main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Should Luke be single, married, divorced, or a widower?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by newdawn12, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    So you're saying that all the good Anakin did as a Jedi through the Clone Wars is to be forgotten because of his actions as Darth Vader?? I see them in a lot of ways as two different people.

I think that Disney will link their movies to GLs so even thou you may not like it I'm thinking Luke will play a huge part in Episode VII and the calling of the Dark Side is always going to be a big part of Luke's story.

kainee likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    We're getting off topic here, but...I hope Episode VII doesn't revisit Luke's "call to the Dark Side" as that was supposed to be covered in the throne room in ROTJ.

3. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    Do they just accept that she doesn't exist in the books? Or, if they start writing books about "Betty" do they then have two different EUs going at the same time? See? It creates a huge mess. This is why I think Luke will have a wife named Mara or no wife at all. If anyone sees a viable way around this please speak up, though we may have to move this to the EU thread.
    -------------------------------------------------------

so, forgive me if i'm wrong, but it sounds like you're saying that Episodes VII-IX should follow established characters set by Zahn.

Why? it needn't be confusing at all, treat his books as AU, create a "Timothy Zahn" type canon if you want, but Disney and the movies shouldn't be expected to be chained down by already established books. That is 80 percent of creativity thrown out the window already.

I'd love to talk about this some more but you're right, this isn't the thread to talk about EU as whole, I have replied to your post since you quoted me and thought you deserved a response :)

4. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    I did a bit but I think Luke having his wife taken from him will add to his character and keep him bordering on good and evil...so no Luke shouldn't be happily married in VII

kainee likes this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Z-canon.

kainee likes this.
  6. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    exactly :p

there problem solved

kainee likes this.
  7. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    An arbitrary number based on a jaded subjective opinion, from a person who has no knowledge of how much of the EU is in conflict with Lucas's 10 page story treatment. It also ignores the countless new continuities of established franchises using the old characters in a reboot that worked out just fine. Never once really limiting the writers creativity in the grad scheme of things, well no more than say including b-level avengers in the Avengers movie.

Mara Jade is just about as iconic as an EU character can get, who's role in the EU is very important if Luke is to have kids.There is absolutly no harm bringing her character back to basics and reworking her; just keep her past rooted to the Empire, her inner conflict with helping the Luke/rebellion, Luke and her developing feeling afterwards for each other, her being a force user, her general attitude, and her red hair plus green eyes.

People will be no more confused to learn of her past being reset back to basics as they are to learn Batman's origin story is being retold again. That way the EU still makes Disney a ton of money, EU fans are satied, and the writers still pretty much have free reign here they take the plot and characters from there.

Her character could be used to make Luke realize he needs tostick to the old ways and make Jedi remain being unable to marry, maybe still become the mother of his kids though, or be used to have Luke abbandon the old ways and accept marriage into his newly established Jedi order. I'd prefer the later... however in all sencerios Mara Jade could easily be used to answer what this thread asks. Really characters are just tools, they only limit a writer when they have no creativity.

Sum-Wan likes this.
  8. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    1. ok, maybe 80 percent was probably high on my end, and since Lucas tends to disregard EU in his movies anyway, I think he has his own stories in mind, But just as I have know knowledge of his story treatments, neither do you so that is a mute point at this time.

2. she's iconic because she's basically the messiah of star wars, a Mary Sue

3. not saying people will be confused, i'm not the one who said that, but what is the point of "resetting back to basics?" as you say she is an iconic character, people would complain left right and center if she isn't perfect to the way the books have her, trust me I've been around this forum a long time, they'd want Mara untouched,

best to have a totally different character if he is to have a wife at all, which isn't all that necessary to begin with.

JediGirl_Angelina and kainee like this.
  9. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    I agree with you in most aspects of your post, but I IMHO that's a little too much to ask to "just" keep

10. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    1. Glad you admit it. As to the pot shot, never said I did know. What I said was a simple story treatment by its nature shouldnt be conflicting to including some very popular and iconic EU characters if written by a team of talented writers. Disney paid for intellectual property and wants to make the most of it, using the EU for inspiration is its purpose.

2. She's iconic cause she has a huge fan basis, with some vocal minority who hate her. True her character at times in the EU needs work, but so does every movie character in the books have poorly written moments too.

3. Really? You have no idea how franchies work then. When you have over 100 books that have sold over 70 million copies and your about to reset the universe, you dont dump the popular characters. Instead you capitalize on them. Who cares if Batgirl or Harley Quinn didnt make it into the Batman comics till decades later? They became Iconic and therefore where used in every Batman animated series reboot and countless comics. We're now about to get a movie a year for the foreseeable future and a new animated tv show, there's plenty of screen time for EU characters and not using them is a failure to capitialize on a franchise favorite.

Giving fans a new wife would be far more insulting to them then changing Mara up a bit, more than likely fans will get behind it as long as its well acted and due to the nature of how Mara fans reacted to her death they'd likely just concider any changes to her the cost of keeping her alive. A price the vast bulk of them would likely gladly pay concidering how illogical her death was. Sure fans might react crazy for a few days, but in the end it will blow over like Boba Fett becoming a clone or Barris Offee becoming a terrorist.

4. As to the wife angle not being needed, it is if the name Skywalker is to carry on. Which was the plan in Lucas's known version of his eps 7-9 drafts before he condenced them down into RotJ. Luke was going to find his sister's son (with the last name skywalker) and train him to defeat the Emperor. However Leia is now more than likely a Jedi and fans will want her married to Han, so she's all but setup already to break the no marriage rule... so now what harm is it really to have Luke get hitched and have a kid(s) to carry on the name. Not doing so would only appeal to PT fanboys, and Disney has repeatedly hinted that they aren't their target market but OT fans are instead.

11. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    It was more just a basic summation... Im not glued to all of it being exactly like that. ;)

Sum-Wan likes this.
  12. Fluttershy33

Fluttershy33 Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2013
    Luke should totally be married in episode 7

In fact while the makers of movie are at it they should make R2,3P0, and Chewbacca get married as well.

13. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Chewie is already married to Mallatobuck.
    But the droids getting married...?

V-2 likes this.
  14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Luke will become insane and try to marry the Falcon.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. Fluttershy33

Fluttershy33 Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2013
    Chewie is married?I have learned something new this day.

Also I wasn't being serious about that droid part.

16. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    I won't respond to the first 3 points, as I really can't be bothered getting into all this EU stuff, and this isn't the place for it.

I will reply to the fourth point as it's the whole purpose of of this thread:

does the name Skywalker really need to carry on though?

the GFFA is a big place, it doesn't need to be "Skywalker Creek"

yes I get it, Anakin was remarkable because the force flew into Tatooine one night into Shmi's bedroom or Dr Plagueis or whoever did it, I get it, woot, but the name Skywalker doesn't need to be the be all and end all,

or is the abbreviation ABY for nothing?

shouldn't be the timeline be BA and AA (Before Anakin) (After Anakin)

17. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    While Mallatobuck appears in the books and comics, her debut was in the Holyday Special, and the concept of Chewie having a family and being married was probably created by Lucas.
    But back on topic, I do think Luke should be married (For the sake of the EU, widower, but of course, they probably won't follow it).
    A new generation of Skywalkers, that way their family will continue to be in the center of the movies.

18. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    No, in a sense you're right GFFA is a big place the Skywalker names doesnt have to be the end all be all.

However you're also applying this logic in the wrong place and time, since that is what the spin offs are for. The episodes should be about the Skywalker line and Luke having a kid is the perfect medium to bring old and new fans together and from there expand the universe beyond just the bloodline (by setting up spin offs) Its also a great theme to bring contrast to the last two trilogies and tie all three together, especially if it deals with life extension/eternal life quest since their blood line maybe the result of that tampering with the force... even if Plagueis isnt involved.

Think of it as these episodes should be about the Skywalkers, the spinoffs should be about others, and we can always get new "episodes" dealing with others like lets say Revan after this trilogy is done with and some other group after that... and years later have the kids from this ST return to star as adults passing on what they learned to a new generation.

Finally lets keep the dating system set to what the galaxy far far away can get behind, not people on the internet trying to make a barely sensical argument by taking something out of context to make some random point.

kainee likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That's not over. :mad:

20. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    So let me get this straight. Its all right to retcon a character you hate out of exsistance but not play with a favorite of yours. Sorry but I view that as a double standard.

We all knew from the moment the moment the cannon hierarchy was created LFL had reserved the rights to play with any creation made in their sandbox. This has happened repeatedly before and will happen again. You not being able to let go is the problem, dont develop attachments to toys that arent your. LFL views the EU as a testing pool for characters and ideas, best get used to it. They have every right to do so and if you believe they'll magically dump all the EU to preseve the toys the way you last saw them you're fooling yourself. They view these as a collection of tools that they can draw from at a moments notice.

Have I been upset with how they changed things before... oh yes indeed. Did I also view it as a chance for new and more stories with those characters, oh yes and after my initial disappointment secretly started thinking of all the new things they could do with X character. Treat Star Wars characters getting editted like mini comic book reboots and you'll be a lot happier.

kainee and JainaSoloYJK like this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    What the hell?

Damn, you act like I just destroyed a flash drive with your doctoral thesis on it. You do realize we're talking about a fictional franchise here? Not an act of Congress?

I can't even figure out what the up-on-the-pedestal lecture is even about.

But if I want Mara Jade not to exist in the sequels and I want to be pissed off about the retcon to Barriss Offee's character, I'm entitled to do so, and your calling it a "double standard" as if preferences for fictional characters can be attributed to some sort of character flaw...and getting your undies in a wad about it while trying to tell me how to "be happier"...is hilarious.

kainee and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  22. Sistros

Jul 24, 2010
    Ryus: I think I might have steered off the icey track I was trying to make,

my stance on the issue is this:

If the writers decide to have Luke married, great, I won't be muttering in my seat saying they've ruined it, but it should be because of plot only, not to shoe horn her in. Especially if it's Mara Jade, Some will say it's fan service, I say it's pandering for sales.

23. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Look your worshipfulness, dont blame me for you forgetting to include a sign of being sarcastic and joking instead of being serious. [face_tee_hee]

[s\] [/s] or :p or 8-} marks can make a big difference in how a post is inturrpereted. Especially vs a :mad:pic...

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'll give you a hint:

On this site I am virtually never as serious as your last post was, because this is a site discussing a form of entertainment. For the most part I keep my srs bsnss elsewhere.

The exception would be if I make a post in a social thread indicating that somebody got hurt or died.

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Well, I am literally furious about Barriss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.