main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Coloring books, old and new

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kez-Iban, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Does anyone else have fond memories of the old Kenner coloring books? My brother and I used to love them and colored in them all the time. I dug my old ones out the other day and looked through them again, and then actually did some coloring with my 9 year old son who loves Star Wars and really loves to color. My Empire Strikes Back book with Yoda on the cover was almost completely colored in by me many years ago (I think only two pages are not colored), one of my ROTJ books (Luke cover) is pretty filled up but the other two ROTJ books still had lots of blank pages left. I also have two Wicket the Ewok coloring books as well. My son has been coloring like crazy since I brought these out! It's good to see him having fun with something that I used to enjoy. It would be nice to be able to get some more of these, so I'll need to keep an eye out for them. The Ewoks and Droids books from Dragon Books in the UK would be a nice addition too. My boy would really like a coloring books of the prequels as well, but they seem hard to come by these days. Just today my wife and I looked around Wal-Mart and Indigo (a big book store chain in Canada) and couldn't find one Star Wars coloring book. Maybe it's becoming a thing of the past. I guess Ebay might be the answer. I don't know if this is the right section for discussion of these, but since they are called 'books' I'll give it a try.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Wow... that brings back memories. I had some of the old prequel coloring books.

I'm going to leave now before I embarrass myself any further.

Actually no wait, I'm gonna go for the gold here. When AOTC came out they had two excellent coloring books, one for Jedi and one for Seppies. You heard that right -- and entire coloring book for the Separatists. And well, Jango. The Jedi one had all the council members and groupies like Kit, Luminara, Barriss, etc. Plus some of them were like, doing stuff around the temple. Just chilling and whatevs. And the Separatists were basically the same thing. They even had some of the attaches, like Denaria Kee even got a page.

Kez-Iban, if you can find them, they looked like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coloring-Book-Star-Wars-Attack-Clones-1-/370781143357

The pictures may be more detailed than the Ewok ones, but if your son is 9 he'll probably get a kick out of them.

Edit: Just realized that link wasn't an English version -- I got mine in the US, so apparently they were sold around the world. Interesting.

Kez-Iban likes this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I had a couple of them and I'm pretty sure I'm older than you are.

I didn't have children then but I pretended I did when I bought Star Wars stuff.

4. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    QFTx10!:p

"This Jango Fett coloring book isn't for me -- I'm buying it to keep at my house and let my nephew look at it. Maybe once."

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Of course my kids will rat me out if I pretend I'm buying something for them.

"Those are her action figures! She just lets us play with the ones that she takes out of the package!"

This is an actual conversation I had with my oldest:

"You need to clean up your Legos; they're on the living room floor."
    "But Mommy, those are your Legos."

And he was right.

6. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I wish I still had the money and space to play with Legos. WHY COULDN'T THEY HAVE MADE THOSE LORD OF THE RINGS LEGOS 10 YEARS AGO, I WOULD HAVE THE ENTIRE SET

Zorrixor and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  7. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    So if you color an Ewok green, is that canonical?

I am not going to lie, I bought A is for Ackbar and a Star Wars pop-up book on the chance I ever have a kid who can be enriched by them.

8. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    I`ll have to look for those Episode II coloring books. They sound pretty good! So now I know that there were coloring books from Episodes I and II, but what about Episode III? I`m guessing that a lot of scenes from that one would be considered too disturbing to make into coloring pages.

9. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    The Star Wars Literature Forum: one of the literature forums where people talk about colouring books.

10. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
  11. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Yeah, I have no idea about ROTS. The AOTC ones artfully skipped the whole Tusken slaughter -- something along the lines of "Anakin looks for his mother at the Tusken Raider camp. Here are some Tusken Raiders." I can't see that working for ROTS particularly well -- "Anakin looks for some Jedi at the Jedi Temple. Here are some dead Jedi."

(they also artfully skipped most of the AOTC romance scenes :p)

I think Lit needs to have an AA meeting for coloring books -- CBA, Coloring Books Anonymous. Whereby everyone admits to having colored star wars books above the proper age of 12.

12. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I got the Ultimate colouring book about 3 years ago and I loved it. It had pictures from the whole saga in it and I coloured every page. I actually want another copy so I can colour them all over again.

13. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    This thread lacks pictures :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TrakNar and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  14. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    [face_laugh]
    [face_rofl]

Edit: Oh, wait a second... I thought that was Luke and Leia, hence the explosion of laughter. Oh well. I feel cheated now that my initial assumptions have been deflated. :p

instantdeath likes this.
  15. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    Zorrixor I thought the exact same thing at first when I found it! [face_laugh]

Zorrixor likes this.
  16. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Yeah, they made coloring books for ROTS, because I have some SW coloring books for when my roommate's grandchildren come over, and they have ROTS stuff in them. No Anakin slaughtering Jedi younglings, and while there are pics of Anakin and Obi-wan Mustafar lightsaber deal, they skip the aftermath.

17. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Well, just color the hair blond. Nobody will know the difference. It's the magic of coloring books.

Zorrixor likes this.
  18. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    It is also one of the literature forums where any work gets 20 times the amount of discussion it would otherwise get by slipping in a continuity error.

19. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Oh boy, pictures! I was waiting for those! I should save a few and color them digitally.

20. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    I wonder what would happen if you coloured them in weird way.
    For example, give Luke and Leia another hair colour.

21. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I'm still trying to work out why Han and Leia are both cross-dressing in that image.

22. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    The Colouring Book thread. One of the threads where people don't read. o_O

23. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Cropping off the label goes without saying!

Son of a Bith and Zorrixor like this.
  24. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    No coloring books, but I have a couple of the 'draw SW books'. Only thing they proved to me is that I suck at drawing. However, scanning in some of the examples in there would work for a do-it-yourself coloring book.

25. KamSolusar

KamSolusar Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    I bought this coloring book a few years ago. Still don't know why it was titled "Power of the Empire" when most of the book consists of stuff from TPM. But there are lots of big images of podracers, the Jedi council members, etc.. that are quite nice. And at 400 pages you could probably swat a barabel with it.