main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Could Disney dare remake the original trilogy?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by dolphin, Dec 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MRCynical

MRCynical Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2008
    SW won't go into the public domain. Every time the copyright on big money-making franchises is about to expire, the bought-and-paid-for politicians extended the copyright term again. 2018 is the year to watch for the next example of that.

2. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    I predict it will be like Trek -- we'll get the ST and the spinoffs, and then the danger is being driven into the ground. Trek spawed movies, then movies with the TNG cast, the TNG series, the DS9 series, the Voyager series, and the Enterprise series. They drove it into the ground. It took pretty much 20 years. Thus requiring a reboot of the original characters that people remembered.

The PT sort of had that effect but it's early in the "driving it into the ground" lifecycle. But eventually, 20-30-40 years into the future, Star Wars will still be about the characters from the OT and that's what they'll try to capitalize on.

Original Oatmeal likes this.
  3. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    They wouldn't.
    If they want to win new fans and still keep the older ones, they don't need to remake the OT, they just need to make new movies in unexplored timelines (in the movies at least). I vote for the Old Republic.

4. TheRevanchist

TheRevanchist Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2012
    Hopefully not.

I said that it before that is is perfect as it is, and some shiny lightsabers and better fighting scenes won't make better movies.

If they want to make new movies (trilogies), there are a lot of events in Star Wars where they can do it.

Revious Nugo likes this.
  5. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    No. It wouldn't make tactical business sense to begin remaking the original trilogy AFTER releasing a whole sequel trilogy to it. Disney is not known for remakes, look at their entire catalogue of animated feature films, none of them are rebooted or remade, instead we see a steady wave of re-releases and remasterings to incite every new generation.

I believe Disney will assume this approach with the Star Wars saga; faithful remastered releases ever so often to fuel a new generation of fans. I think Disney's first release will be that of the original, unaltered films, as that just makes logical business sense.

kainee and DarthBoba like this.
  6. Artoo Detoo

Artoo Detoo Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2013
    I wouldn't be surprised if they did, seeing how films are being remade faster than hotcakes these days. I surely hope they don't, though.

7. Artoo Detoo

Artoo Detoo Jedi Youngling

Apr 24, 2013
    A release of the original, unaltered films sounds great! It would be awesome if Disney did that.

8. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    It would be interesting to see more complex and less plot hole-ish OT, but after the ST which will most likely involve OT cast, that would be useless.
    Perhaps the ST will serve as OT remake.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  9. Space_Wolf

Space_Wolf Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2007
    If they do, I will not be seeing it. I don't mind edits which fix bloopers, holes in the story etc, but redoing the entire trilogy with new actors, etc, I don't think that would be wise. I am open perhaps to new stories with different actors for Han, Luke, etc, because the time as passed so much that Harrison Ford or Mark Hamil wouldn't be able to play the characters if they are young in the story (and the idea of geriatric Luke and Han running around the galaxy doing stuff they did when they were younger is just as off putting in a film setting, if not more so, as it is in the novels.). New stories yes, but remakes no...

10. Darth_Panicius

Darth_Panicius Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 7, 2013
    If they do decide to do remakes (which won't be for another 10-15 years, if ever) then I would imagine that they'll be remade in chronological order rather than original release order

11. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I hope that don't remake ANY of them!

But if they were going to, and I had a choice over which trilogy - I would choose to remake the OT.

But again, please no!

12. Skelter

Skelter Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    I hope so!!

13. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Why bother? I don't see the need to remake both trilogies.

kainee and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  14. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Do NOT remake them, movies like Star Wars, Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings should not be re-made

15. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    It will inevitably happen someday and it wouldn't even bother me all that much. If the new version adds something new and interesting, good, if not then I ignore it.

We'll probably also get an OT remake sooner than a PT one because "classics" are usually preferred for remakes.

16. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I think if I were tasked with rebooting the Star Wars universe, I would start with Anakin and move straight through the entire story from beginning to end, rather than reboot the middle of the story first.

In other words, if the time ever does come it won't be remaking OT Vs PT, it would come in the form of rebooting the entire Star Wars universe. That may happen one day, probably a couple decades from now

Darth_Pevra and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  17. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    To the original question. No.

18. Jae-Dec

Jae-Dec Jedi Master star 3

May 20, 2013
    It wouldn't surprise me if Disney decided to remake the OT at some point. but IMO it would be a huge mistake. If they were to go down this road, I imagine they would focus on the entire series and not just one Trilogy.

19. Emperor Von Schweetz

Emperor Von Schweetz Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 12, 2012
    They had better not.

20. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    It would definitely make a buck.

21. Emperor Von Schweetz

Emperor Von Schweetz Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 12, 2012
    Which is probably the main reason that they would make it.

22. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    Yep.

23. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    It wouldn't happen in the near future, it would happen when support for Star Wars as it stands dies off among younger generations, that's when it will get rebooted for them. Probably 20 or 30 years from now or something like that.

Of course, we have no idea yet what the effects of these new movies Disney has in the works are going to be. That will remain to be seen.

24. SweetZombieJesus

SweetZombieJesus Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 12, 2013
    I agree, in that just like Star Trek = Kirk + Spock + Enterprise, Star Wars = Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader. That's what Disney paid $4 billion for.

I believe they will try Star Wars: The Next Generation for a while, but like Trek it won't reproduce the magic and they will drive the new characters into the ground with a lack of creativity, and then it will be time to bring Star Wars back to Luke and Vader, reboot time. I'd give it 15 years.

And you know what, if it's an alternate reality, I might not be against it so much.

25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    If we get a GOT type thing for a redone Star Wars I could get behind that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.