a temple like building, half rusted and one eye blinking on and off* oh, Master Luke I do believe a war has been declared, oh my

Luke: *turns from watching the sunset* Wars not make one great threepee-o

*End Credits*

Executive Producer
    Kathleen Kenedy

25. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, but he caught the force fooling around with Palpatine and it was shocking! :D

DarthBreezy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.