main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Let's get it on!: The Mixed Martial Arts Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by ClarkWayne, Nov 16, 2006.

1. JangoMike

JangoMike Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2003
    No I don't train. A former band mate of mine trains with Dan Henderson out of Team Quest in Temecula CA. I started watching MMA when Hendo and Bisping were the coaches for the Ultimate Fighter cuz he was always talking about it. I was curious to what all the fuss was about from my buddy. I pretty much got hooked from there. Its honestly the only sport I will watch.

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I was aware of UFC via Ken Shamrock when he was in WWE (the announcers would occassionally like to play it up), but it wasn't until I caught the first TUF finale that I got hooked on it via Griffin/Bonner. I was just absolutely amazed and spellbound by those two; couldn't tear my eyes away from the screen.

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Haha, cool. Thats when I really started getting into it too, that was the best season of TUF, in my opinion. The Penn-GSP fights were what initially drew my interest. The Hendo KO at 100 is probably my favorite sports memory outside of UNC's national titles.

Chael trains (or trained) at Quest too, I think.

4. JangoMike

Jan 13, 2003

5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Just as I clicked on this thread a Miller Lite commercial with Chuck Liddell came on.

6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I've seen that commercial, it's pretty cool. Word on the street is that Chael is calling out Wanderlei at 205. That is a horrible matchup, stylistically for him.

So, just out of curiosity, so we'll know for upcoming cards, who does everyone pull for in here, by weight class?

I'm:
    Fly: Dodson
    BW: Faber
    FW: Edgar
    LW; Maynard
    WW: Condit
    MW: (Sonnen)
    LHW: Henderson/Gustafson/(Sonnen)
    HW: JDS

And I like Rousey, I don't really know too much about others, aside from Cat Zingano being a mother and also a fighter- which is pretty awesome, and I have huge respect for her.

7. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I've been watching since UFC I although I fell out of it for a few years and got back into it with TUF.
    I've done a few years of BJJ, off and on. It is so much fun but I've messed my shoulder up and shouldn't continue (but Inprobably will at some point).

Speaking of old school MMA, I saw Guy Mezger this weekend at the grocery store. He runs a gym here in North Dallas and is incredibly shredded.

8. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    The original Team Quest from the old school days consisted of some big names, Dan Henderson, Randy Couture, Matt Linland (all long time friends and wrestling standouts), and Evan Tanner. Im not sure when Chael joined but im fairly certain he was training during that era of Team Quest.

9. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005

Same here. I watched the first few UFC events back when they were released on laserdisc, I lived in Japan at that time. When I came back to the states I didn't pay attention for a few years and then got back into.

10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I heard about Chael's promo. Silva's going to crush him.

Also apparently Jones' toe isn't fractured, just dislocated (Really? That thing looked nearly severed to me), and will 'only' need about six weeks healing and then rehab reportedly.

11. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    Chael is gonna put Silva on his back and he will also hurt him standing, Silvas chin isn't there anymore and Chael will win this fight.

12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, no. Wanderlei KO'd his last opponent and Sonnen's coming off a rough loss. I say Sonnen gets destroyed if that match happens.

13. JangoMike

Jan 13, 2003
    Im excited for a Chael VS Wandy fight....IMAGINE the hype building up to the fight....oh boy.........

14. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    Silva knocked out Brian Stann who was also outclassed by Chael.. Id have to say Chael beat him up worse than Silva did because anyone can knock someone out, Chael took this guy down at will and outclassed him from bell to bell, well until he subbed him...

Chael is a much smarter fighter than Stann and much better, Siva is way out of his prime and taken to many beating. Chael wins this fight based on better grappling and having a tough chin.

15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I suppose that's the wonderful thing about UFC. You can never truly know who's going to win and all it takes is a fighter having one off night.

16. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Chael's been abusing him in the press for a while now. If he/she comes from Brazil, assume Chael has insulted them already.

The problem could be Wandy's takedown defense- honestly, I don't know how strong he is on the ground anymore, he never fights there. He is capable of mashing Chael if he can get into one of his patented flurries, but I can't think of a comparable fight he's had recently, outside of maybe Bisping. Chael, Bones, Cormier, and Tyron Woodley are not beatable (outside of a 5th round triangle :p) when things go their way in a fight (i.e., they are allowed to dictate pace and location). There just isn't enough to go on at this point to make a guess, for me.

17. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    Yeah like I said Silva is way past his prime and been knocked out way to much... Chael IMO will dictate this fight and out grapple him for 3 rounds...

18. JangoMike

Jan 13, 2003
    Wandys take down defense is still pretty good, his career average is about 63%, which is pretty damn good. However, Chael has some of the best MMA wrestling in the game. It will be interesting to see how he does against that.

It makes for a great fight........

19. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Chael has the advantage in that match up IMO.

20. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    Ya but in MMA its hard to judge a man in percentages from fights from 6 years ago when now hes clearly not in his prime longer...

21. JangoMike

Jan 13, 2003
    I agree. Thats a correct assessment, but then again because its MMA, you just never know right!! Thats why i love the sport...........

22. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    True you don't ever know, but you can make a strong guess that Chael will put Wandy on his back and grind him out...

23. JangoMike

Jan 13, 2003
    I do agree, assuming the 63% TDD is still accurate, that leaves a lot of room for Chael to still land a successful takedown. We know that Chael is a beast and has the strength to hold him down. Its just a matter of, inbetween all that, does Wandy have enough to KO/TKO Chael.....

24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Keep in mind they are also about the same age (36)

25. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

Dec 30, 2012
    but statistics in MMA are useless like I said above.. What happened 5 years ago really has no bearing how a fighter is when theyre clearly out of their prime...

and for them being same age, Chael hasn't been knocked unconscious 900 times like Wandy either. Wandy is not the same fighter any more..