main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Kathleen Kennedy makes announcement about spoilers.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by newdawn12, Apr 26, 2013.

1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
  2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    anakinfansince1983 and darthtuttle : yup, I am actually going the spoiler-free route too. I will limit myself to official announcements, official trailers / teasers, etc. I just know that part of me will want to read the information that I'll know is out there, but I will just not give into that temptation. As I said earlier, "once you go down the path of reading spoilers...". :p

I was also one who had the opportunity to be surprised by Vader's revelation to Luke in TESB in the theater in 1980. The cool thing is, I was able to repeat that for my son; when we watched the DVDs for the first time, we watched TESB second and I didn't tell him anything about that connection ahead of time. When we got to that part, I just watched his face, and he did have the desired reaction: :eek:.

3. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I'm fine with some info being released, it was done for the PT and didn't cause any problems.

I liked seeing concepts for Greivous and seeing images of Jango Fett, it's not like they gave away plot points about what happened to them it was just showing what they looked like and who they were.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I will most likely watch the trailers and look at "official" announcements as well. I can't remember how the NSA forums operated during the prequel days but I think that's what they allowed. And it's nice to have the "spoiler" tags on these boards that we didn't have on the IGN boards, although I do remember info highlighted in black.

I wonder if the definition of "spoiler-free" is different now than it was ten years ago and/or if fewer people care about spoilers--we had this discussion in LACWAC once after a few of us were upset that some spoilers for an upcoming episode leaked through. (I'm one who would always watch the episode trailer but ignored everything else.)

5. Vastor

Vastor Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    I want pics i want some info on characters, locations etc and we will get them just like we did before PT movies.Not to mention people getting info from outdoor sets like we get from all
    other movies.I cant wait for all the info and first images we will get this year OMG nerdgasm....

6. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Only spoiler for me is actually sitting down and watching the film in its entirety. If the experience is going to fall apart just because I know a plot point in advance, it's probably not a very good movie.

7. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I'm think Kathleen was only referring to things like that set photo of Zachary Quinto and Benedict Cumberbatch in Into Darkness that was taken with a long range camera lens. Mildly spoilerific stuff, but only in the vaguest possible sense. The aforementioned set photo gave very little away outside of the fact that

Spock and Cumberbatch have a fight at some point in the movie.

It didn't even give away whether it was the climax of the film or the mid-point, it was just that insubstantial in the overall scheme of things. If anything bigger than that started circulating the internet I'm pretty certain Disney's lawyers would be sending out cease and desists left and right.

8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm watching the web documentaries on my ROTS DVD and it is getting me very excited! :D I hope they do something similar for Episode VII. Gosh I can't wait!!

TreborSabreon likes this.
  9. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Looking forward to looking at pics and trying my damnedest to figure out what's happening in them.

10. Master Hamahiga

Master Hamahiga Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    I agree with the notion of finding a nice balance with the OT cast appearing in a pass the torch type role. A supporting role is the case for the OT cast, all accept for Luke Skywalker. Specifically, Luke does not require a ton of screen time; however, his impact on the film should be profound. For example, the same thing can be seen with Yoda and Obi-wan from the OT....little screen time....but no one would argue that they were secondary characters in terms of their impact on the story or its characters.

11. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I hate spoilers.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Co-signed. I can understand why a lot of people who spend all of their time posting on here speculating are upset at the prospect of spoilers, though... making up completely irrational scenarios for the next 2 years does seem infinitely more fun than knowing what is actually going to happen...

Darkslayer likes this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Abrams loves his mystery box shenanigans, he ain't showin' jack, no matter how much Disney wants to get in on all those precious social media likes and twitter followers. At most, we'll get like a hair more "official" info than we got from Into Darkness. Which may mean, like, 3 set photos that Abrams will probably personally photoshop out plot-sensitive materiel.

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Come on, Myke, making up completely irrational scenarios topped by being completely surprised in the theater is much more fun. :p

I'm having an "I like Abrams" kind of day today.

My "I don't like Abrams" days come when I hear about Lost, or how much he likes Mary Sue characters.

15. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    I agree, I want to see the old guys but not in the main roll. I want them in and out quickly like a meteorite streaking across the skies. Picture this scenerio: After a fierce battle Jacen Solo's ship is disabled and being pulled in by tractor beam for some modern looking Star Destroyer. Then out of hyperspace comes the Millenium Falcon with Han Chewie and Lando at the helm after making a several attempts at disrupting Star Destroyer with their laser connons, Han decides to ram the Falcon into the ship's Tractor Beam to save his son life. Han's last words" Over my dead body!" .....Boom!!!!!

Brief, heroic and sudden. This is the tone that J.J Abrams should place within the first 15 minutes of SW Episode:VII. By doing this he establishes the idea that no character is safe in this film and anyone can depart at anytime. Its what the new trilogy desperately needs!
    :cool:

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    You lost me at imagining Jacen Solo in the film...

17. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    DING-Freaking-DING. This franchise needs to establish that anybody can die to get some fans to get rid of this silly idea that "They wont kill off the OT cast. They are too iconic". Sorry....but nobody is too iconic to die. If we go through the entire trilogy knowing that our OT *and heck even new cast* are not going to die and are at no risk of doing so then why should we care? We know nothing bad is going to happen but if there is that big risk of "Holy crap...they just went there! Oh god nobody is safe now!" then that definitly makes the tension skyrocket and our emotional investment go up since we now fear for these characters lives.

18. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    My point exactly!
    =D=