main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Does it matter if the new cast is cares abot SW or not?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Kay Suhyun, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Kay Suhyun

Kay Suhyun Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2013
    I have no problem with actors looking the new movies like just another job as long as they do their best, but some might disagree. Share your thoughts.

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Probably not but they'll make up stuff anyway with a boilerplate statement ala "Well, I was AWARE of Star Wars but just how rich the universe is I didn't know until I was in it!" or something like that. As for if they're fans beforehand, I could care less. Hell, I could care less if they hate the movie as long as the performance is good.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
  4. Iefan

Iefan Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 31, 2013
    In terms of the actual job I don't think it would change any factors, however for ME it would be disappointing for someone to be able to get the job of a lifetime like being in Star Wars and not appreciating their position. Also, I think it is possible for an actors fandom to alter their performance. If I was a professional actor and I was cast in Star Wars I would give my entire being to the part even if it was a Jar Jar Binks character.

JainaSoloYJK and Sum-Wan like this.
  5. Feng Shui Engine

Feng Shui Engine Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 24, 2013
    Star Wars is so ingrained in pop culture and it feels like almost everyone has seen them, so I think it'd be hard to find a Hollywood actor who doesn't at least have some appreciation of Star Wars, be it an old love of the first trilogy or thinking they're just neat movies. For example, Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, Sam Jackson and Jimmy Smits all had a great appreciation of the first trilogy before signing on, if I recall correctly.

Sum-Wan likes this.
  6. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I'm sure they will is care "abot" SW I mean who wood not [face_devil]

Jedi_Lantern and JainaSoloYJK like this.
  7. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    IMO I don't think the actors have to be fans like us who can discuss every bit of menutia ad nauseum. But I would hope they are fans and have a healthy respect for the Franchise. And I'm not really concerned since the vast majority of people in HW are influenced by SW in some way.

Darth Chiznuk and DarthBreezy like this.
  8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I don't want to read or hear an actor say the equivalent of "I was aware of SW but never really got into it, this is just a role I took." Someone may say something like that too, just with a more positive spin on it. Those are the people I don't think should get the job for this.

9. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    Agreed.

Alec Guinness thought SW was rubbish, and Harrison Ford didn't seem to care for it much, at least initially. And their contributions were and are indespensible.

Meanwhile, Samuel L loves SW, and his performance? Not so indespensible.

I know this second point is a matter of taste, and can be argued, but I truly believe that the actors don't have to "care" about SW, at least initially. They need to care about their performances.

10. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Alec's letters to his friend were amusing. Now when I watch ANH, I think about his "rubbish dialogue" comment. :p

Then again that was in 1976 when they were making the first Star Wars film. I would be disappointed if JJ just hired his buddies. If Zoe Saldana's interview were true, I have a bad feeling about Saldana's "I want to be a hot alien princess in Episode VII."

11. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
    lol yup. "Tennyson Ford"

GGrievous likes this.
  12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    "new cast is cares abot"
    :oops:

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  13. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
  14. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    JJ Abrams: Please, come see my movie. If no success, I will be execute.

15. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
    I will introduce you to my sister - she is number six prostitute.

16. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Great success!

17. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    High-five!

18. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    I think that most younger actors might not have the understanding of what the original "Star Wars" did for the film industry (the birth of the Blockbuster, special effects like rotoscoping, the "film franchise", etc). However, everyone understands it pop culture significance, and can probably appreciate getting a part in it. It makes little difference if they're fans or not if they're good actors.

19. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    I is think is that is most is actors is these is days is will is view is it is as is a is job is. But is they is then is will is realize is how is big is it is is.

-C

20. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Most of the original cast didn't care about it and they performed well. Actors are paid to do a job, the director should make sure they do it properly.

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    If the cast care about Star Wars slightly more than the title of this thread was concerned with grammar, we will be in moderate shape...

22. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    As long as they give good performances and make an interesting character, then I don't care about the actors personal likes/dislikes of Star Wars.

23. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    This sums it up for me

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  24. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Have to say I'm a bit surprised that I'm the only one so far who would prefer that the actors getting these parts actually liked SW before getting a call from a casting director... interesting.

Edit: Re-reading these posts now, I see I'm not quite the only one... others have leaned this way at least a little bit.

25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    The actors should let their hatred of the series flow through them.