main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Should Luke be single, married, divorced, or a widower?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by newdawn12, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I never said shoe horn her in. I said make her the mother of his Luke's kids (aka the main character of the ST), that's a big plot purpose to include her.

Let the nay sayers say what they will about whatever, we all know they're going to crop up no matter what anyways. [face_laugh];)

2. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Not being serious... then likes a post stating they too hated what they did with Barriss.

Yeah, ok, whatever... I totally believe you. [face_rofl] Your so not upset that I called you out and totally right that my thesis was just me being stupid (ignores the strawman falacy of your argument) ;):p

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    There may, perhaps, be a slight chance she "liked' the humor in my sarcastic input into said Barriss example. However slight...

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Again, what the hell?

Did somebody call somebody stupid? I totally missed it.

I made some edits to my last post. You might want to take a look.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
  6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Make sure that **** is loaded with butter and pass it.

I'm the evil ***** with double standards.

About fictional characters.

I like some of them and dislike others. ****ing hell, Satan awaits me.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  7. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Your edit is what I saw when I typed that up...

Anyways, I still have a point about how an 'entertainment' medium like LFL opperates and you insulted me cause you where talking about 'entertainment' and I was wrong for talking about the operation of the entertainment medium vs the entertaiment factor. I cant help it if you take issue with me viewing the same issue from a different perspective.

As to my last post, I was more laughing at the ironey of how your actions could be viewed differently than one intended after just discussing that with you. Which I still find really funny btw. :p;)

8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    There's extra butter and enough to go around. :p I knew it was only a matter of time before someone ripped into another poster for daring to suggest a fictional character be excluded from a movie so I had my popcorn ready! :D

kainee and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This is true... but solely because of your erotic innuendo the other night, you filth!

kainee and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I have not had a drop of wine tonight, which apparently is a mistake, and still...

What the hell?

I made no comments whatsoever on how LFL or Disney operates as an entertainment medium, because...wait for it...

I don't care.

All we're doing in this thread is speculating on what we would like to see happen regarding Luke being married or not. I don't think either Arndt, Abrams or Disney is reading this thread for ideas, so we're just talking amongst ourselves. Then suddenly you got bent out of shape and went on a raging tirade because I didn't like what TCW (a fictional show) did to one fictional character while I dislike another fictional character enough to, yes, want her retconned out of existence.

And while I didn't think you were Sheldon Cooper, the :mad:face was somewhat sarcastic. I'm irritated about what happened to Barriss but I'm a hell of a lot less pissed off about it than you apparently are at me because I dislike Mara.

But mini-golf is so much fun...

11. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    TCW made Barriss an interesting character. I was never attached to her before she became a terrorist.
    If you look closely her face is on my avatar's t-shirt.

12. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Nah, I think Anakin was a hero for the most part during the Clone Wars, but that doesn't make him a good Jedi. He broke Jedi rules, lost control of his anger and used the darkside all the time. He was pretty bad at being a Jedi, but that doesn't mean he couldn't do good deeds. As for Luke having a huge part in Episode VII, I'd love it. When did I say I didn't want a huge part for Luke? I just don't think that's the way they'll go. I'm thinking it's more likely that they'll focus mostly on the new generation, because we've already seen Luke's journey. Luke will most likely have a mentor role.

kainee, Vthuil and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  13. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Uh, yeah ok, not even going to dignify that.
    ---
    V-2 I hear year... while it did totally destroy everything she was (who's character I did enjoy), after I thought about it Barriss got a lot more interesting after blowing up people.
    ---
    Well back, Marriage.I say yes please. Me and anakinfan argue enough to be married anyways... oh wait wrong marriage topic. 8-}

Now more seriously, I just view kids and marriage as not only a great way to tie the 3 trilogies together but also Luke finding love after RotJ just makes its ending that much more happy in my mind. I also view it as a great way to capitalize on the EU and make a ton of money off it, even if they retcon it since nothing says they cant also acknowedge it as they change stuff via a vision or something... just making the EU a future that was in motion but eventually never came to be, similar to how Luke in Heir to the Empire got a vision of Mara defeating him on Jabba's sail barrage (thus requiring some EU characters to remain but allowing others to go, and allowing changing of all events that happened in it while stating they could have been the future after RotJ but events changed it). Thus making the EU a new universe of infinities which can continue to be published or not, plus allowing the best of the EU to be reexplored in new and exciting ways while for the most part retconning all of it. In other words none of us will know what stayes and what goes till they explore it or state it never happened.

Luke being married also opens up the door for more possible ways to play with Jedi characters in a post RotJ setting from a writing standpoint, and best yet they can keep the no marriage rule for the Old Republic days allowing for different ways to play with the characters in that time period. So imho Luke being married or not opens up the widest possible ways writers can have artist lincence since it will be he, not Leia that truly will define if marriage is now tollerable post RotJ... since one could always just excuse Leia saying she married before becoming a Jedi. Luke on the other hand is a Jedi at the end of RotJ, so his character is the fulcrum.

14. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I don't think any of the options is problem-free here.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  15. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Nah, I don't think they should follow the EU or Zahn. I've never read a Zahn book. I'm just saying if Luke has a wife then she has to have a name, and they might as well use the name that people are familiar with. It cuts down on confusion. I hope that makes sense. It's late and I'm pretty tired. :)

kainee likes this.
  16. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Truer words were never spoken. :)

kainee likes this.
  17. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I wish I understood all of the Bariss Offee references. I only watched season 1 of TCW. I remember Bariss from the clone wars animated shorts. I guess I've missed some things. :)

kainee likes this.
  18. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    How could we have seen Lukes journey if hes still alive...in VII he will be the most powerful Jedi in the Universe, who wouldnt want that story to be a huge part of the new movie

19. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Oh, lots of people. I love Luke, and would be fine if he's featured heavily, but several people on these boards have stated otherwise. I've also talked to people who've said they don't even think the big 3 should come back at all. The point I was making about Luke's journey is that a hero's journey often doesn't encompass their whole life just the part where they achieve their goals set up for them in the story. Luke may have more to do, but it's more likely the story will focus on the new generation because Disney will probably want new young heroes to take up the mantle.

Darth Chiznuk and Darth_Pevra like this.
  20. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    If you wanna know... be warned its the final 4 eps of season 5 (last season) and was one of the best arcs of the entire series. General rule of thumb is every season gets darker and more adult, though every season will still have more kid friendly arcs too.
    Barriss Offee is a Pacifest Jedi in EU, and in the show she is too until... in The final 4 episodes of TCW she got lost in her pacifism logic and due to this she bombed the Jedi temple due to blaming the order for being responcible for the Republic getting corrupted. She framed Ashoka, and due to clone trooper deaths and cilivian deaths the Jedi council let Ashoka be tried by the Republic courts also requiring her exile, where she almost got executed for Barriss's crimes.

To avoid too many spoilers, skipping ahead...At arcs end Barriss explains why she did it, Ashoka is freed and welcomed back to the order, even told it was her great trail and she's to be made a Jedi knight... however Barriss's words stuck to her and she realizes the council is flying blind due to the dark side coulding their visions since they couldnt see her innocence through the force. So she rejects their offer to return gives up her lightsabers and quits the Jedi Order... thus the debate if Ashoka survives Order 66 and the Dark Times and if Barriss dies on Felucia like she was supposed to in the EU however now she's clearly in Jail instead...

Barriss doesnt really go that Dark Side vs others anyway... its more like she has a mission mixed with touches of losing all grounding on right and wrong while trying to end the evil war herself... through any means nessissary.

kainee and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  21. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    I think using the Battle of Yavin as year zero proves that the galaxy revolves around Luke Skywalker. Essentially BBY- Before Luke joined Rebellion ABY- After Luke joined Rebellion. And a lot of Luke's motivation (I'd even go so far as to say the empire's very existence), is owed to Anakin. So it kind of already IS BA and AA.

kainee likes this.
  22. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    (On this topic for a minute, not thread related, it's over quick I promise...) I always thought Year Zero should have been after Endor, because that was either when the Empire ended or it was the first true kick toward getting rid of them (depending on your POV). ABY seems pretty Skywalker centered if you think about it. The Battle of Endor seemed like a group effort and the dating system should have reflected that IMO.

(Okay, back to your regularly scheduled thread).

kainee and VanishingReality like this.
  23. Vastor

Vastor Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Well like many fans i want Mara no one else even if she is dead like in the EU.Then of course luke have to have a kid,if it's Ben that would be awesome but a daughter would be great.

Ryus likes this.
  24. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    The last part of the heroes journey is "sharing the boon" with your own tribe anyway. Therefore Lukes journey should include helping another Jedi achieve greatness, maybe even surpass him eventually. Obi-Wan and Yoda were heroes of their times as well yet they stepped to the sidelines for Luke, their pupil. Only when the old is replaced by the new has the story gone full circle.

Luke doesn't have to die for that to happen, by the way. He could simply make the choice to not involve himself with fighting anymore, instead focusing on teaching.

25. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

:rolleyes: Is there NOTHING 'Sacred'? God, I swear that woman is like sand....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.